Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Raspberry Pi 3+, what would you pay? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Raspberry Pi 3+, what would you pay?

Comments

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2019

@terrahost

$10 000

But on a serious note, it was about time.
    I don't know how much...
    Calculate a sustainable price for a certain period of return of investment plus added expenditures plus profit margins and see if people like it.

For reference, Scaleway C1 is your competitor at 3EUR/month... :| It's going to be tough, they've manufactured a lot of these... So their hardware is cheaper to produce, plus more powerful than the pies.

Anyhow, i love what you have in mind and wish you the best.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its norway, its kinda more SPECIAL, still the performance is crap on these PI's, so something in-between 3-7€.

edited April 2019

@terrahost
    PS: At the very beginning Scaleway started at 9-10EUR/month, but saw it was an immense failure and switched right away to 3EUR/month, then added a bigger diversity of larger offers. And that's how their project survived.

Their start, to me, looked like a nose dive, but, they managed to adapt to the right price people would buy and still somehow sustain and make a profit from it.

• EddingEdding Member
    edited April 2019

Well something more powerfull would be interesting and with gbit-connection.. since the Pi struggles alot with Encryption limiting network speed to around 50mbit/s ( AES-128)

• @Edding said:
    Well something more powerfull would be interesting and with gbit-connection.. since the Pi struggles alot with Encryption limiting network speed to around 50mbit/s ( AES-128)

Then what you are looking for is a VPS.

• I would consider it if the price is right.
    Something around €3-€6 would be good. As long as it includes a dedicated IPv4, IPv6 if possible.

• zhujizhuji Member

999999999999$

• 3-4$

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

Janevski said: 3EUR/month...Their start, to me, looked like a nose dive, but, they managed to adapt to the right price people would buy and still somehow sustain and make a profit from it.

I doubt that. I think they took a bath (lost a lot of money). They stopped deploying them fairly early so it was never possible to get them in quantity (the original idea was that people could use 100s of them for big computations), and a lot of the time they weren't available at all (if you wanted one you had to keep trying until someone cancelled one). Now there's plenty available which probably means nobody wants them any more.

I remember having one, cancelling it, then having quite a hard time getting another, so I held onto it when I got it, which in retrospect was silly because it's just been idling and I should really get rid of it. I use it for something on rare occasions but it's just not that useful.

• @greattomeetyou said:
    This has SATA, that means you can provide different HDD/SSD

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiplus2/

Are you designing it or just put these off the shelf boards into the rack???

that model too slow and hot running if you connected SATA. I just got myself one because SATA but really disappointed with performance

• sibaper said: that model too slow and hot running if you connected SATA. I just got myself one because SATA but really disappointed with performance

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think SDcard or eMMC last long, that's why I suggest architecture that includes SATA.
    May be armf is not a good match with SATA...

• FastmakoFastmako Member, Host Rep

It could be interesting to host Raspberry Pi Zero as storage servers for dirt cheap?

• What is the speed of your 100GB NAS Storage to/from the RPI?

• how do you handle abuse by dmca, free speech hosting, filesharing or public/private vpn ?

• BTW, locations?

• A PRO range 16gb USB drive (sandisk extreme?) instead of the sdcard.
    The NAS space is a nice innovation I feel.

Would you be able to price out additional space at 5euro /TB?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Looked up some providers offering RaspPi colo just to give some comparable offers elsewhere --

https://raspberry-hosting.com/en - €36/yr - 100 mbps in CZ
    https://www.endoffice.com/picolo.html - $9/mo - 100 mbps in Boston
    https://www.mythic-beasts.com/order/rpi - £5.75/mo - 1TB @ 100 mbps in UK
    http://www.fusa.be/en/hosting/special_colocation - €5.50/mo - 500gb @ 100mbps in BE
    I think RansomIT(?) offered it in AU for ~$10/mo IIRC

NOR would be a nice location, but since there are other EU locations close by that also offer this, you'll have to be competitive with your pricing. Keep us posted :)

edited April 2019

prq does it as well.

rented 15.35 eur/month own co-located 14.39 eur/month.

Thanked by 2uptime itgods
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2019

greattomeetyou said: This has SATA, that means you can provide different HDD/SSD

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiplus2/

Are you designing it or just put these off the shelf boards into the rack???

--

sibaper said: that model too slow and hot running if you connected SATA. I just got myself one because SATA but really disappointed with performance

Better off getting the Plus 2E and attaching a SATA drive via USB, will be 2-3x as fast as it has all the USB ports direct to the SoC and not through a hub. The Plus 2 uses a shitty usb2sata converter and it has it attached via a hub with the other USB ports and SDcard, meaning you start using any combination of USB devices and your performance drops quickly.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@TheRealDeal said:
    I would consider it if the price is right.
    Something around €3-€6 would be good. As long as it includes a dedicated IPv4, IPv6 if possible.

We would include 1 IPv4 and a /48 IPv6 prefix for every server :)

@greattomeetyou said:
    What is the speed of your 100GB NAS Storage to/from the RPI?

That would be the limit of the ethernet connection of the Pi 3, or rather the USB 2.0 speed, around 224 Mbps.

@vimalware said:
    Would you be able to price out additional space at 5euro /TB?

Yes we will most likely allow for extra space to be added. Cannot comment on price just yet.

• CptTzCptTz Member

Just like the soyoustart storage servers?

• lurchlurch Member

I'd be interested at $5

• I feel like I can get a better VPS deal.

• I would be interested if price is slightly less than SYS Arm storage and amount of storage is the same.

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

This is not a storage server and it doesn't have a local hard drive. It's a raspberry pi with a local SD card and a modest amount of NAS storage. Its main attraction is if you specifically want an online raspberry pi for some reason. Otherwise, there are other dedis, there are other ARM servers including ARM dedis, there are storage servers, and there are VPS, any of which might fill your needs as well.

Yes of course everyone wants super cheap storage, that goes without saying and it's why the SYS ARMs are always sold out. This isn't that. Even SYS seems to have stopped building those ARMs, though they have kept the existing ones running.

• Anywhere in between 7-10$/mo

• A /48 of IPv6 for an ARM computer is just crazy, just stick to /64's.

• @techhelper1 said:
    A /48 of IPv6 for an ARM computer is just crazy, just stick to /64's.

Pfft. It almost has enough address space (in RAM)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2019

techhelper1 said: A /48 of IPv6 for an ARM computer is just crazy, just stick to /64's.

So if anyone wants to set up an IPv6 tunnels to a few locations (which needs at least a /64 each), they should not be able to? Just because of an "ARM computer"?

I'd agree that a /56 would be fine, but just a single /64 is way too limiting for some uses.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Hi guys,

Quick update, our prototype boards are just in!

We are doing minor tweaks to the board the coming week and will have more production ready boards in a few weeks.

However, these already have features fully working, such as:

• Remote reboot - Resets the Pi
    • Remote power off/on - Fully power off the Pi via relay.

• Both of these features are controlled by a central Arduino with our custom code.
    • Serial Console, which is TTL to USB. Our PCB has TTL - USB chip per Pi integrated, as well as our own integrated USB Hub. All these are joined at a central Pi to direct console to the right server when the customer requests it in the panel :)

• One Pi can control serial console for up to 84 Pi's (tested!)

We can of course use other hardware than the Pi, as long as it has the 40 pin headers. Others such as NanoPi Fire3 etc are en-route and will be tested on the board, expected to work just fine.