Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huawei automatically deletes images that users downloaded from Twitter - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Huawei automatically deletes images that users downloaded from Twitter

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I can live with a dumb phone. I guess those will come with replaceable batteries at least.

• @eol said:

@gol3m said:
    Not everyone can live without a phone, but they can definitely reclaim big parts of their privacy.

Hm.
    Smartphone and privacy don't go together in my world no matter what you do.

To be fair, there is a lot you need to do to "escape" fully, such as turning off your WiFi when you go out, and not installing Google Apps, just to give two unusual examples.

I do it, though, so it's not that hard.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2019

I love the language used there. Backdoor, really? I'm certain that Huawei has a cubicle farm of people watching your phone, waiting to delete photos from twitter.

Definitely couldn't just be an unintended software issue. People are hilarious sometimes.

Thanked by 3gol3m Daniel15 FHR
  • @jar said:
    I love the language used there. Backdoor, really? I'm certain that Huawei has a cubicle farm of people watching your phone, waiting to delete photos from twitter.

Definitely couldn't just be an unintended software issue. People are hilarious sometimes.

Uhh what? It's definitely intended from what I can see. Call it frontdoor then, if it's not a backdoor.

• @gol3m said:

@jar said:

Uhh what? It's definitely intended from what I can see. Call it frontdoor then, if it's not a backdoor.

From what you can see? From what you can see a notification pops up, stating that Twitter has deleted a photo. Which, according to Huawei through TechRadar, is a glitch (twitter moves the photos to a specified folder, and therefor triggers the notification).

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-promises-it-isnt-deleting-photos-downloaded-from-twitter

Thanked by 2gol3m FHR
  • gol3mgol3m Member
    edited January 2019

@mrtz said:

@gol3m said:

@jar said:

From what you can see? From what you can see a notification pops up, stating that Twitter has deleted a photo. Which, according to Huawei through TechRadar, is a glitch (twitter moves the photos to a specified folder, and therefor triggers the notification).

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-promises-it-isnt-deleting-photos-downloaded-from-twitter

Ohh I see. It's not only a "glitch", but the photo is not even deleted?

In that case there is of course little point in discussing this any further. How silly that this even made it into the news..

• To Google or Apple, I sacrifice some privacy and get some convenience (maps, clouds etc.) in return. To Huawei, I might sacrifice more privacy and only to get more shxt in return and dang your info is sold to the Chinese spammers.

• eoleol Member

@jar said:

Mobile phones were first and foremost developed for mass surveillance and only secondary for your personal enjoyment.

• Saw video, Twitter app deleted picture not Huawei ;)

edited January 2019

If you truly, utterly, value your privacy, there are four things you must absolutely not use.

1. On grid electricity (Off grid is fine)
    2. (smart) Mobile phones (Dumb phone is okay, I guess.)
    3. Internet (Local intranet is fine, I guess.)
    4. Driving registered cars

If you use any of those and still preach about privacy, you are eol (End of Life).

Thanked by 2t0m eol
  • eoleol Member
    1. USB-Sticks (Hidden 3G mobile net).
  • spammyspammy Member
    edited January 2019

Just tried it on my Mate20 Pro and it doesn't have that issue...I was able to download a pic and Google Photos was able to detect the new photo folder and asked me if I want to upload it to Google Photos...

I think if this phone was another Android phone (say Samsung), people will complain about the app and see if there is another app installed, and when it comes to Huawei, then it is Huawei being the China spy...

Thanked by 1FHR
  • deank said: (Dumb phone is okay, I guess.)

No. They can sniff your gsm calls, sms messages and triangulate you with dumb phones too. Base stations are omnipresent and considering beamforming, yes, they see it all.

But google won't know.

Thanked by 2eol FHR
  • edited January 2019

LOL, hilarious comment without further reading/saw the video..

• This may be only enabled for Chinese customers because Twitter is prohibited in China and HUAWEI is always happy to cooperate with such censorship with gov

• @deank said:
    If you truly, utterly, value your privacy, there are four things you must absolutely not use.

1. On grid electricity (Off grid is fine)
    2. (smart) Mobile phones (Dumb phone is okay, I guess.)
    3. Internet (Local intranet is fine, I guess.)
    4. Driving registered cars

If you use any of those and still preach about privacy, you are eol (End of Life).

You left out bank cards. Paid actor confirmed.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • I think the first fatal choice was buying a Chinese maker phone. American phones are bad enough, but China is one giant privacy invasion experiment.

• Using numerous huawei devices and thankfully doesnt happen to me.

Also it was a sideloaded twitter app thats been deleting the photos not the huawei os. Twitter is banned in China so users are forced to sideload the app when using china rom or devices purchased on chinese online shopping sites.

This is fake news though.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • No, this is definitely not fake news. Phone manufacturers are spying on us! They all work with their evil government!

Why I know this? I just found a spy software called ’System’ on my Sumsung Galaxy yesterday night! It automatically deleted all the pictures I downloaded from Twitter. All those pictures about our enemies are gone! Now I’m on my way to the extraction point, since my cover has been blown.

Goodbye guys. I won't be able to see you guys again. You know there is no Internet in North Korea.

• @Kiwi83 Sure, but you're going to Perth..

oh shit I gave up too much

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • Android is built though to notify/ask you a ton of permission for your private info which nobody properly reads just like why this thread was created

• "So we are all wrong, Twitter is not deleting it, Huawei is not deleting as well, Twitter moves it instead."

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited January 2019

@sudoranger said:

@Drv said:
    But some of us like to have more flexibility and a little more control unnecessary settings (bloatware) and complicated home screen. :joy:

Ok, maybe my comment is a little absurd. I was talking about Android 4-7. I think Android has improve a lot since the last few years (Android 8 Oreo - 9 Pie).

Technically, I use both OS but I fall in love with the simplicity of iOS 12. No hate, just honesty. The fact that this topic is about Huawei, I don't think other manufacturers such as Samsung, Xioami, etc. delete your twitter stuff not-to-mention Apple. Apple is the God when it comes to user privacy. Remember when the NSA/FBI/CIA asked about the terrorist icloud's info?

If you would have followed that story to the end they caved. Pissed off a bunch of sweater wearers when they did, but they eventually folded.

They had no choice it was either fold or the U.S. govt told them they would hire hackers to get it.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • @AuroraZ I cant see that they have actually helped the fbi bypass the iphone encryption/lock? Do you have a source of this?

What they have done, is offered to serve up iphone backups and the likes - but not actually helped them bypass the encryption / unlock the phone afaik?

ref. https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/8/16626452/apple-fbi-texas-shooter-iphone-unlock-encryption-debate
    and
    https://www.cnet.com/news/fbi-asked-apple-to-unlock-iphone-before-trying-all-its-options/

• "Join us now and share the software, you'll be free hakors, you'll beee freeeeeee..."
    Don't post this on youtube.

Thanked by 1eol

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @mrtz said:
    @AuroraZ I cant see that they have actually helped the fbi bypass the iphone encryption/lock? Do you have a source of this?

What they have done, is offered to serve up iphone backups and the likes - but not actually helped them bypass the encryption / unlock the phone afaik?

ref. https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/8/16626452/apple-fbi-texas-shooter-iphone-unlock-encryption-debate
    and
    https://www.cnet.com/news/fbi-asked-apple-to-unlock-iphone-before-trying-all-its-options/

Yes I do, but no I can't cite a source. Believe me it has been done and will happen again.

• @AuroraZ I appreciate your candidness! I hope you understand tho, that i can't just take your word for it. The way I see it, this would have been a big, big deal and would've been easy to find a source to (hell, I would've probably already heard about it). But I'm open to the possibility - there is after all a lot of shit happening behind the scenes :)

• @AuroraZ said:

@sudoranger said:

@Drv said:
    But some of us like to have more flexibility and a little more control unnecessary settings (bloatware) and complicated home screen. :joy:

Ok, maybe my comment is a little absurd. I was talking about Android 4-7. I think Android has improve a lot since the last few years (Android 8 Oreo - 9 Pie).

Technically, I use both OS but I fall in love with the simplicity of iOS 12. No hate, just honesty. The fact that this topic is about Huawei, I don't think other manufacturers such as Samsung, Xioami, etc. delete your twitter stuff not-to-mention Apple. Apple is the God when it comes to user privacy. Remember when the NSA/FBI/CIA asked about the terrorist icloud's info?

If you would have followed that story to the end they caved. Pissed off a bunch of sweater wearers when they did, but they eventually folded.

They had no choice it was either fold or the U.S. govt told them they would hire hackers to get it.

You are very mistaken and/or just making stuff up. Apple immediately gave up the iCloud data as they always do. Always (they say when given a warrant).

The fight was over Apple being forced to unlock the phone. In the end, what Apple said was going to take 30+ of their best engineers a couple of months was done by Greykey for something cheap, like $30k or less. Apple helped create an industry to unlock devices rather than warrant supplied government requests by themselves. This is far worse than if Apple cooperated.

Apple was looking to charge US government inflated Apple rates to do the work. Apple was putting on a big PR show. They don't like how they don't make money on legal information requests, the cost/markup is limited and doesn't have Apple margins.

• @TimboJones said:

@AuroraZ said:

@sudoranger said:

@Drv said:

You are very mistaken and/or just making stuff up. Apple immediately gave up the iCloud data as they always do. Always (they say when given a warrant).

The fight was over Apple being forced to unlock the phone. In the end, what Apple said was going to take 30+ of their best engineers a couple of months was done by Greykey for something cheap, like $30k or less. Apple helped create an industry to unlock devices rather than warrant supplied government requests by themselves. This is far worse than if Apple cooperated.

Apple was looking to charge US government inflated Apple rates to do the work. Apple was putting on a big PR show. They don't like how they don't make money on legal information requests, the cost/markup is limited and doesn't have Apple margins.

Not sure if you are trying to pick a fight or not here, but I will not argue anymore about this.

word of advice though, do not trust anyone with data and you will live happier. I am out here.