Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stacksocial "Sitewide" 19% discount (although some offers seem to be excluded lol)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stacksocial "Sitewide" 19% discount (although some offers seem to be excluded lol)

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited December 2018 in General

Anyway, you can grab NordVPN 2 years at like ~34€/year, PIA, Ivacy and other VPNs but also other deals ofc :)

Coupon during checkout: NEWYEAR2019

Check it out if you have been waiting for another discount!

Comments

• Thanks for this @Ympker ! Which VPN would you recommend buying for lifetime one time payment?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2018

@visionboard said:
    Thanks for this @Ympker ! Which VPN would you recommend buying for lifetime one time payment?

Check my signature for my reviews :)

Probably Ivacy or Windscribe. Both work with Flix. Ivacy better at unblocking streaming overall, however there mobile app is broken (better use their openvpn manual on phone). Windscribe overall has lots of nice features and multi layer adblock configurable + static up at 2$/mon+ portforwarding

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Ympker said:

@visionboard said:
    Thanks for this @Ympker ! Which VPN would you recommend buying for lifetime one time payment?

Probably Ivacy or Windscribe. Both work with Flix. Ivacy better at unblocking streaming overall, however there mobile app is broken (better use their openvpn manual on phone). Windscribe overall has lots of nice features and multi layer adblock configurable + static up at 2$/mon+ portforwarding

Thanks for your explanation @Ympker .

I don't use Flix and I think I will grab this one:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpnsecure-lifetime-subscription-2

and 1fichier too :blush:

• @visionboard said:

@Ympker said:

@visionboard said:

Thanks for your explanation @Ympker .

I don't use Flix and I think I will grab this one:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpnsecure-lifetime-subscription-2

and 1fichier too :blush:

I haven't heard so good things about VPNSecure but sure go ahead if you want ;)
    It's not like I know for sure that it's bad either,

Thanked by 1visionboard
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2018

@visionboard Now I remember why I didnt recommend it:

https://restoreprivacy.com/vpn-warning-list/

VPNSecure – VPNSecure is based in Australia – a 5 eyes country that is not good for privacy. VPNSecure was also identified in an academic paper for leaking IPv6 and DNS requests, which leaves its users exposed to “surveillance and malicious agents.” The same paper also noted that VPNSecure has a number of egress points in residential ISPs. This suggests that users are unknowingly being used as endpoints in a P2P-like bandwidth network – i.e. user bandwidth is being stolen (although the paper could not confirm this). (See here for more info.)

Ivacy is on that list, too. But nothing I didn't already know or consider a deal-breaker.

Thanked by 2eol visionboard
  • I stand by PIA. It's amazing at least for me, very fast, app is great and works everywhere. 5 years for $95 is a total steal.

• @hacktek said:
    I stand by PIA. It's amazing at least for me, very fast, app is great and works everywhere. 5 years for $95 is a total steal.

Watch out for next Black Friday then :)

5year and 2 year deal was available at Stacksocial with like 40?!% off :)

• Wow really? I missed that unfortunately.

• @hacktek said:
    Wow really? I missed that unfortunately.

I posted about it here on LET actually :)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/153765/stacksocial-20-off-sitewide#latest

BFSAVE40 worked for PIA 5 year deal. So would've been like 70$ which is like 14$/year.

• That's crazy. Do you know if it worked as credit for existing accounts? I'll certainly keep an eye out for it next time if that's the case.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Stacksocial pretty much just sells bullshit. Almost everything they sell is misrepresented in some way. I wouldn't buy something from there (nor recommend that others do so) if it were 90% off.

So too with NordVPN, which flat-out lies in its advertising about what they provide, leading people to believe that their traffic is somehow magically encrypted (it is not) and anonymous (it is not).

• @joepie91 said:
    Stacksocial pretty much just sells bullshit. Almost everything they sell is misrepresented in some way. I wouldn't buy something from there (nor recommend that others do so) if it were 90% off.

So too with NordVPN, which flat-out lies in its advertising about what they provide, leading people to believe that their traffic is somehow magically encrypted (it is not) and anonymous (it is not).

Just grabbed VPN Secure lifetime for $16. So far so good.

@visionboard said:

@joepie91 said:

I mean, if your metric for judging VPNs is "does it look like it works", then yeah, I'm sure that it'll seem to work fine. But if you want them to actually be useful, that's not gonna be enough...

• @joepie91 said:

For most of the stuff on the site I agree however PIA and Nord are pretty reputable third parties so I don't see a problem.

• @joepie91 said:

@visionboard said:

@joepie91 said:

I mean, if your metric for judging VPNs is "does it look like it works", then yeah, I'm sure that it'll seem to work fine. But if you want them to actually be useful, that's not gonna be enough...

Depends on the use case. If all you want to do with the VPN is unblock geo restrictions (Flix etc) and have another ip displayed when streaming it's good enough :)

edited January 2019

@hacktek said:

@joepie91 said:

For most of the stuff on the site I agree however PIA and Nord are pretty reputable third parties so I don't see a problem.

NordVPN isn't "reputable" in the slightest. They just have very effective marketing. In which they outright lie about what their service does. How is that 'reputable'?

Ympker said: Depends on the use case. If all you want to do with the VPN is unblock geo restrictions (Flix etc) and have another ip displayed when streaming it's good enough :)

Then you should just use a proxy (or DNS-based bypass) for specifically those services, so that you don't send literally all of your other traffic through the same service as well.

That's the big danger of misusing a VPN as a proxy; it also captures the stuff that isn't low-value, and it's exceedingly difficult to reliably prevent that. This usecase is not what VPNs were designed for, and it shows in how they function.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2019

@joepie91 said:

@hacktek said:

@joepie91 said:

NordVPN isn't "reputable" in the slightest. They just have very effective marketing. In which they outright lie about what their service does. How is that 'reputable'?

Ympker said: Depends on the use case. If all you want to do with the VPN is unblock geo restrictions (Flix etc) and have another ip displayed when streaming it's good enough :)

Then you should just use a proxy (or DNS-based bypass) for specifically those services, so that you don't send literally all of your other traffic through the same service as well.

That's the big danger of misusing a VPN as a proxy; it also captures the stuff that isn't low-value, and it's exceedingly difficult to reliably prevent that. This usecase is not what VPNs were designed for, and it shows in how they function.

At home to unblock I use some SmartDNS right from the router. When traveling I use VPN/Browser extension (Proxy). I've been happy with that. With the VPN I use per-app/programm filtering is enabled so I can define apps that will be tunneled through vpn and which won't (split tunneling).

Btw. I have read https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29 a while back and still use VPN services for my own convenience ;) Also VPN on Fire TV in Hotel Wifi is great^^

• @Ympker said:

@joepie91 said:

@hacktek said:

@joepie91 said:

At home to unblock I use some SmartDNS right from the router. When traveling I use VPN/Browser extension (Proxy). I've been happy with that. With the VPN I use per-app/programm filtering is enabled so I can define apps that will be tunneled through vpn and which won't (split tunneling).

Btw. I have read https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29 a while back and still use VPN services for my own convenience ;) Also VPN on Fire TV in Hotel Wifi is great^^

Could you please PM me what smart dns you use?
    Most of the ones I tried don't work or only offer USA dns.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@joepie91 said:

@hacktek said:

@joepie91 said:

Can you back up those claims?

• eoleol Member

By nature NordVPN, etc. are just honeypots.

• That's your assumption anyway. I mean, I don't care, I don't use it. But until someone comes up with information from a trusted source saying otherwise, it's all hearsay/talkingoutofonesass.

• eoleol Member

These companies whether they were an intelligence operation from the start or not are required to share their data. If they don't comply they will be history or worse.
    It's as easy as that.
    Use your brain and some "math".

• eoleol Member

@eol said:
    These companies whether they were an intelligence operation from the start or not are required to share their data. If they don't comply they will be history or worse.
    It's as easy as that.

EDIT:
    Do you really believe there is any privacy or anonymity on the net?
    Using legal and public services?
    Why are they legal and public?
    If they are really anonymous why are they still operating?
    One can't be that naive.

• @eol said:
    It's as easy as that.

I take it you've never heard of Lavabit.

• eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@hacktek said:

@eol said:
    It's as easy as that.

I take it you've never heard of Lavabit.

No.
    But if it's still in operation it is not anonymous.

EDIT:
    Also the rabbit hole is much deeper.
    Backdoors in CPUs and NICs...

@hacktek said:
    That's your assumption anyway. I mean, I don't care, I don't use it. But until someone comes up with information from a trusted source saying otherwise, it's all hearsay/talkingoutofonesass.

Ah yes, so you believe marketing materials that make technically implausible claims, but you won't believe somebody with no skin in the game explaining why those claims are technically implausible.

I wish you good luck with your future endeavours, you're probably going to need it if that's your approach to picking security-related tooling.

Ympker said: At home to unblock I use some SmartDNS right from the router. When traveling I use VPN/Browser extension (Proxy).

Why not just tunnel to your home PC/router? That sidesteps any VPN trust issues entirely.

• @joepie91 said:

@hacktek said:
    That's your assumption anyway. I mean, I don't care, I don't use it. But until someone comes up with information from a trusted source saying otherwise, it's all hearsay/talkingoutofonesass.

Ah yes, so you believe marketing materials that make technically implausible claims, but you won't believe somebody with no skin in the game explaining why those claims are technically implausible.

I wish you good luck with your future endeavours, you're probably going to need it if that's your approach to picking security-related tooling.

Ympker said: At home to unblock I use some SmartDNS right from the router. When traveling I use VPN/Browser extension (Proxy).

Why not just tunnel to your home PC/router? That sidesteps any VPN trust issues entirely.

My home pc/router has Vodafone DS-Lite internet and thus no own IPv4 (only shared with others). Mobile Phone Carriers don't support ipv6 neither does OpenVPN so connecting to it from outside would be a pita.

• @Ympker I'd also appreciate a PM with your choice of of smart DNS. The service I used to use a while back seems to have changed to being more focused on offering VPN's.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Ympker said:

@joepie91 said:

@hacktek said:

My home pc/router has Vodafone DS-Lite internet and thus no own IPv4 (only shared with others). Mobile Phone Carriers don't support ipv6 neither does OpenVPN so connecting to it from outside would be a pita.

Hmm. No ability to set up port forwarding? You'd only need a single port to be forwarded for that to work.

• @joepie91 said:

@Ympker said:

@joepie91 said:

@hacktek said:

Hmm. No ability to set up port forwarding? You'd only need a single port to be forwarded for that to work.

Can't forward any IPv4 Port. That's also why I can't access my Plex from outside home.