Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10G Hurricane Electric - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10G Hurricane Electric

2»

Comments

• @eol said:
    Hurricane electric sounds contradictory to me.

Hurricane powered electric maybe.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @eol said:
    Hurricane electric sounds contradictory to me.

One massive wind turbine...

Thanked by 1eol
  • belabela Member

We use them in the EU, and never had any major issues with them. They peer at every big IX in Europe and globally, so they have good routes. For the price they are unbeatable!!!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You must be mad saying they have good routes.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

I would recommend not having HE in your mix and just peering with them. They are one of the few carriers that offers direct peering pretty much anywhere. Pick up a combination NTT/Cogent instead for your transit.

• belabela Member

I must be!

We use GTT, Telia, RETN and HE...I dont see much major difference, other than maybe a few exotic locations. For our customers purposes HE is great. Again, considering the price. They cost 3-4 times less than the other Tier 1 providers.

@Clouvider said:
    You must be mad saying they have good routes.

• belabela Member

I wouldn't use Cogent in my worst nightmares. They are terrible in Europe. We had them twice and cancelled twice. Every month they have a new sales rep calling us promising that they improved..They are cheap, but we wouldn't use them even if they would be free.. Your mileage may vary, and supposedly they are better in the USA...

@MrRadic said:
    I would recommend not having HE in your mix and just peering with them. They are one of the few carriers that offers direct peering pretty much anywhere. Pick up a combination NTT/Cogent instead for your transit.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Few days ago i got quote for 10g on 10g for $900. So what you pay is what you get

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@bela said:
    I wouldn't use Cogent in my worst nightmares. They are terrible in Europe. We had them twice and cancelled twice. Every month they have a new sales rep calling us promising that they improved..They are cheap, but we wouldn't use them even if they would be free.. Your mileage may vary, and supposedly they are better in the USA...

@MrRadic said:

We primarily use them for Cogent > Cogent routes, but not as our primary carrier. I only recommend it as a cheap option not to be single homed.

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: You must be mad saying they have good routes.

They have better IPv6 routes to Google than Cogent.. ;)
    I as well peer with HE, its just the cheapest way of getting secondary IPv6 transit.
    Peering with HE on IPv4 is also not to bad considering the number of routes you get.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

Peering with HE as well, so far no problems.

I’m talking using them as transit. They often have issues on peering with other ISPs, or across the ocean. On top of it zero traffic engineer communities, so you’re out of luck if you want to improve something on inbound.

When we tried using it as a transit for v6, it was pretty quickly dropped. It significantly worsened overall quality of the network. We left them as a peer though, so we have good access to their Customers.

• rsync_dot_netrsync_dot_net Member, Host Rep

We (rsync.net) have 10gb he.net links in Fremont and Denver and a 1gb link in Hong Kong.

I really, really enjoy working with their company and the way they run their business - in many ways it's very much like the way I try to run rsync.net - do one simple thing really well and don't complicate your business with anything else.

Service, support and performance have all been great.

As for Hong Kong, specifically, I will say that if you want he.net connectivity you're going to need to be in MegaIadvantage or in the smaller HKColo building or in Equinix HK1. Otherwise you're going to need to pay for an expensive cross connect over HKBN or whatever to get to where you want to colo.

I really don't like the physical infrastructure of megaIadvantage and I was not at all impressed with the operation there ... just a mess when I toured in 2011. We are located in the big HKColo building in Tseun Kwan O / LOHAS Park and we do indeed need to pay for link back over to the other HKColo building but we negotiated a very good deal for that.

I think he.net POP in Equinix HK1 is new ... that was not always an option ...

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited August 2019

No one says they aren’t cheap... or pleasant. Or that their sales doesn’t care.

Frankly using any transit with no communities whatsoever (apart from black hole), is reckless, at best.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

Clouvider said: Frankly using any transit with no communities whatsoever (apart from black hole), is reckless, at best.

+1

The more BGP communities, the easier it is to take full advantage of a provider's strengths and route around the weaknesses.

If a provider doesn't have good BGP communities, when there is a problem, the only option is to just shut the session, which significantly decreases the usefulness of connecting to a provider.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@Clouvider said:
    No one says they aren’t cheap... or pleasant. Or that their sales doesn’t care.

Frankly using any transit with no communities whatsoever (apart from black hole), is reckless, at best.

That describes most HK upstreams.... no communities INCLUDING blackhole.

When problems arise, solution is to drop session.

• @randvegeta said:
    What do people think about Hurricane Electric? Personally I've always found their network to be lacking, and in many ways inferior to the competition.

On the other hand their pricing is extremely competitive, especially in HK, where the undercut the competition by charging as much as 99% LESS. In fact HE.net is almost as cheap as HKIX, which is crazy since for local HK bandwidth, HE.net is pretty much as good as HKIX given HE.net has a few hundred Gbit of connectivity TO HKIX.

In recent years, they also seem to have expanded their network and they have more POPs in Asia, making them a more useful provider for Asia than 5+ years ago for example.

For Asia, they are still kindof 'crap', but their pricing more than makes up for it.

What is the general opinion of HE.net in USA and Europe? Is a 10G port for <$2k /month worth it?

I think you can compare with HKIX, because HKIX is just for hong kong local network, not suppose you to go out of hong kong. if you have your own engineer can set up the network router.... i think you better go for HKIX. If not, just pick up the Local Provider to pick their DIA service, and just for local bandwidth, then you will have the best Hong kong network experience.

• @Janevski said:
    @randvegeta i always read your nick name as @ragevendetta.

Your world of associations requires a deep examination

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@vinicman said:

@randvegeta said:
    What do people think about Hurricane Electric? Personally I've always found their network to be lacking, and in many ways inferior to the competition.

On the other hand their pricing is extremely competitive, especially in HK, where the undercut the competition by charging as much as 99% LESS. In fact HE.net is almost as cheap as HKIX, which is crazy since for local HK bandwidth, HE.net is pretty much as good as HKIX given HE.net has a few hundred Gbit of connectivity TO HKIX.

In recent years, they also seem to have expanded their network and they have more POPs in Asia, making them a more useful provider for Asia than 5+ years ago for example.

For Asia, they are still kindof 'crap', but their pricing more than makes up for it.

What is the general opinion of HE.net in USA and Europe? Is a 10G port for <$2k /month worth it?

I think you can compare with HKIX, because HKIX is just for hong kong local network, not suppose you to go out of hong kong. if you have your own engineer can set up the network router.... i think you better go for HKIX. If not, just pick up the Local Provider to pick their DIA service, and just for local bandwidth, then you will have the best Hong kong network experience.

Don't necropost

(Congrats on your first post)

This discussion has been closed.