Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Site copied
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Site copied

What do you do when someone rips off your site?

Comments

• udkudk Member

Call the internet police

• Go full Arnie on the muthafucka.

• DMCA notice. Preferably they're with a reputable provider who will take down the site if they don't comply. It's usually in provider's TandCs that the client does not host stolen content.

• 3 option :
    A) File Dmca complaint
    B) Moan on forums, name and shame.
    C) Both of the above.

• Have the cyberpolice backtrace them

• So who did it?

• send in a DMCA, or if they are located in a non-us country (or puppet state) then you are stuck. DMCA is a US law and does not apply anywhere else

• Have ColoCrossing DDoS Them!

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • ztecztec Member
    edited October 2013

Simply fill in a DMCA with google. That should fix your problems, his copied content would have no value anymore and you're not getting any penalties. I would leave it at that to save yourself time and headache.

• Ok, first make sure he really did copy your site and didn't just buy the same template.
    And it wouldn't hurt if you name the two sites here, wise people could advise you if it's indeed copied or not.

• c0yc0y Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    send in a DMCA, or if they are located in a non-us country (or puppet state) then you are stuck. DMCA is a US law and does not apply anywhere else

That's right, because every other country has their own local laws that do the same. Look up 'DMCA', it won't say "worldwide copyright law", it's just the copyright law of the US, they didn't invent copyright

• Just do what I said and you're done.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2013

@Frost said:
    That's right, because every other country has their own local laws that do the same. Look up 'DMCA', it won't say "worldwide copyright law", it's just the copyright law of the US, they didn't invent copyright

True but it's important the OP knows the DMCA limits.

• I believe its generally acceptable to shame the company that ripped your assets, as well as sending a DMCA request
    (I don't know how often they comply however).

• c0yc0y Member
    edited October 2013

@TarZZ92 said:
    True but it's important the OP knows the DMCA limits.

Then still, it's up the provider, because nobody in law enforcement actually cares (granted the datacenter is the provider or simply doesn't care either). The only thing the copyright holders can do is sue you or rely on the decency of the provider to take it down.

• Create a tutorial thread explaining what to do.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    send in a DMCA, or if they are located in a non-us country (or puppet state) then you are stuck. DMCA is a US law and does not apply anywhere else

DMCA might not apply outside the US (unless it's a US owned host or data center with a location outside the US) but every country has its own copyright laws so you can still file a copyright complaint with the host. Some countries laws may require you to get a court order from a court in that country in order for the host to be able to legally remove the infringing material

• Here's the site : http://trillionnet.com/

He was a former client, already asked his DC interserver.net and they don't care as the site is still live. I contacted them and they didn't respond in a way I expected. Here's their response.

it looks similar and seems you both used the same template. Although you both have similar things , thee are also difference are you can plainly see.. i will forward this to my supervisor for a final judgement

Tom

Interserver
    http://www.interserver.net

This is a design made by our designer, they have copied everything and made a few changes. You can check the URL http://trillionnet.com/packages.html

• public WHMCS checker (http://www.whmcs.com/members/verifydomain.php) reports that the domain trillionnet.com is NOT authorized to use WHMCS

• Already notified WHMCS.

• @rds100 said:
    Ok, first make sure he really did copy your site and didn't just buy the same template.
    And it wouldn't hurt if you name the two sites here, wise people could advise you if it's indeed copied or not.

Yeah it's a design which was created from scratch by our designer, they've copied every single bit just making some cosmetic changes.

• they've virtually copied stuff word-for-word, including using your VPS graphics when they actually only do reseller hosting...

• Yup that's right.

• He was a former client, already asked his DC interserver.net and they don't care as the site is still live.

@interserverML is a US company so send them a DMCA and they will have to care and take action. Make sure the DMCA is properly formatted...google for how to write a proper DMCA complaint.

• Have done that, they said they've informed their client and gave him 24 hours. Dunno why they're not acting upon this as it can clearly be seen.

• How did you find out he ripped you off?

• @johhhn said:
    How did you find out he ripped you off?

Someone contacted me.

• If you DMCA them make sure you send it to their Upstream and datacenter to make sure they don't just ignore it.

• @MonsteR said:

That was the first thing I did, thanks!