Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap SSD's with high lifespan? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap SSD's with high lifespan?

2»

Comments

• As far as i know ADATA SU*** has cheapest price/TBW

• edited February 2019

@brian777 said:
    As far as i know ADATA SU*** has cheapest price/TBW

@gol3m said:
    Personally, I just buy what's cheapest and resync the data to a new drive, if it dies.

I'm kinda on the philosophy from @gol3m.

For SOHO use, just buy cheap drives and replace as necessary. SOHO use probably isn't going to get up to the write frequency as in an enterprise environment where you certainly want to go with an EVO.

The lower write frequency will result in a drive that will last you a reasonable amount of time, especially at the low price points of the ADATA or SiliconPower drive.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

brian777 said: As far as i know ADATA SU*** has cheapest price/TBW

These drives suck. We bought a bunch of them to test, and the failure rates are really, really high.

• ADATA really bad at this moment. You should use a samsung ssd "PRO" for high lifespan

• Sandisk has some interesting offers on brand new 120GB SSDs - I've got some for £20 GBP per drive. I've personally been using a couple on old iMacs and MacBooks. While I don't expect them to be as reliable as the Samsung pro lineup, I honestly haven't had a single issue with them with many years of usage. They're very good value for what they are. They come with 3 years warranty, which honestly isn't bad at all for £20..

Kingston can get slightly cheaper but I don't trust those at all.

Thanked by 2vimalware Janevski
  • Get a SSD from a company that also produces their own flash.
    All good.

edited February 2019

ErikEnoctus said: Sandisk

These are the same as Western Digital drives now, so you can get the exact same drive in either a Sandisk or Western Digital version. Frequently, the Sandisk version is like $5 cheaper than the exact same Western Digital drive. Probably one of the safer options of the cheaper drives.

ErikEnoctus said: Kingston

These are cheap garbage. Avoid.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @qps said:

brian777 said: As far as i know ADATA SU*** has cheapest price/TBW

These drives suck. We bought a bunch of them to test, and the failure rates are really, really high.

How many did you buy and how many failed?

Drv said: How many did you buy and how many failed?

Failure rate has been about 17.4% for the drives we bought. All of the failures so far were within the first month or two.

• 4 850 EVOs, 2 850 PROs, 5 BX500s, 1 Ultra II.
    According to my extensive, certified and scientific calculations the failure rate is at 0% so far.
    Thanks for reading.

Thanked by 2belemenon Janevski
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

SSD ain't like web hosting. You do get what you pay for.

• Best to go with Samsung as suggested above, really though ssd's rarely die. I have used many for 5 years and haven't experienced any defects apart from I have noticed it has slowed down a slight bit.

• @qps said:

Drv said: How many did you buy and how many failed?

Failure rate has been about 17.4% for the drives we bought. All of the failures so far were within the first month or two.

Was all the ssd's the same model number? Can you give more details? Like what model...

Drv said: Was all the ssd's the same model number? Can you give more details? Like what model...

They were all in the SU800 series.

Thanked by 1Drv
  • @qps said:

Drv said: Was all the ssd's the same model number? Can you give more details? Like what model...

They were all in the SU800 series.

How did the RMA process go? Did you get the money back or drive replacements?

Drv said: How did the RMA process go? Did you get the money back or drive replacements?

We just threw them in the trash. It's not worth the time, shipping, and remote hands fees.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited February 2019

ErikEnoctus said: Kingston can get slightly cheaper but I don't trust those at all.

Kingston usb flash drives suck ass.
    They were good (acceptable), they still are, but some series, just die (I/O fail) very soon after unboxing at no particular usage load.

Thanked by 1eol