Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SoyouStart] E3-SSD-1-32 Flash sale
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SoyouStart] E3-SSD-1-32 Flash sale

ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep
edited April 2019 in General

Hello,

I promised to have a SSD flash sale on SYS, here it is

Available FR / CA Datacenter (very low stock @ BHS (CA) datacenter)

+20€ setup fee

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/essential-servers/
https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/

Cheers

Comments

• Why is this on general? Also you can't post dedicated server with setup fee.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

ninzo59 said: +20€ setup fee

How many times is this now? The rules aren't that hard to grasp :P

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ECC RAM would have been great. :wink:

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2019

@yokowasis said:
    Why is this on general? Also you can't post dedicated server with setup fee.

@MasonR said:

To be honest, all our servers SYS/ KS "flash sale" are always including setup fee. I didn't remember about this setup fee rule though. I can stop keeping you guys in touch about these, but seemed you were demanding.

& Sometime it's not me who creates the post about a flash sale.. I don't put more infos.

Thanked by 1raynor
  • @ninzo59 said:

@yokowasis said:
    Why is this on general? Also you can't post dedicated server with setup fee.

@MasonR said:

To be honest, all our servers SYS/ KS "flash sale" are always including setup fee. I didn't remember about this setup fee rule though. I can stop keeping you guys in touch about these, but seemed you were demanding.

& Sometime it's not me who creates the post about a flash sale.. I don't put more infos.

Keep posted here. For sure this flash sale isn't bad deal.

Thanked by 1netomx

ninzo59 said: To be honest, all our servers SYS/ KS "flash sale" are always including setup fee.

That's irrelevant.

ninzo59 said: I didn't remember about this setup fee rule though.

It has always been there.

ninzo59 said: I can stop keeping you guys in touch about these, but seemed you were demanding.

That's not a reason to give you a pass to skirt the rules. Hetzner just had to remove their thread because they also have setup fees.

I don't mean to come off as hostile here, but I know for a fact you've been warned in the past that your offers can't have setup fees and have to be posted in the 'offers' section. And no, you shouldn't be held to any different standard here as a provider just because people here like your products or are 'demanding'

edited February 2019

@MasonR said:

ninzo59 said: To be honest, all our servers SYS/ KS "flash sale" are always including setup fee.

That's irrelevant.

ninzo59 said: I didn't remember about this setup fee rule though.

It has always been there.

ninzo59 said: I can stop keeping you guys in touch about these, but seemed you were demanding.

That's not a reason to give you a pass to skirt the rules. Hetzner just had to remove their thread because they also have setup fees.

I don't mean to come off as hostile here, but I know for a fact you've been warned in the past that your offers can't have setup fees and have to be posted in the 'offers' section. And no, you shouldn't be held to any different standard here as a provider just because people here like your products or are 'demanding'

I don't want any skipping pass. This rule does mean I can not post any offer like this on this forum anymore... then I will be compliant to this. About offer section you right, I should have putted it in offers section, just have seen similar post on general too.

Apologies for this,

ninzo59

• @MasonR - I know in the past there have been folks who've posted on the KS flash sales (and they've been very popular threads as well) - in general most of these kinds of sales have always had a setup fee component as well. Is it that these posts are OK because it's regular (non representative) users post them as a service to the community?

I'm just wondering how to go about with these kinds of sales/deals postings - they're obviously valuable to us as a community and they do come from very reputed hosts as well.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I don't find any problem with it, it is not in the offer section.

• @netomx said: I don't find any problem with it, it is not in the offer section.

So just to understand - one should NOT post in the Offer section if there is a setup fee? And as long as it is in one of the other sections it's fine? No other violation to worry about?

I know for both @ninzo59 and @Hetzner_OL who represent popular and reputed hosts here it's good to know this so that they can post appropriately and the community can still benefit.

edited February 2019

@nullnothere said:
    Is it that these posts are OK because it's regular (non representative) users post them as a service to the community?

That's correct. If someone else posts the deal, then it's fine. Or even if the provider posts it as a comment in an existing thread, that's fine. But a provider can't post an offer that blatantly doesn't abide by the rules just because it's in a different section of the forum.

@netomx said:

Okay, cool. Let me post a few offers in the "General" section for dedis that have setup fees and are over the $84/mo limit, then, since we don't have to follow the rules any longer :)

(I'm just playing devil's advocate here. If OVH is allowed to do this and post offers that don't follow the forum's rules, then why can't everybody? Why have an 'offers' section at this point if they can just post their invalid offer thread in a different section?)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2019

Regarding the actual offer, the EX42-NVMe from Hetzner with double the RAM for 5 EUR more seems better value to me. I bought two a couple weeks back. Used OVH for 10 years beforehand, but their prices just aren't as sexy as they were back then. Good while it lasted.

• @MasonR said: playing devil's advocate here

I hear you :smile:

So hypothetically speaking if @ninzo59 were to post (say) in the Cest Pit (informing the insiders!) and one of the snitches others were to repost this (as a non-offer informational post) we're all happy rule abiding LETizens?

It's just that I find these offers to be very valuable and I'd really hate to not know about them because of bureaucratic hurdles rules.

Thanked by 1datanoise

@nullnothere said:

@MasonR said: playing devil's advocate here

I hear you :smile:

So hypothetically speaking if @ninzo59 were to post (say) in the Cest Pit (informing the insiders!) and one of the snitches others were to repost this (as a non-offer informational post) we're all happy rule abiding LETizens?

It's just that I find these offers to be very valuable and I'd really hate to not know about them because of bureaucratic hurdles rules.

Yes, that's perfectly acceptable. Nothing preventing that.

Just don't get caught doing that as a provider (as in having an alt non-provider account to post offers like this) or you'll catch a banhammer pretty quick :P

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Where is @Neoon when we need him - you need to sneak up on @ninzo59 and post faster than him. Then we'll all be in the clear.

• ricardo said: Regarding the actual offer, the EX42-NVMe from Hetzner with double the RAM for 5 EUR more seems better value to me.

That's right. But the deal is still decent, and these are supposed to be available in CA (never was available each time I looked) which is interesting for those looking for that kind of machine in North America.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@nullnothere said:
    Where is @Neoon when we need him - you need to sneak up on @ninzo59 and post faster than him. Then we'll all be in the clear.

Well, sometimes I am lazy, and yea I noticed, everytime SYS or KIM gets changes, they run into caching issues.

Every fucking time, and they wont fix it.
    So I already knew, oh new offer.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2019

This is stupid. When a rule is obviously getting in the way of what everyone actually wants, why have such a rule. Reminds me of some disfunctional dictatorship states in their latter days, right before breakup.

Another thing, @MasonR it seems puzzling on what authority you are policing this forum, while you do not have a Moderator or Administrator status on your profile.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited February 2019

@MasonR said:
    Hetzner just had to remove their thread because they also have setup fees.

They even apologized

Thats the difference between ovh and hetzner

• @rm_ said: When a rule is obviously getting in the way of what everyone actually wants, why have such a rule.

I think we'll have to follow some sort of a democratic process to get the rules amended to allow whatever it is that the majority want. I don't know but I guess it is something to consider if this is indeed what appears to be popular opinion/desire.

rm_ said: puzzling on what authority you are policing this forum

He's just politely pointing out a violation of a normally enforced rule and he's perfectly within his right to highlight it - I don't think anyone took offence to it at all.

edited February 2019

@rm_ said:
    This is stupid. When a rule is obviously getting in the way of what everyone actually wants, why have such a rule. Reminds me of some disfunctional dictatorship states in their latter days, right before breakup.

The rules are there for a reason. Every single offer that's been posted with a setup fee has been removed in the past, why make an exception now? Just because everyone loves OVH? Nah, that's not cool.

Another thing, @MasonR it seems puzzling on what authority you are policing this forum, while you do not have a Moderator or Administrator status on your profile.

By formerly being a mod, I know what the rules are and the "loopholes" providers sometimes try to weasel their way through. I've personally removed at least one of ninzo's offers in the past for being posted in the wrong category and not following the forum's rules.

Call me a concerned LETizen or whatever you want, my apologies for caring about the community. Maybe I'll just bite my tongue next time as rules are broken and this place goes to shit.

• I thought about it.... but Canada is already out of stock.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

MasonR said: By formerly being a mod

I see.

Well.. didnt mean to make any rebellion here.

I m fine publishing on offer section. About setup fee.. lot of hosters do ones (online, hetzner, us). But except OVH brand (not SYS nor KS) since there are mostly setup.. I couldnt post those deals.

As reminder, I m mostly here to provide info, and you (LETusers) are very helpful with your feedbacks (even with some trolls :) ).

Sorry again, will follow rules now !

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2019

@netomx said:

Tbh without joining either side here: If one can just ignore the offer rules and post in general surely the rules are not meant to be kept. That would mean that anyone could post any offer in the general section without following the rules at all since it is not the "offer section". Often enough new providers get voted down or get trashtalked because they:

a) Don't follow the offer rules.

b) Post their offers in General

Is this to say there are no more offer rules? Don't get me wrong I don't want to come over as being offensive here but even though I appreciate SYS keeping in touch with us, this is the wrong way to handle it. Either allow it for ALL hosts to post their offers in general neglecting any of the offer rules which would make offer rules pointless as people could just post the offers they want to in another section. Or: Cut the setup fee thing from the offer rules and allow it that way for everyone too.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanked by 3MasonR ninzo59 eol

@Ympker said:
    Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for wording that better than I could.

Thanked by 2Ympker eol
  • williewillie Member
    edited February 2019

Sheesh, we've seen enough of these flash sales before to have had it observed that they are generally accepted and welcome. As for total enforcement of anything, no thanks, we don't need a police state, there is room for discretion. Bureaucratic workarounds are also silly. And yes (re @nullnothere), it's obvious from other posters' comments that some members were annoyed by the intervention. I'm also an ex-mod but I would have been happy to pre-approve a post like that. I'd only hold back on subsequent ones if there was pushback from the community.

That said, the EU version of this offer is less exciting than the BHS one. Would like to have seen more BHS stock. Also ECC ram in the servers would have been nice. Why use non-ECC ram in a Xeon machine? Smh.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2019

Of course, @MasonR is right about the rule.

However, it seems to me that the rule doesn't really capture what many people on LET are interested in. Everyone remembers the recent Kimsufi sale, which attracted a lot of attention:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155450/ks-4-flash-sale-2x2tb-for-8-99-9-99-setup/p1

The opening post was kosher because it was simply @Neoon informing us about the sale in the category General. Happily, @ninzo59 was around to answer questions, which people appreciated, but @ninzo59 wouldn't have been allowed to open the thread himself.

Something doesn't seem quite right about the rule as it stands.

Thanked by 3MasonR Ympker FHR
  • @sty said:
    ECC RAM would have been great. :wink:

It should be ECC, although 1600MHz RAM would have been great.

• angstrom said: Something doesn't seem quite right about the rule as it stands.

Instead of saying "No setup fees" (for dedicated servers), I might propose something like "Setup fee at most $21", where $21 is 25% of $84 (which is the maximum per-month fee for a dedicated server).

This discussion has been closed.