Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc AU down and out - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc AU down and out

Comments

• @jackb said:

@dahartigan said:>
    Honestly, if a VM runs away and takes down a node, and you allow that, you're going to piss off a lot more than just 1 customer.

That isn't really how it works. One VM running away shouldn't take down a node, some customers might see some steal time. Anyway, my main point is that zero contact when killing a VM just serves to piss people off. I can understand some are not wanting to tamper with cgroups as yes, it can be a bit fiddly and if you get a lot of abusers, doesn't scale very well; but there is other options (reboot with notification, shutdown with notification) that don't leave the customer wondering what happened.

If people want to default to shutting down problematic vm's, fair enough - but they need to at least send notification to the impacted customer. Hostdoc has now committed to doing this which is a move in a good direction.

You're absolutely right that a single VM shouldn't take down a node, but if there are several VMs possibly owned by the same customer, it's possible and even likely that if the node isn't taken to its knees it will definitely be affected.

I suppose a notification would be good, personally I'd only really want that from a shit host that takes days to reply to tickets. In this case HostDoc answer the chat within 10 mins, It's so quick to just check on it that way.

Looks like the problem has been sorted anyway, no drama here unfortunately :)

• @jackb said:

@dahartigan said:>
    Honestly, if a VM runs away and takes down a node, and you allow that, you're going to piss off a lot more than just 1 customer.

That isn't really how it works. One VM running away shouldn't take down a node, some customers might see some steal time depending on current utilisation, node spec and etc. Anyway, my main point is that zero contact when killing a VM just serves to piss people off. I can understand some are not wanting to tamper with cgroups as yes, it can be a bit fiddly and if you get a lot of abusers, doesn't scale very well; but there is other options (reboot with notification, shutdown with notification) that don't leave the customer wondering what happened.

If people want to default to shutting down problematic vm's, fair enough - but they need to at least send notification to the impacted customer. Hostdoc has now committed to doing this which is a move in a good direction.

We honestly till today have had no issues in our approach.

As @dahartigan pointed out, it makes clients come to us for an explanation.

We have found that legitimate clients will always come forward rather quickly regarding the shut down, we explain the issue and they investigate.
    Illegitimate clients never come forward and leave it off for days without coming forward until they realise it is not suspended, switch it back on abuse again and then we suspend with notification to which no response is ever received.

But as mentioned, we welcome all feedback including notification of killed instances and will implement it moving forward.

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
  • I personally use @hostdoc VM plans in production environment. Being a new provider I was a bit apprehensive at first but have been with them for 5 months. I have nothing but good things to say. Support is excellent with tickets being responded to in a timely fashion. All tickets have been replied with personal and detailed explanations not a one line copy and paste job.

Give their price point, the service and support is far beyond anything I’ve experienced previously.

I think it’s great that a provider comes down hard on high usage VMs to protect the nodes and other clients. Yes, they could have sent a quick message but they are new and evolving - everyone makes mistakes, it’s how you respond and deal with the mistake that sets you apart from the rest.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

something to be said for bedside manner too.

EDIT2: (I've been getting a bit of a Doogie Howser vibe from all this up til now. Could be worse, but there it is.)

• @corbpie said:

dahartigan said: Opening a thread right after having the issue sorted by ticket or even better still, their live chat, is a dick move. Gotta be honest there mate.

Please do yourself a favour and read my replies, youre looking silly.

It took them 37 minutes to respond to my ticket, this thread was opened 19 minutes after i sent the ticket.

I just saw your reply now, but you're the one looking silly mate. Check it out.. you open a ticket and then only 19 minutes pass... Then you bitch on LET. Nineteen minutes. That's gotta be some sort of record. Even the Chinese wait an hour or two before opening a thread. I think you just have it out for this host for some reason, noting your other posts in hostdoc's threads.

Tl;dr OP opens thread after 19 mins no response on a ticket.

• Noone mentioned VestaCP by now?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • life is so hard .

I use hostdoc from the bf with a shared host and then a vps .

all server are really nice and I like the self upload ISO . their support is pretty good considering these day lowendproviders lead such a hard life.
    Some ban customers those who need the service agently because the gov. Some have 1990s cancel policy. Some stick to their ancient vz templates and refused to update to modern life. some create most strict standard for fraud check at first then after they lose market they began to kiss those customers' ass. some sell their company. some refuse to post offer here. some ban all let users. some became drama actor.

This new provider is really nice for their live chat and their manner of handling thing. they have passion about their job. This remind me some really good providers' early days .
    I dont like those people take this as grant to abuse their work. You paid 2 pound a month but ask for much more. this is not sustainable. they will end for leaving the lowendindustry or hike their price. neither is what I would like to see.

I have never realized the vps stuff would impact my life before I got debt collector from netcup last January. I was shocked and considering quit the whole thing for 75 euro.I was lucky they offer me a cancel without any penalty for the vps I had never touched and send them emails which clearly state that I would like to cancel and point out there is no easy way to cancel current period from control panel at the first three days. they just neglect my emails. this is suck.

I hope good things will happen. although I am quiting the idling hobby gradually only keep a few.

life is hard. Dont abuse anyone's effort.

• edited January 2019

I have a bunch of VMs from the doc, and never had any issues. If you abuse it - you loose it. That seems fair enough.

The fact that the ticket was responded to in under an hour is pretty great. The fact that you couldn't hold your bitching for an hour - not so much.
    Why do people tend to expect a Lamborghini when they pay for a used 1999 Honda Civic?

EDIT2:

Thanked by 2HostDoc dahartigan
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

corbpie said: It took them 37 minutes to respond to my ticket, this thread was opened 19 minutes after i sent the ticket

37 minutes is an extremely good response time for a budget provider. Maybe you would have gotten an even quicker response using their live chat. Many other providers at similar price points can take hours to reply.

You need to set your expectations properly, based on how much you're paying. If you want instant response times, go with a fully-managed VPS provider that has dozens of full-time support reps spread across several timezones. They would easily charge 5-10x what @HostDoc does.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Complaining about the response time (less than an hour) is beyond ridiculous.

It's official, corbpie is having PMS.

• HostDoc said: you can replicate elsewhere in our price bracket

Are you saying you're the only host on LET that can do ticket responses under 20mins?

:)

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

@Foul said:

HostDoc said: you can replicate elsewhere in our price bracket

Are you saying you're the only host on LET that can do ticket responses under 20mins?

Disclaimer: maybe.

• FoulFoul Member
    edited January 2019

I know you respond quicker, shush. :kissing_heart: ; Just hostdoc isn't the only host out here in the LET world that do ticket responses quick.

• @Foul said:

HostDoc said: you can replicate elsewhere in our price bracket

Nope.

@Foul said:

I know you respond quicker, shush. :kissing_heart: ; Just hostdoc isn't the only host out here in the LET world that do ticket responses quick.

I never claimed to be.

I said for our price bracket (which @MikeA does not fall under), it is hard to replicate the service we provide.

We also take a few hours sometimes, live chat request go unanswered. We are not perfect... Yet.

• So basically at the end of the day, corbpie abused, came to cry on LET even though he received a response within 30 minutes from a budget VPS provider and then ends up posting memes when he was wrong?

This is so typical LET.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@HostDoc You're are only like half a dollar cheaper, we're all on LET.

My post was a joke, my replies can be 2 minutes or 2 hours.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @MikeA said:
    @HostDoc You're are only like half a dollar cheaper, we're all on LET.

My post was a joke, my replies can be 2 minutes or 2 hours.

Exactly. And the service provided by many LET hosts easily surpasses that of the big players.

My comment was it is hard to replicate, not impossible.

So long as I eventually get a response, I am happy, being with OVH, those responses can be up to 10 days. If not critical, I am happy to wait.

This thread exist because OP waited 19 minutes before seeing fit to open such a thread.

Thanked by 1dahartigan

This thread exists because OP had (and perhaps is still having) PMS.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited January 2019

@tester4 said:
    So basically at the end of the day, corbpie abused, came to cry on LET even though he received a response within 30 minutes from a budget VPS provider and then ends up posting memes when he was wrong?

This is so typical LET.

No I didn't abuse, it took them 37 minutes to respond. It wasn't after hours. You pile the shit on me but it was a manual shutdown and they couldn't respond to a ticket about it until 37 minutes.... no matter how you look at it, they knew the answer as soon as they took it offline yet didn't answer for 37 minutes.

If they knew the answer to why the server was down (clearly did) then answer it, as I have said above they had plenty of time to prevent this thread given the circumstances.

Thanked by 1blackbird
  • eoleol Member

Listen.
    37 minutes is actually not bad for a reply.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @eol said:
    Listen.
    37 minutes is actually not bad for a reply.

I know, but minutes earlier they had just done what caused me to open the ticket. Probably was the same person that replied to my ticket.

I'm just responding to those saying I was having a premature sook. Hostdoc could have squashed that ticket in moments, even before the server went down...

All As per my replies in this thread.

Thanked by 1blackbird
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2019

corbpie said: It took them 37 minutes to respond to my ticket, this thread was opened 19 minutes after i sent the ticket.

Wow! You opened a thread to bash them 19 minutes after you opened a ticket! For such a price range! And you blame them it took 37 minutes to respond!!!
    And, as stated, did you even check with your custom ISO in your client's panel to troubleshot it and try to start it again? Because, they say that they did not suspend the service, just killed the instance and there were not any image to start again with.
    Even if you have some right that they should send a suspension email or an email that informs you for abuse of the service, your reaction is crappy. If I was them, I would terminate the service, refund you and never allow you to grab a service again.

Thanked by 2dahartigan HostDoc

All this thread will do is promote Doc's company.

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • We have had clients have their instance killed and approach us 5/6 hours later enquiring what may have happened.
    A specific ticket took us 2 hours to respond to. That client had no problem with our explanation and requested we suspend the network so they could investigate via VNC.

The thing is, initial killing of the instance is not a suspension. Had you not used a custom ISO that had deleted from the server, your instance would have booted up immediately again and had we noticed the same usage, we would have then suspended it and of course notified you.

It is unfortunately very small things that amplified this situation that could have been handled better on both sides.

We could have and will implement a more robust notification system and you could have been a little bit more patient.

@corbpie said:

Ever since getting services with HostDoc a couple of months back i have seen more downtime and "node upgrades" than other hosts have had over 4 years. Growing pains? or a poor provider?

This was a horrible thing to add to an outage thread and what I meant by taste of malice. You have been with us for quite more than a couple of months with no outages in that time that I can recall.
    Node upgrades? What is wrong with that? Can we not try and improve our user experience or introduce more locations for our resource pool and cloud users?

As I have said, we have both made mistakes in this situation but what made you think we would not respond to you after 19 minutes of waiting? Have we never responded to a ticket you have opened?

Please contact us via ticket if you want or live chat and maybe I can offer something as way of an apology.

Thanked by 1wtfcook

Give him some probing.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited January 2019

Hostdoc handled it poorly and had a chance to prevent this thread, how many times do I have to write it out?

@HostDoc I don't want anything, if you drop a customers server manually, tell them and/or reply to the ticket that comes in minutes later about it.

You posted a deal for the Dallas node, a week later it got torn down and needed to be rebuilt, that's frustrating. Why offer deals on a node that will need maintenance shortly?

I don't have an grudges to hostdoc nor did I bash them, given how it was handled I was in my right to open this thread, read my other responses, I'm not retyping it for those that don't/can't read. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

Thanked by 1blackbird
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited January 2019

@deank said:
    Give him some probing.

With a tampon. Corbpie is at stage 89 PMS.

EDIT2 I still can't believe this was all over 19 minutes. That has to be some kind of PMS record on LET, surely.

Thanked by 1eol
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2019

corbpie said: Hostdoc handled it poorly and had a chance to prevent this thread, how many times do I have to write it out?

A not so smart guy is driving the highway in the opposite direction, causing fear to all the other drivers and danger for a serious accident. He suddenly hears at the radio some breaking news:
    -Drivers on the highway, be careful! One idiot is driving the opposite direction!
    And he says to himself:
    -One idiot? They are thousands!

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
  • eoleol Member

@corbpie said:
    Hostdoc handled it poorly and had a 19 minute chance to prevent this thread...

This discussion has been closed.