Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Raspberry Pi 3+, what would you pay? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Raspberry Pi 3+, what would you pay?

13»

Comments

• You might consider selling those boards in addition to hosting them. Although, I think there are already some products in this space.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    You might consider selling those boards in addition to hosting them. Although, I think there are already some products in this space.

Yes there are, but none with this feature set :) Considering selling them also.

Thanked by 2Letzien poisson
  • @terrahost said:

• Remote reboot - Resets the Pi
    • Remote power off/on - Fully power off the Pi via relay.

• Both of these features are controlled by a central Arduino with our custom code.
    • Serial Console, which is TTL to USB. Our PCB has TTL - USB chip per Pi integrated, as well as our own integrated USB Hub. All these are joined at a central Pi to direct console to the right server when the customer requests it in the panel :)

• One Pi can control serial console for up to 84 Pi's (tested!)

So, CH340 and some basic well, other TTL logic? Do you have that setup for multiplexing? I find this interesting.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

Pretty cool project, unfortunately I'm struggling to see the commercial opportunities here in it's current form. We live in a world of cheap and reliable x86 Virtual Machines.

Perhaps look at other boards with a better price to performance ratio. Look into sata disk options too (or co-locate somewhere you can get block storage - if you can meet certification requirements).

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2019

@SplitIce said:
    Pretty cool project, unfortunately I'm struggling to see the commercial opportunities here in it's current form. We live in a world of cheap and reliable x86 Virtual Machines.

Perhaps look at other boards with a better price to performance ratio. Look into sata disk options too (or co-locate somewhere you can get block storage - if you can meet certification requirements).

I think it's more about mingling with a Pi than beating 5€/mo Contabo/Hetzner/Kimsufi pricing because it just won't spec wise.
    However if you wanted dedicated hardware and get the most out of your Pi why not give it a go?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

terrahost said: Quick update, our prototype boards are just in!

Did you consider the Compute Module form factor?

Or similar developments elsewhere:
    https://www.pine64.org/?product=clusterboard-with-7-sopine-compute-module-slots
    https://www.pine64.org/?product=sopine-a64

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@SplitIce said:

I think it's more about mingling with a Pi than beating 5€/mo Contabo/Hetzner/Kimsufi pricing because it just won't spec wise.
    However if you wanted dedicated hardware and get the most out of your Pi why not give it a go?

While there might be a few people wanting that, I can't see a large enough use case to warrant the amount of work your investing honestly.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2019

terrahost said: It has KVM-like console access directly in our control panel (!)

A... serial console? Or do i miss something here? I doubt anyone captures HDMI...

terrahost said: We can of course use other hardware than the Pi, as long as it has the 40 pin headers. Others such as NanoPi Fire3 etc are en-route and will be tested on the board, expected to work just fine.

Nice board.

Do you power them on the GPIO pins? Keep in mind these are not fused and do not tolerate even minor overvoltage, unlike the micro USB.

Why the relais? There is a reset pin on the PI3... not sure what we had designed at EDIS back then, but it was fully digital cutting power.

Are this fuses low enough rated? They only blow at 1.5+ load usually.

Lastly, what do you input - 5V by the looks of it? Why not 12V and bucks per RPI? (Costs less than a relay and is digitally controllable-ish). 5V is horrible to get high A quality PSUs and cabling....

The RPi block diagram shows it is still crap, both SD and LAN share a single 480Mbit USB port on a hub with all other USB ports on top....

They kill SD cards left and right so most just have the bootloader there and use USB sticks - same performance anyway (well, better, shares same USB BW but way better flash than µSD).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

William said: Nice board.

Thanks!

William said: A... serial console? Or do i miss something here? I doubt anyone captures HDMI...

You are right, serial console. Should've said container like console. An operational demo board already has this working. And for it's purpose, it works great :)

William said: Do you power them on the GPIO pins? Keep in mind these are not fused and do not tolerate even minor overvoltage, unlike the micro USB.

Why the relais? There is a reset pin on the PI3... not sure what we had designed at EDIS back then, but it was fully digital cutting power.

Are this fuses low enough rated? They only blow at 1.5+ load usually.

Lastly, what do you input - 5V by the looks of it? Why not 12V and bucks per RPI? (Costs less than a relay and is digitally controllable-ish). 5V is horrible to get high A quality PSUs and cabling....

The RPi block diagram shows it is still crap, both SD and LAN share a single 480Mbit USB port on a hub with all other USB ports on top....

They kill SD cards left and right so most just have the bootloader there and use USB sticks - same performance anyway (well, better, shares same USB BW but way better flash than µSD).

Yes, we power them by the GPIO pins, and have good PSUs for 5V which are of high quality. OVP has been implemented.

We use the relays as we want to use any kind of board. Some boards may not have a dedicated reset pin. That is why we've implemented support for both.

As for storage. Since the Pi3+ support network boot, we may go the route of just network booting all Pi's, but since it's still in development it's too early to say.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thats a nice PCB, you got there, neat.

• Any updates regarding colocation raspberry Pi hosting? Do you guys planing to support orange Pi too?

Thanked by 1sin
  • @willie said:

reikuzan said: So you are saying you dont want to download pr0n 24/7 in a 100mbit connection?

To an SD card? Nah. I have a VPS with more compute power and a TB of HDD space for under $3 a month iirc, no need for the pi. Also have a Kimsufi with around 4TB of space for under $10.

A TB of space for under 3$? I am interested in that