Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is BitMitigate? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is BitMitigate?

13»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

ricardo said: as would keeping a gzipped version of a file, technically rewriting (entirely)

Not necessarily! Most upstream servers will support gzip themselves, so no rewriting would occur.

Of course, it's highly likely that their "proprietary WAF" that "rewrites the entire page" is just a stock nginx setup with some optimization plugins and a proprietary piece of code that modifies the nginx config, or maybe some custom Lua or whatever hooks to load per-site configurations.

• Weren't they terminated by Voxility? Cause of 8chan

• @luissousa said:
    Weren't they terminated by Voxility? Cause of 8chan

Yes they were

• @joepie91 said:

ricardo said: as would keeping a gzipped version of a file, technically rewriting (entirely)

Not necessarily! Most upstream servers will support gzip themselves, so no rewriting would occur.

Of course, it's highly likely that their "proprietary WAF" that "rewrites the entire page" is just a stock nginx setup with some optimization plugins and a proprietary piece of code that modifies the nginx config, or maybe some custom Lua or whatever hooks to load per-site configurations.

Isn't that what cloudflare is?

@Corey said:

@joepie91 said:

Partly. They do actually do some custom development, and have a lot of their own infrastructure. I certainly don't like CloudFlare, but they're absolutely more substantive than BitMitigate.

• @joepie91 said:

@Corey said:

@joepie91 said:

Partly. They do actually do some custom development, and have a lot of their own infrastructure. I certainly don't like CloudFlare, but they're absolutely more substantive than BitMitigate.

Sure, I couldn't agree more. :)

• ricardo said: as would keeping a gzipped version of a file, technically rewriting

Just a side note, but any serious optimization system will be compressing static files with Brotli rather than gzip.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

The claim was

@BitMitigate said:
    We don't just put content closer to the user, we rewrite the entire source code of your website on the fly to make it faster.

Compression is a transformation, yes, but it clearly is not "rewriting a websites source code".

BitMitigates claim is ridiculous and untenable because even if he could rewrite the websites source code doing that would in nearly all cases worsen time to paint (the users would experience the site loading slower).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeviLevi Member

Why there is a discussion on a deadpooled shady provider? They was booted out from voxility. Finito.

@LTniger said:
    Why there is a discussion on a deadpooled shady provider? They was booted out from voxility. Finito.

Unfortunately, I don't think they've properly deadpooled yet.

Also, hasn't "discussion on a deadpooled shady provider" pretty much always been the bread-and-butter of LET?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2019

@joepie91 said:

@LTniger said:

Also, hasn't "discussion on a deadpooled shady provider" pretty much always been the bread-and-butter of LET?

"Unfortunately"?

So if your political opponents and people with strongly differing views are not compeletly muted you find that unfortunate?

Oh, and of course muting thousands and thousands of people because a few of them committed a (really ugly) crime is perfectly fine with you. Freedom? For them, for your opponents? Nuh.

May destiny be more generous with you than you are with others. Because if your opponents think and act just as dirty and mercilessly as you do, you'll end up dead sooner or later.

Thanked by 1Letzien

@jsg said:

@joepie91 said:

@LTniger said:

"Unfortunately"?

So if your political opponents and people with strongly differing views are not compeletly muted you find that unfortunate?

Oh, and of course muting thousands and thousands of people because a few of them committed a (really ugly) crime is perfectly fine with you. Freedom? For them, for your opponents? Nuh.

May destiny be more generous with you than you are with others. Because if your opponents think and act just as dirty and mercilessly as you do, you'll end up dead sooner or later.

Oh, please cut out the indignant "are you trying to silence people who disagree with you" bullshit. Epik/BitMitigate almost exclusively host violent extremist groups, and you know it. I feel quite comfortable saying that yes, I would very much like a provider with that specific target demographic to vanish off the face of the planet.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Well I am going to close this like cloudflare did 8chan or what voxility did to bitmitigate.

This discussion has been closed.