Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overkill NAT VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Overkill NAT VPS

2»

Comments

• I'm pretty apathetic towards this. I use my shitty NAT boxes for shit NAT box things. If I need more RAM/etc, I generally have a use case that doesn't fit into 10 ports on a shared IP.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @teamacc said:
    Not with the amount of cpu that will most likely be using if you have more than 4 people playing.

48 bots + 1 player as a start, less bot but more player would be better.
    DigitalOcean 1vCore: https://bit.ly/2RMajLY
    So, $10/year NAT-KVM in Singapore with ~25%/vm @ 1 vCore might be enough only for 6-8 real players with any bots or maybe more than 8 players.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@inklight said:

Mxl said: Most Chinese (such as me) use the 8$ nat for shadowsocks, I think we wont buy the 24$

In fact everyone should buying the 8$/Yr offer , the new offer looks useless for me specially 256MB are enough for my app's + I prefer buying 3 256MB VPS from various providers instead relaying on on big VPS

@Letzien said:
    I'm pretty apathetic towards this. I use my shitty NAT boxes for shit NAT box things. If I need more RAM/etc, I generally have a use case that doesn't fit into 10 ports on a shared IP.

256MB RAM is fine for an OpenVZ box, but it's barely enough for a full hardware virtualization. So it depends on use case I think.

For full HVM, most OS will use all of the RAM. In fact, most OS won't even install properly on anything less than 1G RAM. We provided 512MB RAM for years on our free VPS plans, and one of the biggest issues was getting all the OS to install properly. CentOS 7 seems to not even like 1G these days.

1GB RAM and HVM also opens the possibly for getting Windows Servers on the node.

I think for anything sub 1G, OpenVZ is pretty much a must these days. And if you want to run your own kernel version, or alternative OS, then KVM/XEN is the way to go. Who else is doing KVM/XEN based NAT VPS? Who has option for Windows based NAT VPS?

As for the number of ports, no issue to allow upto 99 ports, if that makes a difference. Though I wonder who's running a NAT VPS that requires so many ports that wouldn't rather just get a dedicated IP address...

Actually I have no idea who buys NAT VPS, or what they use it for other than perhaps for VPN... ..

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited January 2019

I will get one if only they can pay by Carrot (CRT).

Thanked by 2eol Letzien
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Test it, not like it really costs you anything to try it :)

You are very welcome to promote it over on the LES forum too.

@FAT32 said:
    I will get one if only they can pay by Carrot (CRT).

You sure can, but how will you get your #CRTs? :D

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, yea the cheap HDD's KVM's he sold last year, have a crap crap HDD performance.
    Still they got a v4, and where cheaper.

It depends, if the I/O performance is decent enough, it may be worth a try.

Neoon said: It depends, if the I/O performance is decent enough, it may be worth a try.

Yes but it was crazy cheap.

The only way I can make it cheaper is if I reduce the disk space and have no RAID at all. That would mean we could use smaller/cheaper SSDs.

I/O should be drastically improved switching to SSD from HDD. But with so many small VMs, the disk may be short lived, and I don't particularly want to deal with drive failures, replacements and recreation. But maybe the disks will last longer than I expect.

In fact I could possibly just reduce disk space from the current 20GB to 4-5GB, and that would be sustainable already.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@randvegeta said:

Neoon said: It depends, if the I/O performance is decent enough, it may be worth a try.

Yes but it was crazy cheap.

Indeed.

• i think something totally chopped up with the china direct would be tasty. like 128mb ram, half core, 2gig hdd and 20 ports. chinese will sap that shit up so fast, ideal for running some sort of tunneling software. but like someone mentioned before, the ip could get throttled or banned (never had one banned on me before). so the price could never be right.

• inklightinklight Member
    edited January 2019

randvegeta said: In fact, most OS won't even install properly on anything less than 1G RAM

I'm running KVM VPS at 128MB(without boost memory)+ 3GB HDD, over year now and it OS(scientific Linux ) runs fine +

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            111          53           3           2          54          38
    Swap:           126          84          42

The missing 17MB used by system applications on /run

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
        /dev/sda1       2.8G  2.3G  320M  88% /
        devtmpfs         46M     0   46M   0% /dev
        tmpfs            56M     0   56M   0% /dev/shm
        tmpfs            56M   17M   40M  30% /run
        tmpfs            56M     0   56M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

I only use it now as personal proxy server I even tried OpenVPN and runs fine on it + I use it with Live Video transcoding FFMPEG and run it perfectly on low quality video (actually the weakpoint were the server stupid L5520 CPU)