Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10G Hurricane Electric
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10G Hurricane Electric

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

What do people think about Hurricane Electric? Personally I've always found their network to be lacking, and in many ways inferior to the competition.

On the other hand their pricing is extremely competitive, especially in HK, where the undercut the competition by charging as much as 99% LESS. In fact HE.net is almost as cheap as HKIX, which is crazy since for local HK bandwidth, HE.net is pretty much as good as HKIX given HE.net has a few hundred Gbit of connectivity TO HKIX.

In recent years, they also seem to have expanded their network and they have more POPs in Asia, making them a more useful provider for Asia than 5+ years ago for example.

For Asia, they are still kindof 'crap', but their pricing more than makes up for it.

What is the general opinion of HE.net in USA and Europe? Is a 10G port for <$2k /month worth it?

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

To get the Best connectivity in Asia you really need peering (e.g IX) to get you to major ISPs. The routes via transit can be very inconsistent compared to what we are used to in the US & Europe.

I haven't extensively tested Asian HE during peak periods but I've been informed they can be quite congested. One of the big downsides I have found however with HE is the lack of traffic engineering communities. A real dealbreaker if you plan to use them selectively (e.g with routes they have trouble with going over someone else like NTT)

Thanked by 2Daniel15 hanoi
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

No problems with HE in Europe. They like to peer at all IXes, which usually means good way to reach lots of residential ISPs.

Amen to the "no traffic engineering" thing though. The only community they support is :666, RTBH.

Thanked by 1ma2t
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

lack of traffic engineering communities, as @SplitIce mentioned, is the non-starter for anything high quality with them. The only thing that they might be useful for is the outbound solely where you have some networks you want to route through them.

We evaluated adding them to our mix, decided against it and told them a number of times to not come back until they implement TE communities.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Clouvider said: We evaluated adding them to our mix, decided against it

You are almost pure HE.net on IPv6.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

In HK We are basically pure HE for IPv6. Our main carrier, HGC doesn't support it. Or rather, they don't support it on our existing service, and charge a different rate per mbit.

As for TE, even who supports this in HK ? :D No one as far as I can tell.. Maybe PCCW...

@rm_ said:

We peer with HE. No need to bring misery for HE.net Customers by making them route to us via transits.

But yes - HE.net has virtually the largest IPv6 Customer base and on top of this the tunnel broker, so you'll see quite a bit of them over the IXs.

@Clouvider,

How much is 10G to HE.net in the UK?

Less than Cogent, we were negotiating so it wouldn't be fair to share, it was a year ago anyway.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

Early 2018 they send us this:

For our 10,000Mbps Full Flat Rate 10GigE Internet Bandwidth ports $2,500/month. Or, > we also offer plans as low as a very special $0.14/Mbps (fourteen cents per Mbps) = $1,400/month USD.

As we don't consider them reliable we do not discussed pricing any further.

@FR_Michael said:
    Early 2018 they send us this:

For our 10,000Mbps Full Flat Rate 10GigE Internet Bandwidth ports $2,500/month. Or, > we also offer plans as low as a very special $0.14/Mbps (fourteen cents per Mbps) = $1,400/month USD.

As we don't consider them reliable we do not discussed pricing any further.

This is the UK? Interesting. Their HK pricing seems even better now! Amazing.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

Prices differ for Canada, Asia, Belle Plaine, Charlotte, Cheyenne, Madison, Montgomery, Omaha, Philadelphia, Reno, Rochester, Southfield, or BAIS/vXchange, please ask for details.

So i believe this pricing is UK and Germany (where we are located). This is an not negotiated offer from them so take with salt.

edited January 2019

@FR_Michael said:

Prices differ for Canada, Asia, Belle Plaine, Charlotte, Cheyenne, Madison, Montgomery, Omaha, Philadelphia, Reno, Rochester, Southfield, or BAIS/vXchange, please ask for details.

So i believe this pricing is UK and Germany (where we are located). This is an not negotiated offer from them so take with salt.

In HK there is no negotiation. They have fixed pricing (or so it seems).

1G = US$360 /month
    10G = US$1,700 /month

1G over 10G Burstable = US$1,200 /month + $1.20 /Mbit (95%)

Price is does not include the cross connect or local loop (where applicable). This can costs thousands, so HE.net is actually not the main cost.

By contrast HKIX cost about $120 for 1G and 10G is US$1,000 per month. But again, you would have the same fees for the cross connect and local loop.

Providers like PCCW would literally charge ~$10,000 /month for 1G.

Thanked by 2inklight tcp6
  • sinsin Member

Well...I like their free DNS :-)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I go through the effort to depref their routes on my network, I'd rather turn up Cogent then deal with HE directly.

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:

@FR_Michael said:

1G = US$360 /month
    10G = US$1,700 /month

Price is does not include the cross connect or local loop (where applicable). This can costs thousands, so HE.net is actually not the main cost.

By contrast HKIX cost about $120 for 1G and 10G is US$1,000 per month. But again, you would have the same fees for the cross connect and local loop.

No it's negotiated, we have more than 100G in HK and US with he.net and you did not get the best price I think.

edited January 2019

@techhelper1 said:
    I go through the effort to depref their routes on my network, I'd rather turn up Cogent then deal with HE directly.

So you feel it’s better to run to HE Customer via Transit ? It wasn’t the case in the significant number of tests that I run.

• @xTom said:

@randvegeta said:

@FR_Michael said:

No it's negotiated, we have more than 100G in HK and US with he.net and you did not get the best price I think.

Define “we” in that sentence?

Regards.

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited January 2019

@randvegeta said:
    1G = US$360 /month

Can I haz 4~5M from you for US$2,50 /month plzzz?
    (Yes, M not G. Not a typo.)

@xTom said:

@randvegeta said:

@FR_Michael said:

1G = US$360 /month
    10G = US$1,700 /month

Perhaps at 100G there is negotiation? But not at 10G or less.

@tcp6 said:

@randvegeta said:
    1G = US$360 /month

This is not actually possible. Local loop = ~1k and the cross connect = ~275

• equipment. Realistically its still ~$2/mbit at 1G levels. 10G maybe. But i dont have that kind of commit.
  • @randvegeta said:

@tcp6 said:

@randvegeta said:
    1G = US$360 /month

• equipment. Realistically its still ~$2/mbit at 1G levels. 10G maybe. But i dont have that kind of commit.

Meh, I just wanna do a /usr/bin/transmission-remote -u 500 -d 500 & from some nice host in .HK for cheaply as possible. :blush:

2bad.

@tcp6 said:

@randvegeta said:

@tcp6 said:

@randvegeta said:
    1G = US$360 /month

Meh, I just wanna do a /usr/bin/transmission-remote -u 500 -d 500 & from some nice host in .HK for cheaply as possible. :blush:

2bad.

Well I'm considering getting the 10G line, which will reduce cost per mbit by like 80%

So maybe then :-)

• @randvegeta said:

@tcp6 said:

@randvegeta said:

@tcp6 said:

@randvegeta said:
    1G = US$360 /month

2bad.

Well I'm considering getting the 10G line, which will reduce cost per mbit by like 80%

So maybe then :-)

Maaayyyyybe... :-)

• @tcp6 said:

Define “we” in that sentence?

Obvious to me as the company whose account just post the reply.

• offtopic , I enjoined read interesting info in this threads even the numbers here too big for me , I really love this forum :smile:

Thanked by 1sin
  • Clouvider said: So you feel it’s better to run to HE Customer via Transit ? It wasn’t the case in the significant number of tests that I run.

I have peering with them at Equinix and Any2 at CoreSite. I don't depref them entirely, just specific AS paths.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:

@xTom said:

@randvegeta said:

@FR_Michael said:

1G = US$360 /month
    10G = US$1,700 /month

In our experience, if you order a 100G port, it would be expensive than 10x 10G port if you forget the cross connect fee.

But, yes, the price can be negotiated if you work with them for a long time.

• eoleol Member

Hurricane electric sounds contradictory to me.

Thanked by 2Unixfy bjo

@xTom said:

@randvegeta said:

@xTom said:

@randvegeta said:

@FR_Michael said:

1G = US$360 /month
    10G = US$1,700 /month

In our experience, if you order a 100G port, it would be expensive than 10x 10G port if you forget the cross connect fee.

But, yes, the price can be negotiated if you work with them for a long time.

One must factor in the cross connect which is exorbitant at the 1G levels. Local loops are expensive too but at least that has to span some distance. Xcon shud be cheap. Rack space in HK is already expensive.

Thanked by 1vinicman
This discussion has been closed.