Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overkill NAT VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Overkill NAT VPS

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
edited January 2019 in General

I'm toying with the idea of releasing a fairly high spec NAT VPS, and looking for some feedback. Details are as follows:

10GB SSD RAID 10 Disk Space
1vCPU Core on E5 CPU
1GB RAM
NAT IPv4 - 100Mbit Shared Port (Direct China routes included but not guaranteed)
/64 Native IPv6
XEN/KVM Hypervisors (Full HVM)

US$24 /yr

Our current NAT plan is quite a bit cheaper at only ~$8 /yr, but the disks use HDDs, there's no RAID, and only 256MB RAM.

So there is a huge performance boost from the new config. Of course the price is trippled and I'm wondering if anyone would even want a IPv6/NAT IPv4 VPS at this kind of price.

Comments

• To be honest there are probably enough offers for vps with dedicated ipv4 and about the same specs. Probably wouldn't buy.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Ympker said: To be honest there are probably enough offers for vps with dedicated ipv4 and about the same specs. Probably wouldn't buy.

These days I wouldn't even want to sell the IP at $24 /yr. Can't afford the IPs... IPv6 and NAT seems to be the only way to make crazy cheap VPS even possible.

• Direct China with NAT. What happens if your neighbor gets the one ip banned by GFW?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Then you come to LET to complain.

We change the IP if the shared address gets blocked. Although we don't guarantee it will happen quickly....

You know it's NAT so some there needs to be some compromise. But we've actually got this on our existing NAT VPS already, and the IP has yet to be blocked after >1yr.

deank said: Then you come to LET to complain.

Chinese don't complain on LET....

Few of them do. Now, whatever they do on their own forums is not our bizwax.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2019

Ympker said: To be honest there are probably enough offers for vps with dedicated ipv4 and about the same specs.

In Hong Kong?

randvegeta said: Direct China routes

I wonder if there's such a thing as direct China routes on IPv6.

randvegeta said: wondering if anyone would even want a IPv6/NAT IPv4 VPS at this kind of price.

You should detail how many incoming ports people get (if any at all?), and if you provide an IPv4 to IPv6 reverse proxy service (HAproxy and such) with SSL support. You know like it's all set up nicely over at LowEndSpirit.

• @randvegeta said:

Chinese don't complain on LET....

Where do they complain?

They've got their own Chinese forums where they post shit crap of offers, most of which are scams.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @rm_ said:

Ympker said: To be honest there are probably enough offers for vps with dedicated ipv4 and about the same specs.

In Hong Kong?

randvegeta said: Direct China routes

I wonder if there's such a thing as direct China routes on IPv6.

randvegeta said: wondering if anyone would even want a IPv6/NAT IPv4 VPS at this kind of price.

You should detail how many incoming ports people get (if any at all?), and if you provide an IPv4 to IPv6 reverse proxy service (HAproxy and such) with SSL support. You know like it's all set up nicely over at LowEndSpirit.

Not in Hongkong. But IPv4 although higher ping may still be worth it.

• @deank said:
    Then you come to LET to complain.

LET complain!

rm_ said: I wonder if there's such a thing as direct China routes on IPv6.

Nope. Well we aren't doing that. The Direct China is IPv4 only. IPv6 is basically exclusively HE.net, so actually we can do more BW. And the /64 is just standard, but actually we could do much larger blocks too.

rm_ said: You should detail how many incoming ports people get (if any at all?), and if you provide an IPv4 to IPv6 reverse proxy service (HAproxy and such) with SSL support. You know like it's all set up nicely over at LowEndSpirit.

Our current NAT VPS get 20 ports + SSH (so 21 kindof). We could do 99 + SSH, but that would require more lines of config in our router.. but the higher price may warrant that.

Why would you need a reverse proxy when you have native IPv6? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited January 2019

@randvegeta said:

Why would you need a reverse proxy when you have native IPv6? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

There are still countries that doesn't have IPv6 support at all. That said, you can always use CloudFlare but... it's CloudFlare... :(

edited January 2019

randvegeta said: Why would you need a reverse proxy when you have native IPv6? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Reverse proxy lets people use such IPv6-only VPS to serve a website that's also accessible from IPv4. The IPv4 clients first hit the provider-installed box (HAProxy or nginx), and that one decides to which of the IPv6 addresses to forward their request to, by domain in the "Host: " header.

It is possible to use CloudFlare to achieve the same, but I guess it is nice when it's also included from the provider.

• LeonnLeonn Member
    edited January 2019

randvegeta said: Chinese don't complain on LET....

you are wrong and plenty of Chinese users come here although they hardly post

NAT VPS are usually used for VPN/Proxy and few people will mind the RAID config or SSD/HDD issue.

The Direct Route to China or other countries and affordable price is the most thing they care.

• MxlMxl Member

Most Chinese (such as me) use the 8$ nat for shadowsocks, I think we wont buy the 24$ if they have same Direct China routes.

• I would like to pay 1 GB NAT VPS with 20 GB HDD, OVZ/KVM virtualization more than 12 USD

@Mxl said:
    Most Chinese (such as me) use the 8$ nat for shadowsocks, I think we wont buy the 24$ if they have same Direct China routes.

The problem with HDD is the IO. Current NAT boxes we do are cheap but they have necessarily crap performance due to the large IO.

Low cost can be maintained if reducing the disk space and have no raid at all. But 256MB RAM is not sufficient for most OS these days. And we do not do OpenVZ so the overheads are much larger.

@chocolateshirt said:
    I would like to pay 1 GB NAT VPS with 20 GB HDD, OVZ/KVM virtualization more than 12 USD

Do you care about RAID or SSD? How much more than $12?

• Raid in a Nat box is just another way of saying we do back ups. Make it very, very, very clear this no raid or back ups. SSD instead of spinning rust is a good idea if affordable.

Make a forum like @AnthonySmith has so the problems of people get funneled there, instead of a mob of tickets. @AnthonySmith has a nice setup and he did it pretty much perfectly. Follow what he has done and things might work out.

Other then that, right now I do not think it will work out well if you go at it like it is normal and you will be in red quickly. Just the man power to answer tickets of "why did this not come with IPv4?" or "what is my address?" will cut profits to nil sometimes.

AuroraZ said: Raid in a Nat box is just another way of saying we do back ups

How about no?

• @rm_ said:

AuroraZ said: Raid in a Nat box is just another way of saying we do back ups

How about no?

Do not quote part of what was said and take it out context. I said in the next sentence tell them We do not have back ups. Make your own and make it very, very ,very clear.

People in the industry, like us, know Raid is not a back up, but someone buying because it cheap and doesn't know his ass from a hole ground doesn't, and I can guarantee you 100% he will still get tickets on "where is my data?" if something happens.

Even if he has a raid setup this will happen.

• rm_ said: I wonder if there's such a thing as direct China routes on IPv6.

IPv6 routing in China is a total mess. It's not uncommon that cross-ISP traffic goes from anywhere in China to Western Europe to USA and back to somewhere close to the origin in China. There are few domestic IPv6 IX and the major ISPs only have very few international PoPs.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ uptime
  • eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@AuroraZ said:
    Raid in a Nat box is just another way of saying we do back ups.

EDIT2:
    Fail.

• edited January 2019

@randvegeta said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    I would like to pay 1 GB NAT VPS with 20 GB HDD, OVZ/KVM virtualization more than 12 USD

Do you care about RAID or SSD? How much more than $12?

Raid 10 is good, SSD is better.

1 CPU
    2 GB RAM
    30 GB HDD/SSD
    100 Mbps port, 3 TB BW
    OVZ/KVM

I will buy that for USD 20 / year or more as long as it located in SG.

• high-spec NAT sounds interesting. Maybe do it as a small-batch/artisinal labor of love, and see if it gets some traction as a product.

@uptime said:
    high-spec NAT sounds interesting. Maybe do it as a small-batch/artisinal labor of love, and see if it gets some traction as a product.

Thats the plan at first.

Actually this should be considered more of a regular VPS that is IPv6 only. Adding NAT seems to devalue the whole setup.

I would be happy to add IPv4 to this to make it a normal VPS, but it basically doubles the price. In which case we could feasibly charge monthly @ <5/m, but then no direct China...

Thanked by 1uptime
  • corefluxcoreflux Member
    edited January 2019

~$10/y on Singapore, gonna use it for BF2 Dedicated Server (GUI), don't know if that gonna sustainable even with just raid1.

• Mxl said: Most Chinese (such as me) use the 8$ nat for shadowsocks, I think we wont buy the 24$

In fact everyone should buying the 8$/Yr offer , the new offer looks useless for me specially 256MB are enough for my app's + I prefer buying 3 256MB VPS from various providers instead relaying on on big VPS

• @coreflux said:
    ~$10/y on Singapore, gonna use it for BF2 Dedicated Server (GUI), don't know if that gonna sustainable even with just raid1.

Not with the amount of cpu that will most likely be using if you have more than 4 people playing.