Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET Exclusive Giveaway: E3-SAT-2-32 server with OVH in Canada - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET Exclusive Giveaway: E3-SAT-2-32 server with OVH in Canada

13»

Comments

• Alright.

• good luck with your server

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    @corbpie Well there is asking questions and then there is be a dick. So which one do you fall under? I wouldn't except any less of you bitching about something for free. So the problem we have reached is why are you not following the advice given on the matter of being mad? Anyways have a good one and don't drop the soap!

I’ll take me bitching about something that’s free as a compliment. You finding it hard to differentiate between asking a question and being mad at something is truely a fascinating scenario.

Given question time is highly regarded in many aspects of life I believe lowendtalk, whilst it’s had it’s post quality dial turned to low in recent times a place that is still worthy of using the ? every now and then.

Dropping the soap is fine, just don’t worry about picking it up.

• @deank said:
    You know the end is truly nigh when "giveaway" attracts bitching because it's not good enough.

The end is truly nigh. I believe now.

Thanked by 1eol
  • If people didn't confuse "giveaway" with "throwaway" this thread would not exist.

Thanked by 2eol jsg
  • @ServerHunter said:
    OVH has just completed the server transfer into your account @mtsbatalha. Enjoy! :)

TimboJones said: My topic parsing failed. Can you tell me the expiry in "LET Exclusive Giveaway: E3-SAT-2-32 server with OVH in Canada"?

There's a difference between a topic and a title. "Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; example: a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic."

>

Is English your first language?

No, topic, title and subject all refer to the same thing. You're describing what the post you're about to make is about, so people will know what it's about before clicking into the thread. The conversations within the thread can be on topic or off-topic.

What you really meant to say instead of topic was "OP", as in the original post. And this is useless place to put the expiry, and confirmed by all of us annoyed by that.

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    @corbpie Holly crap can you be anymore negative? Do you bitch at yourself when you massage your own meat? Is it that time of the month again? Midol is fairly cheap too.

"Free meal" gets advertised.

Turns out it's the leftover scraps of food they couldn't finish.

"What? You don't want it? Fucking ingrates" ...

Thanked by 2alilet uptime
  • The Fun Police Is Here @jsg

EVERYBODY DOWN

• Thanked by 1uptime
  • Why are people even complaining about free stuff? like, come on...

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited February 2019

@cotopian said:
    Why are people even complaining about free stuff? like, come on...

Its not free when you have to give something. That something is promotion and or your email address

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@corbpie said:

@cotopian said:
    Why are people even complaining about free stuff? like, come on...

Its not free when you have to give something. That something is promotion and or your email address

When I find a quarter on the ground it's not free because it took calories to bend over.

Thanked by 1eol
  • MikeA said: When I find a quarter on the ground it's not free because it took calories to bend over.

Well yes the quarter you found on the ground isnt yours, its not free.

• @corbpie said:

MikeA said: When I find a quarter on the ground it's not free because it took calories to bend over.

Well yes the quarter you found on the ground isnt yours, its not free.

...says the cunt currently pulling down your trousers.

Thanked by 2MikeA uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

reminds of a joke about the so-called "efficient-market hypothesis" ...

Two economists walk past a $20 bill lying on the street.

One says, “Hey, look a $20 bill!”

The other replies, “Nonsense. If there had been $20 lying on the street, someone would have picked it up by now.”

EDIT2:

... so, I actually found a $20 on the sidewalk today. And you can be sure that I picked it up and put it in my pocket before somebody else did.

This "free server" though ... not so much. Glad to hear it made someone else happy though.

Also, the shitposts ... best things in life, free as the wind. Bless your heart LET, don't ever change.

EDIT3:

@ServerHunter the feedback is your friend. Maybe better to take your promotions more seriously lest they give the unfortunate appearance of extreme cheapness, bait-and-switch (inducements to jump through hoops for "a chance to win") or whatever other cleverness might appeal to a low-end marketing state of mind.

It doesn't take much to buy some buzz, but a little sincere good will can go a long way. (Look at how Lunanode, Hetzner, Inception, and others did it here in December for example.)

I will accept nothing less than the moon on a stick, $7, and debian pre-installed for your next giveaway.

Thanked by 2eol mfs
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

First: My aim was not to smear @ServerHunter or his offer. In fact I respect the man because he (like @Neoon) provides us with an attractive service, a server list.

The way I see it OP has 2 components, a free 16 days or so server giveaway, and an option to keep that server for a price that I don't consider attractive. The free giveaway component is all but worthless unless one happened to be in a rather specific situation like e.g. "if only I had a 2 TB disk server for a week or two then I could do XYZ".

Also, usually when we see something that is not free next to something that is free ("Free international calls!" or "free smartphone!") we know what it means ...

I was wondering why the giveaway was structured and presented the way it is. My personal subjective interpretation was that it strongly smelled like someone wanted something and had found a way to package it attractively. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe @ServerHunter is an almost holy man but well, that's what I saw and thought. So I wrote it. The fact that - and how - the giveaway was defended, up to the point of bringing VAT into the game (which was not mentioned in the OP) didn't increase my trust.

That said, I had and have no ill will or bad feeling towards SH and I will continue to happily use his list and respect and commend him for that service to the community.

As far as I'm concerned this matter is over and done and nobody should carry on bad feelings. @mtsbatalha has written that he is happy to have won, great. With one "but". The fact that the thread had been (temporarily) closed and at least 1 post (not praising OP) was deleted (it was undeleted later) and later @corbpie got dressed down in a quite unfriendly way. That leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • What amuses me is that: the fact that the server only had around 2 weeks of "free" period before its renewal date was clearly specified in the original post. I didn't see any comment regarding that fact during the giveaway period; only after the drawing did the "backlash" happen.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

Not that it matters much, but ... originally the OP just said "February"

It was questioned and clarified within minutes though.

@ServerHunter said:

Chuck said: 18th of February 2020?

2019, unfortunately. Edited the post to clarify. :)

EDIT2:

@pullangcubo I guess shitposting takes on a life of its own once the Soverign Letizen brigade gets a whiff of drama.

Did you notice much overlap among shitposters (hi!) and people who clicked "thanks" to enter? That would be funny.

EDIT3:

Also funny is that this thread is at over 1000 views - I'm guessing a large part thanks to the "controversy". (And the shitposts. Gotta love the shitposts.)

"They're traffic gold Jerry!"

Thanked by 2eol pullangcubo
This discussion has been closed.