Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP justification? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP justification?

2»

Comments

• @Francisco said: As @Daniel mentioned, people will start selling off ports, or, do ipv6-only vm's with some form of NAT'd ipv4 for updates/outbound traffic.

So we're back to the old days of shell-accounts? Not that I dislike those times. But I expect to have a bit more freedom on a VPS with how I manage my ports.

• @Francisco said: There's a provider that gives a NAT IP by default so they're likely selling off ports.

That customer can have :9001, that other customer can have :4503, that customer has been a good boy he can have :101, but that customers been a bad boy, he should have :1337

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • I actually like the idea of having a NATed VPS, as the only things i usually run are gameservers and Teamspeak servers which can easily use arbitrary ports :)

• @gsrdgrdghd said: the only things i usually run are gameservers and Teamspeak servers which can easily use arbitrary ports :)

This is true, but it might not always be straightforward to use different ports when connecting to a game server. The game browser might not have support, or it does not support the ip:port notation properly.

• @Jacob

Really, we have never had any issues getting IPs from them.

• @littleguy said: This is true, but it might not always be straightforward to use different ports when connecting to a game server. The game browser might not have support, or it does not support the ip:port notation properly.

Besides that, I guess it won't work with HTTP/HTTPS sessions.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

What we might start seeing is reverse proxies that cache for people, kinda like localized cachefly's

Francisco

• @Francisco said: What we might start seeing is reverse proxies that cache for people, kinda like localized cachefly's

Didn't we have that in the 90ies with squid and the 56k dialup-lines?

@nabo said: Didn't we have that in the 90ies with squid and the 56k dialup-lines?

I have no idea, I didn't live in the dial-up days for very long :P By the time I got the 'net at my house, @home was just starting up so I was able to get that.

I'll be honest, I fully expect that to start happening if things start tightening.

Any other LEB's that use burstnet having this issue? or likely just the super-LEB market?

Francisco

@littleguy said: I too am confused as to what to do. My box currently only has a subdomain (ie server5.example.com).

Is this enough for "ip justification", or what else do you need?

It sounds like they're trying to enforce SSL like requirements to VPS allocations o_O

Francisco

• I think ISPs should get on their way to enabling IPv6 throughout the network that way people like myself don't have to use tunnelbroker nor use NAT.

Really getting old.

• @nabo said: Didn't we have that in the 90ies with squid and the 56k dialup-lines?

Yes, I setup squid in the 90's at a remote pop when 400 dialup lines were flooding a T1 pretty bad, reduced the bandwidth for the location to 1.2mbit which was great since it was Frame-Relay.

• @miTgiB said: Yes, I setup squid in the 90's at a remote pop when 400 dialup lines were flooding a T1 pretty bad, reduced the bandwidth for the location to 1.2mbit which was great since it was Frame-Relay.

I wonder how the caching will work with all those web 2.0 social networks. I did use squid on my local network to reduce traffic which was quite expensive in the 90ies. But we had more static pages at that time. Now nearly every site I visit gets personalized. Will caching be still so effective?

@nabo said: I wonder how the caching will work with all those web 2.0 social networks. I did use squid on my local network to reduce traffic which was quite expensive in the 90ies. But we had more static pages at that time. Now nearly every site I visit gets personalized. Will caching be still so effective?

I don't think they'll be using it to cache, just as a ghetto 'virtual hosts' setup.

Francisco

• @nabo There's still a lot of "caching" going on with all major CDNs having edges located directly at ISPs. Thats especially the case for Youtube videos.

• Is there anyone here remembering the world without the 'net'? :-D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

Some of us actually do. Same as terrible high phone bill years later (dial-up line).

• so from buying 1.2.3.4-1.2.3.9 with 65535 ports
    to 1.2.3.4:800-1.2.3.4:899 with 100 ipv6 to match them ;)
    anyone happy with such a scenario ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think IPv6 is inevitable, I frankly fail to see how IPv4 lasted so long.
    Personally, I dont host many sites on VPS and I use virtual domains whenever possible, it is convenient to have LEB on IPv4, but I fear it is not sustainable.
    I can do with ports for v4 AND full v6, but usually I wont consider just one of the two.
    M