Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good self hosted file manager - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good self hosted file manager

2»

Comments

• Does anyone know of a file manager that has a split view that can display two different directories and allow you to copy between them etc (think Midnight Commander)?

• SpaceFM, PCManFM, ...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @eol said:
    SpaceFM, PCManFM, ...

Thanks but, those are X11 based, not web based.

• @Undergrid said:

@eol said:
    SpaceFM, PCManFM, ...

You're welcome.
    The question in question didn't state any web based relation.

• @eol said:

@Undergrid said:

@eol said:
    SpaceFM, PCManFM, ...

You're welcome.

Um, the whole thread is about web based file managers, why would I ask for an X11 one here?

• @Undergrid said:

@eol said:

@Undergrid said:

@eol said:
    SpaceFM, PCManFM, ...

You're welcome.

Um, the whole thread is about web based file managers, why would I ask for an X11 one here?

Um, why would you ask again, even if the OP already did that?

• @eol said:

@Undergrid said:

@eol said:

@Undergrid said:

@eol said:
    SpaceFM, PCManFM, ...

You're welcome.

Um, why would you ask again, even if the OP already did that?

Because I have a specific requirement for a dual pane style (like Midnight Commander) and none of the suggested ones so far filled that requirement.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Kiwi83 said:

@Obelus said:
    Does Veno require a web server?

I just bought Veno and it is really good. It has more features and easy to customize.

Filebrowser also has a stand alone version if you don't want to use Caddy. It’s just a single file, no dependencies needed.

How did the Veno setup went? Is the web server required? I will be running this on barebones vps so I'd prefer least amount of dependencies. So far, filebrowser seems like the best option.

• @Obelus said:
    I'm looking for nextcloud alternative that isn't as bloated, something nice and clean.
    What do you think about seafile and pydio?
    What are you guys using?

Where are you want to use these "things"? At home? On your home PC? Or somewhere else? This is very important.

Some time ago (not too long ago) I tried to search market for good alternatives to nextcloud / owncloud and everything mentioned above. And I found out myself, that everything is very bloated, or hard to install, or insecure, or not usable, or have different dozens of restrictions.

My goal is to store somewhere securely files (ideally encrypted) where I can simply access from my pc all files list, use search features, preview, and work with files like on home PC.

After searching for really a lot of alternatives and products (all of them good, but not good for me) I figured out, that is not what I need.

So, I decided to just buy any Linux server, encrypt filesystem by using ANY tool available and map a network drive to my windows PC.

https://github.com/billziss-gh/sshfs-win

So, I just use raw real file system from Linux server the same as like files stored on my PC by tools above

All my data is encrypted. I can very easily search for files, play videos, etc from a remote drive. And it's super fast, not require any installations, only just a few times click installer, and then I just mapped network drive (right click on Computer -> Map Network drive) entered address, and here we go = I have remote network drive over ssh attached to my windows PC which just works PERFECT.

Also, optionally, there are other solutions which offer encrypted out the box drive.
    Or you can use tools like cryptomator to encrypt your data and store it anywhere you want and connect through Cyberduck.

I really tried to search for a lot of solutions like you, and give up, because for me much easier to pay to sync.com, or mega.com, or any other cloud storage (with encryption) then to host it on my own server because of dozens of issues...

Thanked by 1Matt247
  • If I read the windows EULA I am not really sure if encryption or better:"encryption" makes any sense on that "OS" at all...

• sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited February 2019

@Obelus said:
    I'm looking for nextcloud alternative that isn't as bloated, something nice and clean.
    What do you think about seafile and pydio?
    What are you guys using?

Hahaha, when I had a TLS 1.3 bug over the past few weeks, all vsftpd, pureftpd, prodftpd were acting up when FileZilla client updated to v3.40. I tried to recompile from git since the sury repository isn't updated to the latest release. I can't figure it out sent some backward compatibility to downgrande TLS 1.2 but the member of the project didn't respond (krik2).

So, I gave up on FTP (as we all know, it's an ancient protocol back in the 90s) and went looking for a fast and easy solution. If you have a webserver+php already running, you can try:

https://github.com/prasathmani/tinyfilemanager

It's really quick and work out-of-the-box if you're the only one on the server. No fancy stuff. I personally think GUI is meant to work fast, for a more efficient (or complete and secured) environment, use the good-old ssh+sftp combo.

• @Obelus said:

@Kiwi83 said:

@Obelus said:

I just bought Veno and it is really good. It has more features and easy to customize.

Filebrowser also has a stand-alone version if you don't want to use Caddy. It’s just a single file, no dependencies needed.

How did the Veno setup went? Is the web server required? I will be running this on barebones VPS so I'd prefer the least amount of dependencies. So far, filebrowser seems like the best option.

Veno is very easy to install(upload, extract and done), but it requires a web server and PHP.

It sounds to me you have very minimal requirements for a "Nextcloud alternative". Maybe you just need something that can list the files in a certain directory on your server, so you or your audience can download them directly from the browser?

something like these?
    https://larsjung.de/h5ai/demo/
    http://demo.directorylister.com/
    https://www.keycdn.com/support/nginx-directory-index

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Kiwi83 said:

@Obelus said:

@Kiwi83 said:

@Obelus said:

Filebrowser also has a stand-alone version if you don't want to use Caddy. It’s just a single file, no dependencies needed.

How did the Veno setup went? Is the web server required? I will be running this on barebones VPS so I'd prefer the least amount of dependencies. So far, filebrowser seems like the best option.

Veno is very easy to install(upload, extract and done), but it requires a web server and PHP.

It sounds to me you have very minimal requirements for a "Nextcloud alternative". Maybe you just need something that can list the files in a certain directory on your server, so you or your audience can download them directly from the browser?

something like these?
    https://larsjung.de/h5ai/demo/
    http://demo.directorylister.com/
    https://www.keycdn.com/support/nginx-directory-index

Veno is great ;)

• @desperand said:

After searching for really a lot of alternatives and products (all of them good, but not good for me) I figured out, that is not what I need.

So, I decided to just buy any Linux server, encrypt filesystem by using ANY tool available and map a network drive to my windows PC.

Nice tool, is it possible to make it work with Android? It would be great if I can access it from my smartphone.

• Matt247 said: Nice tool, is it possible to make it work with Android? It would be great if I can access it from my smartphone.

yes, i saw several tools somewhere on github, forgot name (I'm do not use android frequently)

• @Undergrid said:
    Does anyone know of a file manager that has a split view that can display two different directories and allow you to copy between them etc (think Midnight Commander)?

maybe you will like Cloud Commander ?

• @Creling said:

@Undergrid said:
    Does anyone know of a file manager that has a split view that can display two different directories and allow you to copy between them etc (think Midnight Commander)?

maybe you will like Cloud Commander ?

That looks perfect, I'll try it out. Thanks.