Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most CPU with minimum ram and modest HD - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most CPU with minimum ram and modest HD

2»

Comments

• gksgks Member

@falceso, @armandorg

Is Contabo solid for moderate workload? I am using netcup RS at this moment, I see Contabo is pretty cheap in comparison. Shame, I didn't know this before. Mine is mostly developer batch job like some Big Data/Data Streaming application, wanted a decent CPU and HDD and low traffic. They seems really good, wanted to know LET reviews.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@falceso said:
    @angstrom @Letzien Asked them in a ticket. Basically you are allowed to burst to the mentioned CPU allocation if the node is empty, but if someone else is using it, then you get a lesser CPU time. For example, if you get the 8GB VPS, you get 2 vCores, which means you can burst till two threads, but one thread is dedicated to you.

I'm not sure that their answer in the ticket is equivalent to "one thread is dedicated to you" (otherwise, they should say this outright), but I would agree (based on their answer) that if their node isn't overloaded and the conditions are normal, you probably can act as though you had one dedicated thread.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2019

Anything "dedicated" in a shared environment doesn't work out. This is especially true to CPU & RAM. You could have crippled (AKA capped) dedicated though.

The sooner you realize this, the better.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @angstrom said:
    I'm not sure that their answer in the ticket is equivalent to "one thread is dedicated to you" (otherwise, they should say this outright), but I would agree (based on their answer) that if their node isn't overloaded and the conditions are normal, you probably can act as though you had one dedicated thread.

They told me for all VPS's below 32 GB, half the vCores number gives the number of threads dedicated to the VPS. The rest is just burstable.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@falceso said:

@angstrom said:

They told me for all VPS's below 32 GB, half the vCores number gives the number of threads dedicated to the VPS. The rest is just burstable.

I see: okay, if they said "dedicated".

Nevertheless, they don't say this anywhere in the advertised plans (hence one assumes that the vCores are shared), so it would be hard to know this without opening a ticket and asking.

• @angstrom said:

@falceso said:

@angstrom said:

I see: okay, if they said "dedicated".

Nevertheless, they don't say this anywhere in the advertised plans (hence one assumes that the vCores are shared), so it would be hard to know this without opening a ticket and asking.

True, a lot of stuff is wip apparently.

• Thanks for the recommendations.

With all this talk collocating or overselling cpu then you have no idea how a product will perform until you tried it then? and asking on here how others found a certain company (which is what I have done).

Seems like a lot of votes for contabo and they look good HDD wise and price wise so I think I will go with them. I will wait til the end of the current billing cycle with hetzner (who I am currently with) then give them a shot unless new info presents itself in the meantime.

• @gks said:
    @falceso, @armandorg

Is Contabo solid for moderate workload? I am using netcup RS at this moment, I see Contabo is pretty cheap in comparison. Shame, I didn't know this before. Mine is mostly developer batch job like some Big Data/Data Streaming application, wanted a decent CPU and HDD and low traffic. They seems really good, wanted to know LET reviews.

Contabo is pretty solid for personal projects and I've also seen Brixly using them as a German location back a few years. So it works out in a professional environment too :)
    Check my signature for more info.

Tl;dr: Not the best but not bad either. Quite friendly support on phone and performance + price/resources ratio is good.

Thanked by 1gks
  • @Ympker said:

@gks said:
    @falceso, @armandorg

Contabo is pretty solid for personal projects and I've also seen Brixly using them as a German location back a few years. So it works out in a professional environment too :)

Tl;dr: Not the best but not bad either. Quite friendly support on phone and performance + price/resources ratio is good.

I just sent them a support query and they replied within like 15 mins on a sunday! Impressive! :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

@lowendguy7 said:

@Ympker said:

@gks said:
    @falceso, @armandorg

I just sent them a support query and they replied within like 15 mins on a sunday! Impressive! :)

Their phone is also available 24/7/365 daily from 8:00-23:00.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Ympker said:
    Their phone is also available 24/7/365 from 8:00-23:00.

That sounds like 15/7/365

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

@FAT32 said:

@Ympker said:
    Their phone is also available 24/7/365 from 8:00-23:00.

That sounds like 15/7/365

Oh lol. Yeah my bad. Ticket/E-Mail is available 24/7/365 though.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited March 2019

Hi, I am about to order and see the options are Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or 4114 processor so which one do I choose? I know next to nothing about cpus these days and even less about intel ones.

Why did you tell me to specifically choose 4114 over the others?

@cybertech said:
    Just go for contabo.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11481869

That's for 9 euros.

15 euros gets you 8cores.

Heck ask them if it's 4114 before signing up.

• Deepak_NagarDeepak_Nagar Member
    edited March 2019

If you want US location check them out :
    https://providerservice.com

4 cpu 8gb ram price :- 18€ monthly

• If you want EU location check here: https://www.host-expert.eu

4CPU 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD - 9.51€ monthly
    6CPU 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD - 13.08€ monthly
    4CPU 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD - 10.70€ monthly
    6CPU 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD - 14.27€ monthly
    8CPU 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD - 17.84€ monthly