Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-4 Flash sale, 2x2TB for 8.99€ + 9.99€ Setup - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-4 Flash sale, 2x2TB for 8.99€ + 9.99€ Setup

Comments

• Wonderful deal, but 100mbit kills it for me. Too slow

Thanked by 2eol t0m
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited January 2019

-deleted-
    off to sleep

Thanked by 1eol
  • ... got one, and carelessly re-installed my other server in the same control panel, wiping 2 TB of data. Backups of backups but still ... lol.

• eoleol Member

@vish said:
    Wonderful deal, but 100mbit kills it for me. Too slow

I agree.
    Also I am allergic to setup fees.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I need one, but in CA

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2019

@eol said:

@vish said:
    Wonderful deal, but 100mbit kills it for me. Too slow

I agree.
    Also I am allergic to setup fees.

I understand you well. But I guess setup costs serve both as a marketing trick (putting some part of the monthly price into setup) and a filter (because not too unhappy at least) customers who paid a setup fee tend to stay longer. Plus it's pyschologically a certain commitment from the customers. In other words: they probably target for long term customers while trying to keep those who jump from one "cool deal of the month" to the next one.

Maybe I'm a bit outside of mainstream but I tend to prefer yearly deals anyway (but am picky with providers) and so "divide setup by 12 and add it to monthly" works fine.

Which reminds me of a small plus I forgot to mention about netcup: the deal (with my low price) is annual but payment is two times 6 months front up - which probably makes it easier for students and other people for whom paying 2 x, say, 40€ instead of 80€ is a bit easier. Just a small detail but one of some more which made me think that netcup is quite picky but really cares about their customers quite well. Similar with OVH maybe? (Don't know, had only one server with them years ago).

Thanked by 2eol NanoG6
  • eoleol Member

"Marketing trick" describes it well.
    No idea about OVH.
    I never used any of their services.

• @netomx said:
    I need one, but in CA

Are you becoming Nekki jr?

@Letzien said:

@netomx said:
    I need one, but in CA

Are you becoming Nekki jr?

I need to get more post counts :p

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2019

Damn, good deal, not worried about setup fee, better cpu would make it a lot nicer though. I have a KS-2A (same as this but with 1x2TB) in RBX at 8.99e that I keep thinking of cancelling. Upgrading to this basically means getting 1x2TB for free. Will try for it I guess.

Update: I got an order through, don't have the server yet but will move my old KS stuff to it when it arrives.

• got two. well, 100Mbps is enough for me.
    thanks to the cache of cloudflare.

• Might go back for a 3rd.

• @Nekki said:
    Might go back for a 3rd.

Please leave some for the masses.

Thanked by 1eol
  • take them all in france. I just want CA as well.

• Nekki said: Might go back for a 3rd.

Go on, an early Christmas present

• They get me every time... :(

• Got one, good for storage. CPU does not bother me, but that 100mb bandwidth is problematic.

• @mtsbatalha said:
    So this one or ARM Sys?

This one - the arm one is really poor for most workloads, even a single file upload/download to minio with SSL chokes the ARM up hard

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @texteditor said:

@mtsbatalha said:
    So this one or ARM Sys?

This one - the arm one is really poor for most workloads, even a single file upload/download to minio with SSL chokes the ARM up hard

Can't confirm this, getting 150mbit or so before CPU bottleneck on aes traffic in pure software, and very close to the full 250mbit with cryptodev

In both cases using https://github.com/kotc/ovhnas

On the other hand, the N2800 doesn't have any hardware acceleration for AES

• @darkimmortal said:

@texteditor said:

@mtsbatalha said:
    So this one or ARM Sys?

Can't confirm this, getting 150mbit or so before CPU bottleneck on aes traffic in pure software, and very close to the full 250mbit with cryptodev

In both cases using https://github.com/kotc/ovhnas

Good point, I might be using the default build, and that was one of the SYS ARM 'tweaks' I didn't do.

Thanks for this, I still have ~2 months with it so I might as well try

• I do remember the one thing that was really rough for it, and this may be minio's implementation, was downloading a ~300MB directory of ~40MB FLAC files as a zip

• setup fee in 2019? No no no...

Thanked by 2corbpie eol
  • @netomx said:
    I need one, but in CA

Scroll down... there's CA on there, for $14,99

• @JerryHou said:
    setup fee in 2019? No no no...

Nothing wrong with it if the provider has someone on site provisioning hardware themselves.

Since this is OVH though, there's a good chance that human hands haven't touched half these Atom boxes in 5 years

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@darkimmortal said:

No need to worry.

• No AES acc. in hw does not mean "too slow to be useable". 2 Atom cores at 1,8 GHz will still easily fill an AES encrypted 100 Mb/s line; in fact multiple ones.

• There are alternatives (like djb's Salsa) that are much faster than AES in software.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware

@iHavenoName said:

@netomx said:
    I need one, but in CA

Scroll down... there's CA on there, for $14,99

That's the regulr price, isn't it?

• It took me a whole night to realize it was 2x2Tb. Feck, I'm old.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @JerryHou said:
    setup fee in 2019? No no no...

Guys.. this server costs 8,99€ and you're keep complaining about 9,99€ Setup?

• @vimalware said:
    It took me a whole night to realize it was 2x2Tb. Feck, I'm old.

I'm old too because i realized it just after your post.

• @angstrom said:

@Nekki said:
    Might go back for a 3rd.

Please leave some for the masses.

It’s been posted for so long it’s fair game now as far as I’m concerned.