Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitaccel Fail - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitaccel Fail

Comments

• @jarland said:
    It's because NY is a little different. No one ever says Texas when they mean Dallas, but they'll say New York for both city and state in one reference. It's about common reference more than anything.

It is not depends where you live.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited October 2013

@jarland said:
    It's because NY is a little different. No one ever says Texas when they mean Dallas, but they'll say New York for both city and state in one reference. It's about common reference more than anything.

Texas has either DFW or Houston. And in people's perceptive, it is either NYC or nothing.
    em.... I don't want to hijack the thread. Create a new thread for this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dnwk said:
    em.... I don't want to hijack the thread. Create a new thread for this.

Haha tbh it's probably different in different places. Here we say New York to reference NYC, and the rest of the state is dead to us. Up closer that way it's probably entirely different.

• @Corey said:
    On top of this - we can't see the 'TB' of traffic we use in the colocrossing portal. We can only see the 95th percentile in mbit.... we had no clue what traffic we were using.

This is why you always track bandwidth yourself. You can do it without access to the switch.

• emgemg Veteran

For the record, my BitAccel VPS in LA is working perfectly. I have had nothing but good experiences from Corey and BitAccel, and Corey's previous VPS company, which he sold to a larger provider. I am confident that Corey will get this issue straightened out quickly and will make good for his customers.

• Microlinux said: @Corey said: On top of this - we can't see the 'TB' of traffic we use in the colocrossing portal. We can only see the 95th percentile in mbit.... we had no clue what traffic we were using.

This is why you always track bandwidth yourself. You can do it without access to the switch.

Service has been restored, we will be working on a permanent solution.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2013

@Jack said:
    Would be $75 not a $200 overage?

$99/mo for the overage, they prorated back to 9/15 or something for the other $99.... this was a favor from them. The overage would have been $2830 flat fee.

We hadn't paid the $200 yet for the server fee as well because we were hurting from the WHMCS vulnerability. 2Checkout funds came in today and we were able to pay.

• This type of stuff should be worked out behind closed doors and not let it harm the customer. If even several thousand dollars is a issue then you all know where the priorities are, money over customer.

• HC_Ro said: This type of stuff should be worked out behind closed doors and not let it harm the customer. If even several thousand dollars is a issue then you all know where the priorities are, money over customer.

We were trying to work out the issue behind closed doors. If the issue was money over the customer I would have just done a runner and not paid the bill.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited October 2013

Corey said: We were trying to work out the issue behind closed doors. If the issue was money over the customer I would have just done a runner and not paid the bill.

No, you are doing people wrong by not having the money in reserve even if it is personal income and not related to the business.

If you just are totally bankrupt why are you claiming you can support and welcome customers business?

• @HC_Ro said:
    No, you are doing people wrong by not having the money in reserve even if it is personal income and not related to the business.

If you just are totally bankrupt why are you claiming you can support and welcome customers business?

It's not always that easy :) Thanks for the advice though.

Just be thankful that he's honest where the more typical statement is "our servers are offline please stand by while we work to resolve the situation."

Honesty should be celebrated as much as possible.

• I just dont understand why people keep putting trust in failed businesses.

• @HC_Ro said:
    I just dont understand why people keep putting trust in failed businesses.

Sounds like you are just pushing your own company here now..... nothing is failed?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited October 2013

No I legitimately feel bad for your customers. YDGH was not a gigantic flop?

At some point someone needs to question practices like this. Shovebrand for example, people just sit here and tolerate bullshit.... etc. All the underlying crap that people keep having to put up with.

Bullshit, buffered up businesses that dont care a bit about what they offer.

• @HC_Ro said:

At some point someone needs to question practices like this. Shovebrand for example, people just sit here and tolerate bullshit.... etc. All the underlying crap that people keep having to put up with.

Nope - YDGH wasn't a flop..... we had YDGH for 4 years..... I just didn't want to be in the partnership anymore. Yes - lets question all businesses that get hit with a WHMCS vulnerability and suffer because of it. You're accusations are a bit ridiculous.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I had service with YDGH and corey was always nice and the service perfect.
    I do not see it as a gigantic flop even now, if we add up, bitaccel did better than most here, but let's face it, the market is dead, many people will get out of it whether willing or unwilling, in a market like this you have to innovate and work very hard to be able to survive and turn a profit.
    @corey seems to be aware of the issues he told CC that pulling the plug will probably mean failure and he is probably right, the customers expect the moon for pennies and it is normal in these conditions in which the market is today.

edited October 2013

@HC_Ro said:

Take some time to get to know people. Shovey (Michael) has worked hard to do better and he's put in his time. Corey here is a standup guy who had an unfortunate problem recently that he couldn't afford. We all know LEB brands don't have high profit margins.

Spend less time getting mad and more time talking to people, maybe then you'll understand why others are so calm.

• Oh alright I am sorry.

• LeeLee Veteran

@HC_Ro - I am sure you know the market well enough to know that by far the majority of providers here won't have $200 on hand for anything.

• @Corey said:
    Nope - YDGH wasn't a flop..... we had YDGH for 4 years..... I just didn't want to be in the partnership anymore. Yes - lets question all businesses that get hit with a WHMCS vulnerability and suffer because of it. You're accusations are a bit ridiculous.

This is why every other company is getting their servers shut off because they can't cover $200 in overages, too

• @texteditor said:
    This is why every other company is getting their servers shut off because they can't cover $200 in overages, too

Well I just did.

• My point is if you are juggling funds day-by-day just to keep your servers online your business model isn't viable and you have no business in this industry

• jarland said: Corey here is a standup guy who had an unfortunate problem recently that he couldn't afford. We all know LEB brands don't have high profit margins.

Yes, Corey is a standup guy and he's honest. He's also technically knowledgeable and provides a good service.

But he sucks at customer service.

I started this thread, and I explained that my service with Bitaccel was down for 24 hours before any message came from Corey. CC first cut off one node, then a day later, Bitaccel's other two nodes. It was only after that that Corey sent out the email.

Any provider that leaves customer down and in the dark for 24 hours is useless for me. I don't want to use the service, and it erodes any confidence I had in the provider.

(And FYI, ErrantWeb Detroit is also down -- currently for 23 hrs 15 min -- with zero communications and no response to tickets. Add them to the list of "great providers when it works".)

Shit happens -- technical, & financial. I can understand that. But a lack of communication with clients is inexcusable.

• Okay guys take a deep breath and relax.

@Corey at least came clean and did not try to hide the fact they had some financial problems. It happens to all of us no matter how well we plan. I applaud him for his honesty, and the fact he did not try to hide it. He bit the bullet, knowing the crapstorm he could have walked into and did the right thing.

The servers are back online and people should have access to their data, according to Corey. I would think anyone who did not have back ups would be getting some and the rest should be thankful he did pay the bill and not just run off.

I hope things look up for the entire BitAccel team. This is a hard business and we need more honest people like them.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • AuroraZ said: he did not try to hide it

Read what I wrote. He did not communicate for 24 hours while clients on node NY3 were down. That's OK in your view?

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Jack said: Didn't ErrantWeb close Detroit?

If they did, it wouldn't been nice if they let their clients their know about it.

• emgemg Veteran

I am appalled by the amount of vitriol I see here. For the record:

My first VPS was from YourDomainGoesHere (YDGH). It operated flawlessly. Service and support were superb, well above anything reasonable for an unmanaged lowendbox with a complete novice (me) operating it. YDGH was sold last year to a larger VPS provider. The transition was so smooth and transparent that I didn't realize it was under new ownership. I only realized that ownership had changed when I opened a support ticket - believe me, the new owners did not handle it nearly as well as Corey would have done, which is what clued me into the ownership change. I still have that VPS, by the way, so whatever Corey did to set up the business worked well.

Later, I saw another deal on LowEndBox from BitAccel. The value for the price (features, and especially performance) has been the best I have seen on LEB. I knew and trusted Corey from YDGH, and so far, he has done well.

I know some customers are unhappy that their BitAccel VPSs went down. It is fixed now. Everyone wants perfection, but I have seen so much worse. Too many times my AT&T DSL has gone down at home for days at a time. A company I worked for lost all connectivity after a backhoe accidentally dug up their fiber optic cable. It left 180 expensive software developers and support staff idle for three days. Stuff happens. It takes time to fix things when they break.

Corey deserves our admiration for his honesty, forthrightness, and the good job he did communicating with his customers as the situation unfolded. He got the problem fixed in a reasonable amount of time, and he says that he is working on plans to ensure that the same issue does not happen again. I don't know what more you could want.

Corey has a long and admirable track record of running quality low end VPS businesses, something that everyone agrees is not an easy thing to do. His company had a partial outage this day. Crisis management is not easy. Before you are quick to criticize Corey, imagine yourself in his shoes. By my reckoning, he did pretty well.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship to Corey, other than as a VPS customer of YDGH and later, BitAccel.

This discussion has been closed.