Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most CPU with minimum ram and modest HD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most CPU with minimum ram and modest HD

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited March 2019 in Requests

I want to use for encoding quite a bit.

I am currently using 2 core hetzner with 4 gig ram for $5 per month but their scaling isn't suitable for my requirements since they only scale ram and HD at next level for $10 per month but CPU is what I need and then 4 core is $20 per month which seems too much when probably most of that price is paying for ram which I don't need.

Someone told me of servers at serverhosh maybe I can't remember of 4 cores for $14 a month.

Is there any better deals than that? 2 gigs of ram I think would be ok although maybe 4 since ffmpeg seems to drain it quit quickly and I have to restart quite often since it isn't released when scripts finish. But cpu is most important and I think 80 gig will be fine since I download videos, encode them, then upload and remove in cycles, but the bigger the HD the more I can queue at a time.

What do you guys suggest? Any better offers than the $14 4 core one?

Oh yes btw I would really like the provider to have an archlinux image or allow me to use one to install because I have had a hard time finding providers that will do that in the past so maybe that would limit my options. Still mention if they don't if it's a great offer but I always find it a big waste of time when I am having to learn other distros to find where all the packages are hidden for things I want.

Comments

• Contabo!

Thanked by 1poisson
  • But more CPU don't meant much. Good providers give more CPU access.

• What do you mean it don'> @cybertech said:

But more CPU don't meant much. Good providers give more CPU access.

What you mean it don't mean much? More cpu means more processing power, that means a lot I think.

• @lowendguy7 said:
    What do you mean it don'> @cybertech said:

What you mean it don't mean much? More cpu means more processing power, that means a lot I think.

You are fundamentally sharing with others on the node. More CPUs mean nothing if your share of max CPU processing power is limited by provider. Even if you have unlimited use of your allocated CPUs, if you have noisy neighbors on the node, you might not be able to get maximum processing power if they are hogging it. This is why bare metal is expensive.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • Try contabo. . .

• I can do 4 cores @ 3.4Ghz in Dallas with 4GB RAM and 100GB HDD or 30GB NVMe for £9.99/m.
    Xeon Gold 6128 with 3TB traffic @ 10gbps (Custom Offer)

Or you can get a very similar plan in our flash sales if stock is still available for £5.99/m

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited March 2019

@poisson said:

@lowendguy7 said:

You are fundamentally sharing with others on the node. More CPUs mean nothing if your share of max CPU processing power is limited by provider. Even if you have unlimited use of your allocated CPUs, if you have noisy neighbors on the node, you might not be able to get maximum processing power if they are hogging it. This is why bare metal is expensive.

Ye I get that but surely x % of 4 cores is better than x % of 1 core, all other things being equal ie if the noisy neighbors were in both situations.

• @lowendguy7 said:

@poisson said:

@lowendguy7 said:

Ye I get that but surely x % of 4 cores is better than x % of 1 core, all other things being equal ie if the noisy neighbors were in both situations.

Counterpoint: ColoCrossing 800Mhz "Cores".

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • @HostDoc said:
    I can do 4 cores @ 3.4Ghz in Dallas with 4GB RAM and 100GB HDD or 30GB NVMe for £9.99/m.

Or you can get a very similar plan in our flash sales if stock is still available for £5.99/m

is Hyper v/nested Virtualization enabled on these flash sale vpses ?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited March 2019

@Letzien

$1/month and I can give you a "100 core" VPS. No guarantees on the clock speed, though.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • @uxtvdl said:

@HostDoc said:
    I can do 4 cores @ 3.4Ghz in Dallas with 4GB RAM and 100GB HDD or 30GB NVMe for £9.99/m.

is Hyper v/nested Virtualization enabled on these flash sale vpses ?

Yes, it is.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I know it's hard to accept but, when you pay peanuts, you always get peanuts.

• @deank said:

I wonder what would i get if i pay potatoes?

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Janevski said:

@deank said:

Blight.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • eoleol Member

Buffaloes.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Janevski
  • @Janevski said:

@deank said:

Premium potassium

Thanked by 2Janevski eol
  • Maybe you can try @Francisco buyvm slice 1vcpu dedicated or @exception0x876 wishosting hybrid server ...

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited March 2019

Well all this talk of peanuts and getting peanuts I imagine I should get a few more peanuts than the peanuts I already had that is all. I am not expecting the earth.

Thanked by 1eol
  • What is your load average right now on your current vps? Might be useful to provide that.

Wishosting have unmetered CPU usage but it's fair share, if your encoding tasks are too heavy that might not be a good neighborly thing.

Hostdoc will let you burst your CPU above 25% per core per hour per day but after that it would be considered excessive use.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited March 2019

Just go for contabo.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11481869

That's for 9 euros.

15 euros gets you 8cores.

Heck ask them if it's 4114 before signing up.

• @lowendguy7 said:

You obviously have not experienced hosts that massively over-promise and under-deliver. They can advertise 20 core for your box but do you know if there are another 200 boxes on that node each promised 20 core?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

poisson said: You obviously have not experienced hosts that massively over-promise and under-deliver. They can advertise 20 core for your box but do you know if there are another 200 boxes on that node each promised 20 core?

The colocrossing special where you get 8 cores, each at 150Mhz.

Francisco

• Maybe you can check them out: https://my.zadeservers.net/cart.php?gid=10

The vCores are half dedicated I believe.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@falceso said:
    Maybe you can check them out: https://my.zadeservers.net/cart.php?gid=10

Where does it say that the vCores are half dedicated?

• @angstrom said:

@falceso said:
    Maybe you can check them out: https://my.zadeservers.net/cart.php?gid=10

Where does it say that the vCores are half dedicated?

I believe that translates to "You're allowed to use 50% of a thread for a few years at a time before you are in breach of the user policy."

• @angstrom @Letzien Asked them in a ticket. Basically you are allowed to burst to the mentioned CPU allocation if the node is empty, but if someone else is using it, then you get a lesser CPU time. For example, if you get the 8GB VPS, you get 2 vCores, which means you can burst till two threads, but one thread is dedicated to you.

• @falceso said:
    @angstrom @Letzien Asked them in a ticket. Basically you are allowed to burst to the mentioned CPU allocation if the node is empty, but if someone else is using it, then you get a lesser CPU time. For example, if you get the 8GB VPS, you get 2 vCores, which means you can burst till two threads, but one thread is dedicated to you.

So basically you need to keep a local load of one thread or less. That's really not the right way to go about it when your encoding unless timing is not a factor.

• gksgks Member
    edited March 2019

avoid virmach. Try with netcup, but I found netcup is slow with disk i/o, unless you choose SSD.

• @Letzien said:

@falceso said:
    @angstrom @Letzien Asked them in a ticket. Basically you are allowed to burst to the mentioned CPU allocation if the node is empty, but if someone else is using it, then you get a lesser CPU time. For example, if you get the 8GB VPS, you get 2 vCores, which means you can burst till two threads, but one thread is dedicated to you.

So basically you need to keep a local load of one thread or less. That's really not the right way to go about it when your encoding unless timing is not a factor.

Not sure how it works tbh. But the performance is pretty darn good, which is not surprising considering it's an i7.