Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For 30 Users Only! Very Cheap Dedis -the discount is rec forever!- - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

For 30 Users Only! Very Cheap Dedis -the discount is rec forever!-

2»

Comments

• E3-1271v3 exists though...

Thanked by 1dedimark
  • i just cant believe with 60 percent off. there is some catch here for sure.

• HostSailorHostSailor Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2019

@dedimark said:
    Hi,

https://clients.hostsailor.com/cart.php?gid=34

E3-1231 v5
    E3-1231 v6
    E3-1271 v5
    E3-1271 v6

all processors really not exist.

it's not fixed about ~2-3 months.

and why dedicated servers with Discount: 60% - RDNS Marked as FREE?

thanks for pointing it out, already sorted. Sure it's 60% off, No issues, It's just a limited stock :wink: Regarding the rDNS yeah it's free

@pakhosting said:
    i just cant believe with 60 percent off. there is some catch here for sure.

As mentioned, It's just a limited stock and sure it's 60% off :smiley: you can check the prices before and after the discount. That's why they fighting us :blush:

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • Does the 60% discount apply to the extra fee for Windows Server? I tried on the website and the discount was applied, just want to make sure.

• @HostSailor said:

@dedimark said:
    Hi,

E3-1231 v5
    E3-1231 v6
    E3-1271 v5
    E3-1271 v6

thanks for pointing it out, already sorted. Sure it's 60% off, No issues, It's just a limited stock :wink: Regarding the rDNS yeah it's free

i want to buy but can you please come on live chat?

@pakhosting said:

@HostSailor said:

@dedimark said:
    Hi,

E3-1231 v5
    E3-1231 v6
    E3-1271 v5
    E3-1271 v6

i want to buy but can you please come on live chat?

https://lc.chat/now/3930661/ our agents are available now

@fredo1664 said:
    Does the 60% discount apply to the extra fee for Windows Server? I tried on the website and the discount was applied, just want to make sure.

the 60% discount apply only 1 time for add-ons and for the next month you will pay in full because the recurring discount is on servers not add-ons

• Call it naiveté, but I tend to take the word of Krebs (who sources all of his writing) over a random person with no demonstrated history of equal or greater experience

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2019

@FHR said:
    Brian Krebs is a very respected security researcher that already helped put several cyber criminals in jail. I wouldn't simply disregard his research as a "random blog report".

With all due respect, the reputation of Mr. Krebs in (not wannabe) security circles is between mediocre and a joke.

For the sake of fairness: Afaik Mr. Krebs is a journalist, not an IT (let alone security) professional and looking at his work from that perspective he did and does some useful work, albeit not in the field of security (technical) but rather somewhere between journalism and detective stories. He seems to have some insight into the russian hacker scene though and his stories are often entertaining (I mean that honest) albeit technically meager.

I had a quick glance over the provided link and found a typical Krebs story: lots of assumptions, often unsound premises, and questionable conclusions. One should have way more and better to put on the table before smearing a company.

Disclaimer: I am not and have never been a customer of @HostSailor. I'm tempted though to test one of their super cheap KVM VPS.I'll report if I should get one and find anything noteworthy.

P.S. Funny side note: If only you had a 256MB mem,8+GB disk, 0.75+ TB vol. KVM offer fort sth. like 12€ annuay (+ VAT when applicable) I wouldn't have looked and found the HS offer *g.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited February 2019

Went for a look on the website: got pissed off with the popups! (That was with Adblocker)

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Went for a look on the website: got pissed off with the popups! (That was with Adblocker)

we have disabled the popup of the livechat, thank you for your comment.

@HostSailor said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

we have disabled the popup of the livechat, thank you for your comment.

Thanks - but there's still an obtrusive "Need help? Let's chat" thing hovering over the page.

I understand that a company wants to do marketing. But once one deals with existing customers one shoud stop those obtrusive gadgets. After all, the goal then isn't to win them but to not put them off.

• @jsg said: Thanks - but there's still an obtrusive "Need help? Let's chat" thing hovering over the page.

If you put your mouse over that box, an "X" appears that you can click on to remove the box.

Thanked by 1jsg

@angstrom said:

@jsg said: Thanks - but there's still an obtrusive "Need help? Let's chat" thing hovering over the page.

If you put your mouse over that box, an "X" appears that you can click on to remove the box.

Thanks but it comes back with every page reload. I think the real solution is HostSailor simply removing it.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @jsg said:

@angstrom said:

@jsg said: Thanks - but there's still an obtrusive "Need help? Let's chat" thing hovering over the page.

Thanks but it comes back with every page reload. I think the real solution is HostSailor simply removing it.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess that their target audience isn't necessarily annoyed by such things.

• That's one of the issues you have with a 3rd party chat system.

• @jsg said:

@FHR said:
    Brian Krebs is a very respected security researcher that already helped put several cyber criminals in jail. I wouldn't simply disregard his research as a "random blog report".

With all due respect, the reputation of Mr. Krebs in (not wannabe) security circles is between mediocre and a joke.

For the sake of fairness: Afaik Mr. Krebs is a journalist, not an IT (let alone security) professional and looking at his work from that perspective he did and does some useful work, albeit not in the field of security (technical) but rather somewhere between journalism and detective stories. He seems to have some insight into the russian hacker scene though and his stories are often entertaining (I mean that honest) albeit technically meager.

I had a quick glance over the provided link and found a typical Krebs story: lots of assumptions, often unsound premises, and questionable conclusions. One should have way more and better to put on the table before smearing a company.

Disclaimer: I am not and have never been a customer of @HostSailor. I'm tempted though to test one of their super cheap KVM VPS.I'll report if I should get one and find anything noteworthy.

P.S. Funny side note: If only you had a 256MB mem,8+GB disk, 0.75+ TB vol. KVM offer fort sth. like 12€ annuay (+ VAT when applicable) I wouldn't have looked and found the HS offer *g.

Whatever. Just look at hostsailor ip ranges dns records, and conclude that they are full of fake banking websites

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @packetnext said:

@jsg said:

@FHR said:

Whatever. Just look at hostsailor ip ranges dns records, and conclude that they are full of fake banking websites

but but... my REEEEE SPEECH.

edited February 2019

@packetnext said:

• Proof? I have yet to see anything tangible from you.
    • Even if that were the case, what exactly would or should keep me away from using a HostSailor VPS as a name server or to host a (normal) web site?
    • You have no problem when someone who definitely is not a security expert is introduced as a security expert but you do have a serious problem with a hoster based on Krebs "reports"?

I seriously hope you'll never need to call support anywhere because very, very, very many call center people operate with false names.

@vimalware said:
    but but... my REEEEE SPEECH.

GNU/FreeSpeech, please! Or even better GNU/Libre Speech.

Thanked by 1eol
  • You don''t need to see anything from me buddy

Do your own research before you buy instead of dreaming of a reliable host!

https://bgp.he.net/search?search[search]=hostsailor&commit=Search

ns2.commbank-activation.info
    ingklantenomgeving.com
    sparkasse-datenservice.com, sparkasse-datenzentrum.com, sparkasse-legitimationscenter.com

• jsg said: I seriously hope you'll never need to call support anywhere because very, very, very many call center people operate with false names.

what is this for response? you dont deserve my time

bye

@packetnext

The reliability of a host is a matter of technical factors - not of political or religious ones.

The domains you list prove what? Certainly not that HostSailors is criminal or supporting criminals. If anything at all it merely proves that there are quite some domains around that are similar to and/or trying to look like real domains of well known entities (like. e.g. banks).

If those domains were illegal then neither the problem nor the solution are at the hoster. Both are at the registries. What is a hoster supposed to do? To act as a prosecutor or as a court? I don't think so.

Which domains a client hosts is only his responsibility and under his control. To be precise, it's the client who tells e.g. apache or nginx to serve this or that domain. As I said, the problem and the solution with (supposedly) illegal domains is not at the hoster but at the registries.

I don't deserve your time? Great; maybe you'll stop to fight your private war here.

• well, all i can say is

merry xmas every one

have a Wonderful jingles

Thanked by 3eol aaraya1516 HostDoc
  • @jsg said:
    @packetnext

The reliability of a host is a matter of technical factors - not of political or religious ones.

The domains you list prove what? Certainly not that HostSailors is criminal or supporting criminals. If anything at all it merely proves that there are quite some domains around that are similar to and/or trying to look like real domains of well known entities (like. e.g. banks).

If those domains were illegal then neither the problem nor the solution are at the hoster. Both are at the registries. What is a hoster supposed to do? To act as a prosecutor or as a court? I don't think so.

Which domains a client hosts is only his responsibility and under his control. To be precise, it's the client who tells e.g. apache or nginx to serve this or that domain. As I said, the problem and the solution with (supposedly) illegal domains is not at the hoster but at the registries.

I don't deserve your time? Great; maybe you'll stop to fight your private war here.

Again I am not here to get replies about what I say

It is about me coming up with EXAMPLES and you doing your own research

They only host crap on their network (80-90%) no reputable websites

So why would you not pay 1 euro extra a month and get service with a rputable company instead?

@packetnext said:
    you dont deserve my time

bye

Uhum ...

• @ehab said:
    well, all i can say is

merry xmas every one

have a Wonderful jingles

Thanks.
    You too.

• i've read the words "trusted" and "high". hihihi...

• @jsg said:

That isn't true. Political and religious factors affect everything from search rankings, to IP blocks, and can even result in frozen accounts for the server provider. Never underestimate the impact of political, social or religious influence.

Interesting topic,

There is an interesting misconception in the world that everything in court needs proof. In truth, most modern courts actually operate on the reasonable person clause. And a reasonable person would assume the intent of a fake banking website is to steal data. So by knowing a client has uploaded this content to your server (more on this below), you could already be tried as an accomplice for an intent to commit fraud. This would be a stretch unless you have a history of this kind of behavior. Once fraud actually happens, however, it becomes much worse (as intent and awareness no longer matter).

Regarding the host, I don't know if you know how the legal system views accomplices. But, if you provide someone with tools and technology to commit fraud - you are an accomplice (ideally unknowingly at first). Some courts may turn a blind eye towards unknowingly aiding, abetting or being an accomplice but it is actually still punishable in most courts if they choose to do so. Once you've been made aware of the behavior and chosen to allow it to continue, however, you become an accomplice that is profiting off of illegal activities. As you may have guessed, this is actually makes the hosting provider many times more liable than the person who just uploaded the website. As you actually knowingly enabled, and provided the tools to their disposal.

In this case HostSailors - having been notified and made aware of their clients intended activities are now actually liable as an equal opportunity accomplice for any activities performed by those specific clients - and they would be found accountable in any court of law. They are just banking on the fact that the effort isn't worth it to foreign legal entities - and that will usually keep them alive as long as they keep their heads down.

Here, I think you have it backwards. The registry has no skin in the game although they could be charged with failure to disable the domain in most cases (assuming proper paperwork is filed). The servers containing the actual fraudulent websites (the physical data including stolen records) are actually stored on systems fully owned by the server provider who is now aware of them and choosing to allow them to exist - this makes them accountable as an accomplice under fraud. This is why hosts shut this stuff down, and if not their parent hosts shut it down. It is self preservation, not to be nice. These are physical machines belonging to the host. Think of it as you having stolen credit cards in your office desk that you know are there (because that is how the court will see it).

In actual fact, in most modern courts of law, having the data even unknowingly is punishable with jail time as they are their physical servers (that is why torrent search engines keep going offline even though they host no stolen data - think of it as having stolen property in your possession, even if unknowingly, it is punishable). However courts tend to provide an exception as long as their is a policy acting within reason to remove offending content once reported. But sometimes even that isn't good enough.

Which domains a client hosts is only his responsibility and under his control.

The problem is the physical ownership of the servers. They are under his control. And once made aware of the contents, becomes an accomplice by allowing it to continue to be used and taking payment for it. Thanks to the reasonable person clause, they can't even claim they aren't 100% sure of what it is being used for. Most likely is good enough.

I don't think anyone is fighting a private war. But I do worry your advice would put someone in a lot of trouble...