Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET Exclusive Giveaway: E3-SAT-2-32 server with OVH in Canada - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET Exclusive Giveaway: E3-SAT-2-32 server with OVH in Canada

Comments

• @ServerHunter said:
    The giveaway has ended, here are the people that entered in time:

And the random seed for random.org is 8419LETGiveAwayRandomSeed9833:
    https://random.org/integers/?num=10&min=1&max=61&col=1&base=10&format=html&rnd=id.8419LETGiveAwayRandomSeed9833

Which means that @mtsbatalha is the winner!

Congratulations to them and thanks to everyone else for entering. :)

Many thanks my friend. I have replied you...

• one happy man mtsbatalha .... lucky .. lucky ... now share it :D

Thanked by 2mtsbatalha eol
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@ServerHunter said:
    If you win, I'll transfer the server straight to your OVH account. The server expires on the 18th of February 2019 and renews at 44.99 USD/month if you wish to keep it.

@mtsbatalha said:
    Many thanks my friend. I have replied you...

Congratulations!

checkservers.ovh said:
    E3-SAT-2-32 Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 4c / 4t 3.2 GHz+ 32 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 2 x 2 TB SATA3 €29.99 ~ €30/month

You just won a little more than 2 weeks of free usage of a 4C/4T server as well as the chance to use that server for a measly €180 more per year than the current OVH price.

Yay! Why pay 30€/mo when you can pay 45€ (+50%)? Hurray!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jsg said:
    Congratulations!

checkservers.ovh said:
    E3-SAT-2-32 Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 4c / 4t 3.2 GHz+ 32 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 2 x 2 TB SATA3 €29.99 ~ €30/month

You just won a little more than 2 weeks of free usage of a 4C/4T server as well as the chance to use that server for a measly €180 more per year than the current OVH price.

wow, I thought he gives away something decent.

@Neoon said:

Well, it is a decent solution - for @ServerHunter that is. He gets rid of an old server with a way too high price tag of 45€/mo and can now get the same for 30€/mo and save 180€ per year.

Thanked by 3mtsbatalha alilet eol
  • ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

jsg said: Well, it is a decent solution - for @ServerHunter that is. He gets rid of an old server with a way too high price tag of 45€/mo and can now get the same for 30€/mo and save 180€ per year.

I can do that regardless. I figured instead of letting it sit idle for 2 weeks, I can make someone happy with it. :)

jsg said: Yay! Why pay 30€/mo when you can pay 45€ (+50%)? Hurray!

Which server are you comparing it to? Because the E3-SAT-1-16 is only $3 USD cheaper, comes without the /29, half the RAM (but one more HDD) + $24 setup fees. The OP-SAT-1-32 would be more comparable but it hasn't been in stock since the 25th of December and some people might prefer an Intel CPU.

Besides that, I can think of various other reasons:

• They only need it for 2 weeks for some short term projects
    • They'd like to save on the setup fees for the server and IPv4 range
    • They haven't been able to snatch it while it was in stock

But you'll have to ask @mtsbatalha and all the other people that entered why they were interested. :)

Neoon said: wow, I thought he gives away something decent.

Looking forward to your giveaways :)

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

ServerPunter ... lol

EDIT2:

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.

Congrats to @mtsbatalha - if they're happy with the prize then that's a win.

@ServerHunter ...

good luck with your low-end marketing?

Thanked by 2mtsbatalha eol

@ServerHunter said:
    ... I can make someone happy with it.

By providing about 2 weeks of free service on a 4C/4T dedi? Well, I don't know the winner personally; maybe he is indeed dancing and celebrating.

Which server are you comparing it to?

To the OVH E3-SAT-2-32. I copied the specs and price verbatim from checkservers.ovh.

Thanked by 2alilet eol
    edited January 2019

jsg said: To the OVH E3-SAT-2-32. I copied the specs and price verbatim from checkservers.ovh.

You're looking at the EU price, this server sold for $44.99 USD/month in Canada. Even though you can no longer see the old price on their website, we have it archived on ServerHunter. :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Neoon said:

@jsg said:
    Congratulations!

checkservers.ovh said:

How did I know some snarky comment was gonna come out of your mouth. You can't stand being one upped.

To be fair. They have a VPS giveaway too.

Balls in your court now. However I highly doubt we will see any giveaways from your end.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@shallownorthdakota said:
    How did I know some snarky comment was gonna come out of your mouth. You can't stand being one upped.

I comment on what he posted, what gives?

To be fair. They have a VPS giveaway too.

Balls in your court now. However I highly doubt we will see any giveaways from your end.

Excuse me, lowendserv, we did give aways.
    Far before even Serverhunter or metaDedi existed.

Besides that, give away requires finances, I had no income for the last 2 months.
    So, no deadpool or giveaway, which is a good compromise for me.

Serverhunter uses affiliates, metaDedi does not.
    metaDedi mostly runs on donations, which do not even cover the full operations.

And people come and expect giveaways, maybe when metaVM launches end of the week.

Thanked by 3muffin uptime Yura
    edited January 2019

@ServerHunter said:

jsg said: To the OVH E3-SAT-2-32. I copied the specs and price verbatim from checkservers.ovh.

You're looking at the EU price, this server sold for $44.99 USD/month in Canada. Even though you can no longer see the old price on their website, we have it archived on ServerHunter. :)

That's pretty much what I thought and said. I do not doubt that the price for that server was 45$/mo back then when you ordered it. Today however prices are different.

Also, I don't see how "bought in Canada" is important. I'm quite confident that OVH and SYS don't turn you away when you want to buy at OVH or SYS Europe just because you are (I presume) a Canadian.

My point was that you (I guess not unintentionally) created the impression that you'd give away a free server presumably for a year or at least for 3 or 6 months, when in fact, Pardon me but that's my impression, you just tried to get rid of a (today) too expensive server and used the "free give away" as bait.

I might be wrong and I have no bad intentions re you but that's what it looks like to me. If you find that question interesting, just make a poll how many would have clicked "Thanks" if they had fully realized that the "free server" was just for about 2 weeks.

• Yep giving someone a server that has 2 weeks left is a piss poor give away. I wouldn’t even call it a giveaway, it’s left overs and measly ones at that.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Neoon gives away snippy snark and dank memes erryday ... with a jaunty 'tude to boot.

edited January 2019

jsg said: Also, I don't see how "bought in Canada" is important. I'm quite confident that OVH and SYS don't turn you away when you want to buy at OVH or SYS Europe just because you are (I presume) a Canadian.

This server is physically located in Canada. The prices between the datacenters differ. Just because it was 30 EUR located in Europe doesn't mean it was $34.43 USD located in Canada.

jsg said: My point was that you (I guess not unintentionally) created the impression that you'd give away a free server presumable for a year or at least for 3 or 6 months, when in fact, Pardon me but that's my impression, you just tried to get rid of a (today) too expensive server and used the "free give away" as bait.

The topic clearly mentioned the expiry date and, as mentioned before, I could have gotten rid of it regardless - I don't need to run a giveaway to achieve that. :)

corbpie said: Yep giving someone a server that has 2 weeks left is a piss poor give away. I wouldn’t even call it a giveaway, it’s left overs and measly ones at that.

Most people appreciate free things, but perhaps our annual VPS giveaway is worth enough for you. :)

Thanked by 1uptime
    edited January 2019

@ServerHunter said:

jsg said: Also, I don't see how "bought in Canada" is important. I'm quite confident that OVH and SYS don't turn you away when you want to buy at OVH or SYS Europe just because you are (I presume) a Canadian.

This server is physically located in Canada. The prices between the datacenters differ.

I got that - and that's why I limited my search to servers available in BHS. 45§/mo still is expensive.

jsg said: My point was that you (I guess not unintentionally) created the impression that you'd give away a free server presumable for a year or at least for 3 or 6 months, when in fact, Pardon me but that's my impression, you just tried to get rid of a (today) too expensive server and used the "free give away" as bait.

The topic clearly mentioned the expiry date and, as mentioned before, I could have gotten rid of it regardless - I don't need to run a giveaway to achieve that.

I bet that most who clicked "Thanks" only saw "giveaway" (~ free) for clicking "Thanks" and clicked Thanks.
    And indeed, both the title and the first part of your OP talk about "giveaway". It's only after the screenshot almost at the end that you mention that the "giveaway" is for about 2 weeks only and that, if the "winner" wants to keep the server, he has to pay 45$/mo.

What you wanted to achieve ... well, at the very least you achieved very, very many "Thanks" and whole lot of publicity and attention.

corbpie said: Yep giving someone a server that has 2 weeks left is a piss poor give away. I wouldn’t even call it a giveaway, it’s left overs and measly ones at that.

Most people appreciate free things, but perhaps our annual VPS giveaway is worth enough for you. :)

Not to be mean, honestly, but you lost my trust. I don't look at "giveaways" from you anymore after this here.

I like your dedi list site (and @Neoon's too) but that's about it. "giveaway"? Thanks but thanks no.

edited January 2019

jsg said: I got that - and that's why I limited my search to servers available in BHS. 45§/mo still is expensive.

I'm not sure why you keep saying it's too expensive when the same CPU with half the RAM and no /29 IPv4 is only $3 less + $24 USD in setup fees. That's 8 months before you earn the setup fee back.

jsg said: I bet that most who clicked "Thanks" only saw "giveaway" (~ free) for clicking "Thanks" and clicked Thanks.

Fortunately, @mtsbatalha is very happy with it - isn't that all that matters? :)

Thanked by 1nulldev

@ServerHunter said:

jsg said: I got that - and that's why I limited my search to servers available in BHS. 45§/mo still is expensive.

I'm not sure why you keep saying it's too expensive when the same CPU with half the RAM and no /29 IPv4 is only $3 less + $24 USD in setup fees. That's 8 months before you earn the setup fee back.

Because of e.g.

• E3-SAT-2-16 Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 4c/4t 3.2 GHz+ 16 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 3 x 2 TB SATA3 Soft[Raid] Avail.BHS (240H) €20 Setup €34.99/mo

which assuming 1 year rent ~ 35€ + 20/12 -> 36,67€/mo for 50% more hdd but less RAM (but still plenty enough for a storage box)

• E3-SAT-1-32 Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 4c/8t 3.4 GHz+ 32 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 3 x 2 TB SATA3 Soft[Raid] Avail.BHS (1H HIGH) €20 Setup €39.99/mo

which assuming 1 year rent ~ €40 + 20/12 -> €41.67/mo for better CPU and 50% more disk

jsg said: I bet that most who clicked "Thanks" only saw "giveaway" (~ free) for clicking "Thanks" and clicked Thanks.

Fortunately, @mtsbatalha is very happy with it - isn't that all that matters? :)

I'm glad to hear that and honestly wish @mtsbatalha nice 18 days with that server.

• @ServerHunter said:

This server is physically located in Canada. The prices between the datacenters differ. Just because it was 30 EUR located in Europe doesn't mean it was $34.43 USD located in Canada.

The topic clearly mentioned the expiry date and, as mentioned before, I could have gotten rid of it regardless - I don't need to run a giveaway to achieve that. :)

My topic parsing failed. Can you tell me the expiry in "LET Exclusive Giveaway: E3-SAT-2-32 server with OVH in Canada"?

Thanks

Thanked by 2eol robohost
    edited February 2019

OVH has just completed the server transfer into your account @mtsbatalha. Enjoy! :)

TimboJones said: My topic parsing failed. Can you tell me the expiry in "LET Exclusive Giveaway: E3-SAT-2-32 server with OVH in Canada"?

There's a difference between a topic and a title. "Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; example: a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic."

jsg said: Because of e.g.
    E3-SAT-2-16 Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 4c/4t 3.2 GHz+ 16 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 3 x 2 TB SATA3 Soft[Raid] Avail.BHS (240H) €20 Setup €34.99/mo
    which assuming 1 year rent ~ 35€ + 20/12 -> 36,67€/mo for 50% more hdd but less RAM (but still plenty enough for a storage box)
    E3-SAT-1-32 Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 4c/8t 3.4 GHz+ 32 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 3 x 2 TB SATA3 Soft[Raid] Avail.BHS (1H HIGH) €20 Setup €39.99/mo
    which assuming 1 year rent ~ €40 + 20/12 > €41.67/mo for better CPU and 50% more disk

Sure, so there is a cheaper option with worse specs and a more expensive offer with better specs. I totally agree with that. That's also assuming you don't have to pay any VAT and the EUR/USD rate remains the same. Those servers are $41.99 and $47.99 USD when you purchase it in USD. And you forgot the /29 IPv4 range. :)

Honestly, this is the last message I'll send about this. I never thought I'd spend more time defending the giveaway than actually running it. If you're not happy with the prize, then you are free not to enter the giveaway. If I was selling it (like some people here do), I totally get the criticism, but I'm giving something away for free. I had a server that I was no longer using, and instead of having it sit idle for close to 3 weeks, I decided to see if I could make someone else happy with it.

If you have any other questions, just send me a private message and I'll reply there. :)

• What about the 3 VPS’s that other providers gave you to “giveaway” is that something you class as “something you’re giving away for free” when it costs you nothing in the first place?

Thanked by 2doghouch eol
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2019

@corbpie Holly crap can you be anymore negative? Do you bitch at yourself when you massage your own meat? Is it that time of the month again? Midol is fairly cheap too.

Thanked by 1imok
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2019

You know the end is truly nigh when "giveaway" attracts bitching because it's not good enough.

• @deank said:
    You know the end is truly nigh when "giveaway" attracts bitching because it's not good enough.

Well you’re not going to be doing much with a server that’ll only last two weeks lol

• @doghouch said:

@deank said:

Well you’re not going to be doing much with a server that’ll only last two weeks lol

Time to email the world!

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2019

@doghouch said:

True, it sucks. But it was given for free of charge. Bitching is uncalled for. All one had to do was click "thanks" and count the stars for luck.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited February 2019

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    @corbpie Holly crap can you be anymore negative? Do you bitch at yourself when you massage your own meat? Is it that time of the month again? Midol is fairly cheap too.

Am i not allowed to ask a question big fella? Sorry if it got you hurt but its a forum. Relax and maybe take a trip to Asia and get some massages if youre stressing out because hey mate you cant be letting little things rile you up.

I suggest you even listen to some relaxation podcasts or talk to a therapist, whatever though dont let someone asking a question get the blood pressure high, its not healthy.

Thanked by 2mfs samm

@corbpie Well there is asking questions and then there is be a dick. So which one do you fall under? I wouldn't except any less of you bitching about something for free. So the problem we have reached is why are you not following the advice given on the matter of being mad? Anyways have a good one and don't drop the soap!

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Well there is asking questions and then there is be a dick.

50 shades of dick.
    But not in this case imho.

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten

@eol Well we can agree to disagree on the matter.

Thanked by 1eol
This discussion has been closed.