Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap SSD's with high lifespan?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap SSD's with high lifespan?

DrvDrv Member

I am looking to buy some cheap ssd's, space doesnt matter, it can be 120gb and up. What do you recommend?

Did any of you have any RMA experience with replacing dead or faulty ssd's? What brands have better warranty service?

Comments

• TripleflixTripleflix Member
    edited January 2019

the latest samsungs and intels are nice, just dont get that qlc crap... or maybe get a cheap second hand enterprise grade SSD

Thanked by 1amstel
  • eoleol Member

I recommend samsung, but if on the cheap maybe crucial bx500.

• A good second hand drive will be stronger for a low budget (if you are looking for high lifespan). For example an intel 520.

Another option is to see who still offers MLC. Some cheap DRAMless drives came with MLC at a fair price, like some sandisk stuff...

That being said, there are often great deals on samsumg & crucial drives, even their cheapest stuff should be quite good and enough for most uses.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Is it true PNY SSDs made in USA?

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

Samsung EVO

Thanked by 1eol
  • DrvDrv Member

I think i'll settle for some Intel 545s, they have 60 months warranty, 70k iops read/ 80k iops write max. I'm not sure about their 72 TBW spec, is it too low? The price is around 30 euro for 128gb version.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

64GB Samsung SSD still works fine, it was SLC instead of TLC, which seems to be more durable.

Thanked by 1amstel
  • HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

Either the Samsung Evo (cheaper) or Pro (higher grade + longer warranty).

Other option would be Crucial SSD - they are pretty cheap in comparison but meant to be pretty good alternative.

• samsung 860 evo

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

I am realy happy with Crucial BX500 for desktops. Older Crucial SSDs are not so good in my experience.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

There is no going around for this one.

If you want a durable SSD, you will need to pay.

Thanked by 2coreflux amstel
  • Get double the space for double endurance.

Leaving enough free space also helps with lifespan.

• eoleol Member

@teamacc said:

True.
    But those Samsungs don't seem to care much even when full.
    I got a bunch of 850 EVOs and PROs since more than 4 years still showing around 95-97%.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

@eol said:

@teamacc said:

True.
    I got a bunch of 850 EVOs and PROs since more than 4 years still showing around 95-97%.

Did you write to the whole drive though?

Personally I've found the evos are really bad for performance if you partition all available space and then write to it all. Poor writes until you secure erase.

Factory overprovisioning seems too low so wear leveling slows it all down. As a guide I'd say leave 7-12% of the drive unallocated to prevent.

• eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@jackb said:

@eol said:

@teamacc said:

True.

Did you write to the whole drive though?

Personally I've found the evos are really bad if you partition all available space and then write to it all. Poor writes until you secure erase.

Factory overprovisioning seems too low so wear leveling slows it all down. As a guide I'd say leave 7-12% of the drive unallocated to prevent.

Usually I will create 2 partitions.
    I had no problems so far.
    Free space helps, yes.
    Only thing if you rape it, it's not as forgiving as the PRO.
    Meaning the performance drops in comparison.

EDIT2:
    I remember the EVO will write full speed up until around 20GB? then slow down I think.
    The PRO won't.
    Also the PRO is more responsive when taxed hard.

• I'd recommend Samsung 860 EVO's (make sure not QVO's) - they come with 5 years warranty or up to 2880 TBW so very good for the price.

• Some drives shut down when their maximum written mount is reached. You should probably google the name of the drive + "endurance test".

Personally, I just buy what's cheapest and resync the data to a new drive, if it dies.

• I'd go with Crucial BX500 or Samsung 860 EVO. Both of them are great choices with decent speed and lifespan.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Just boot in ram.

Thanked by 2eol amstel
  • @andrewforest said:
    I'd go with Crucial BX500 or Samsung 860 EVO. Both of them are great choices with decent speed and lifespan.

BX series are DRAM-less. I'd personally suggest the MX series over those.

• @andrewforest said:
    I'd go with Crucial BX500 or Samsung 860 EVO. Both of them are great choices with decent speed and lifespan.

This.

• samsung 970 evo nvme is wild.

• adroitssdadroitssd Member
    edited February 2019

@M2DEV said:
    samsung 970 evo nvme is wild.

but it's not cheap.

• TriJetScudTriJetScud Member
    edited February 2019

Sammy 860 EVO and Crucial MX3/MX5 series. They're pretty decent SSD's that will last a heck of a long time.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • samsung 860 EVO

• I've settle for intel for now.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We've tried a ton of lower-priced SSDs. The Samsung EVO series are the best. It's worth the extra money to go with them over something like the Crucial MX series.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Samsung DCT are not that much more expensive than EVOs. Depending on the use case, they will perform much better.

Thanked by 1amstel
  • I'd get a 1TB 860 evo. Should last a decade plus if you underprovision.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Go with intel Optane 900p!

Thanked by 1vimalware