Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.com or .xyz
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.com or .xyz

Which domain extension to choose for your business name .com or .xyz ?

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

.com

there are still a lot of people who think that all websites start with www and end with .com

• @suricloud said:
    Which domain extension to choose for your business name .com or .xyz ?

For business there is also .business.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • .win

• .xxx

Thanked by 1inklight
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

.com

or even better .nigh

Thanked by 1eol
  • There's no more meaningful .com available. None. So I hate .com
    I don't have any .com domain name

• dot com prefer mostly peoples so go with dot com.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Why consider xyz when com is the same price if not cheaper depending on where you resister it? Yeah xyz has $0.99c deals in some places, but is saving $9 one time worth having it for a business.

• .ovh

Thanked by 5eol MikeA Daniel15 xaoc ehab
  • .com for any serious use case .xyz just for fun.

• .Welcome

Don'tBea.dick

• pullangcubopullangcubo Member
    edited December 2018

@elliotc said:
    .com for any serious use case .xyz just for fun.

Bu-bu-but Google is using .xyz!

Surely, they must be serious!

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@pullangcubo said:
    Bu-bu-but Google is using .xyz!
    Surely, they must be serious!

I think it depends on the scenario, the extension bring a meaning to their parent company Alphabet.

For example, .host will be a good choice if .com is taken for hosting industries.

• A real man got a 10y .men domain for $6.

Regarding your question. Nobody will take you seriously with a .xyz or rather people will think it's a scam website of your original located at dot com.

• For the most part, it's not a theoretical question. If your preferred .com domain name is available, then go for it. But if it's not, then you have to choose another TLD. If you're not running an online business, I personally don't see a problem with .xyz.

• If .com is not available change your new business name.

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

.com is better for your business .xyz is for shortlinks or a community if you ask me.

• Good luck with your XYZ

Thanked by 2eol CyberMonday
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited December 2018

I know I keep repeating myself, but if a .com is already taken , then there will be confusion and issues at some point if you take another TLD. (excepting for country extensions, that is different). If you like the design of a .xyz name, then get both, secure the .com and use the .xyz if you really want.

• .com

• endritendrit Member
    edited December 2018

.com ofc. .xyz is heavily abused by spammers, and it will never have the same value as .com

• or.

• vovler said: .xxx

that's will be brilliant with safe search enabled :smiley:

1. com

2. net

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2018

No one doubts that .com is generally preferred over .xyz for a business for reasons of tradition, recognition, expectation, and the like.

At the same time, any claim that ".xyz is full of spammers" needs some justification, otherwise it's just an attempt to spread FUD. If we look at Spamhaus's statistics,

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

we see that .xyz is very far from the 10 most abused TLDs. In fact, Spamhaus's current score for .xyz, which is 11.4% bad (score 1.08), is comparable to their score for .com, which is 7.9% bad (score 1.02). Note that the score is the important figure (lower is better), not the raw percentage.

By the way, .net is 10.2% bad (score 1.12), so currently a bit worse than .xyz.

If you want a really safe TLD, .io is a good choice: 0.6% bad (score 0.02).

It's also important to bear in mind that these data are in constant flux, and it's possible that .xyz had a worse score two years ago (it probably did), but I understand that there are/have been proactive attempts to eliminate/reduce abuse on .xyz.

Thanked by 3uptime eol vimalware
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If you get a .xyz instead of a .com, someone comes and pulls a GordonTM

• By the way, if you want to help fight abuse on .xyz, you can report abuse on the following page:

https://gen.xyz/account/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=6

(Personally, I haven't seen much spam from .xyz over the past two years.)

• Unfortunately both the extension com and xyz has been registered for suricloud. And it looks like both of them has been registered by different individuals.

• Business can always be renamed into Sushi Cloud , sounds fun with healthy ingredients :)

Thanked by 1eol