Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP justification?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP justification?

LESLES Member
edited February 2012 in General

Got an email from a LEB provider that's confusing me a little bit:

The data centre has asked us to provide IP justification for the current IP allocation.
Could you please reply with the domain name that is pointing to your ip address.
I need this information to keep the IP active, If I am not able to provide 
the information to the data centre the IP's will be revoked.

Comments

• Shouldn't the VPS host be doing this is they provided you with the IPs....

Also, why would you point a domain to each IP.

• The VPS provider is the one needing to provide justification.

• to make it less fussy.. they ask you a question and you give them an answer. normally SSL, dns server suffice unless u have many ip unused.

• Since when is IP pointing to a domain enough to justify IP usage?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

One server (virtual or real) you need to manage remotely is enough to justify one ip usage... (unless you use VPS without network connectivity through a virtual console)

• From what I understand, OP has more than one IP on that VPS. It would be completely ridiculous to ask for justification for his only IP

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vedran said: From what I understand, OP has more than one IP on that VPS. It would be completely ridiculous to ask for justification for his only IP

It's quite possible.

I know I've been asked a few times about the idea of offering NAT'd vps servers.

Francisco

• LESLES Member
    edited February 2012

Just to clarify: it's a classic $15/y box just with one ip (no extras).

• It's entirely possible that the datacenter that your VPS is in is cracking down on rampant IP usage, and your provider would like to know what you're using it for just to be able to pad out their justification response.

@LES - What datacenter are they with? Any hints on that at least?

Francisco

• OrgName: Network Operations Center Inc.
    City: Scranton

• @LES

That's not a hint... that's revealing the answer. :P

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

You'd think they'd spend more time cracking down on my abuse reports about fraudsters on their network, signing up for our service, than worrying about IP addresses. Apparently not....

• @Damian said: than worrying about IP addresses.

When you are spam friendly....

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • @LES said: OrgName: Network Operations Center Inc.

City: Scranton

Based on how cheaply BurstNET sells IPs, I would expect them to be abused.

• I have also received this email and can reveal the provider is YourVZ.

I too am confused as to what to do. My box currently only has a subdomain (ie server5.example.com).

Is this enough for "ip justification", or what else do you need?

• @littleguy said: Is this enough for "ip justification", or what else do you need?

You have a VPS, that is enough justification for 1 IPv4 in my mind.

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • @miTgiB said: You have a VPS, that is enough justification for 1 IPv4 in my mind.

Mine too, but it looks like some people think internet is used only for websites and domains ...

• @vedran said: Mine too, but it looks like some people think internet is used only for websites and domains ...

I can attest for that. Last time we asked our datacenter for another IP block, we received an extremely pissy response from them, about how websites should be hosted with virtual hosting and even SSL sites don't need unique IPs, blah blah blah blah...

And that forced us to begin the path to getting our own block from ARIN.

• @miTgiB said: You have a VPS, that is enough justification for 1 IPv4 in my mind.

I agree with you :)

just tell them your domain, this happen to prgmr too few time ago.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

when customer order 3-4 IP addresses, it should be a valid reason for it - like for SSL certificate, nameservers or other reasons.

• @DotVPS said: Burst.net don't ask for IP Justification... I put "VPS's" they gave me a /24...

Some providers (eg BurstNET, Wholesale) are literally giving away IPs for nothing, while others (eg SoftLayer) are charging through the roof for them and being very snoopy about their use.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2012

WholesaleInternet, I am assuming you are referring too. I am trying to get a /26 Allocated and so far all I have from Datashack is "We can only do /28's at the momment" and then 24 Hours later after I paid for a "Single" /28 (Oh yeah, They can only do ONE /28) still no IP Address block.

Honestly, This is a joke.

• So how are people treating this message?

I am still unsure what to answer YourVZ..

• @littleguy said: I am still unsure what to answer YourVZ..

Ask them how you would access your VPS without any IP.

@nabo said: Ask them how you would access your VPS without any IP.

ARIN is actually starting to expect people to NAT their boxes.

I know when we went for our last allocation they were pushing for us to NAT/ipv6-only things.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: ARIN is actually starting to expect people to NAT their boxes.

I know when we went for our last allocation they were pushing for us to NAT/ipv6-only things.

Francisco

Before you know it, providers will start selling off ports.

• nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco said: ARIN is actually starting to expect people to NAT their boxes.

If you're the only one using the boxes behind the NAT it might be fine. But how will you NAT port 80 on one external IP for everybody if different people want to make use of external HTTP-requests on each of their VPS?

Edit: And how about SSL, doesn't that interfere with NAT in this case?

@Daniel said: Before you know it, providers will start selling off ports.

There's a provider that gives a NAT IP by default so they're likely selling off ports.

I'm thinking for SSH inbound they're giving out VPN accounts to route in.

Francisco

@nabo said: If you're the only one using the boxes behind the NAT it might be fine. But how will you NAT port 80 on one external IP for everybody if different people want to make use of external HTTP-requests on each of their VPS?

As @Daniel mentioned, people will start selling off ports, or, do ipv6-only vm's with some form of NAT'd ipv4 for updates/outbound traffic.

Francisco