Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help to make a default filesystem - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help to make a default filesystem

2»

Comments

• kidrockkidrock Member
    edited December 2018

Below is the result of my Vultr vps from df -h command

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev 476M 0 476M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 100M 11M 89M 11% /run
    /dev/vda1 25G 15G 8.7G 63% /
    tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user/0

As you can see, whatever programs I install I just run the command and they are installed in 25G (vda1) storage. I don't have to configure anything except install updates/upgrades.

And this one is the result of my Aruba vps from df -h command

udev 471M 0 471M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 99M 16M 83M 17% /run
    /dev/mapper/vg-lv_root 19G 14G 4.1G 77% /
    tmpfs 492M 0 492M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 492M 0 492M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sda1 461M 239M 199M 55% /boot
    tmpfs 99M 0 99M 0% /run/user/0

On this vps too, all programs are installed on the main 19GB (vg-lv_root) storage. And I just need to run updates/upgrades without any configurations to do.

Running df -h command on Ultra has following outputs

udev 488M 0 488M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 100M 11M 89M 11% /run
    /dev/vda1 7.4G 1.3G 6.1G 17% /
    tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/vdb 30G 44M 28G 1% /mnt
    tmpfs 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user/0

That's what I was trying to do on Ultra too. Just install my programs on the main 30GB storage without having to configure anything else. Since programs were being installed on 7.4GB system storage, I was just inquiring how to install programs automatically on the main storage of 30GB just like on the other 2 vps without having to configure anything.

I don't have any idea whether the Vultr ($5) and Aruba (Euro 1) are managed vps compared to Ultra's unmanaged vps.

• @Yura said:
    Over 20 messages and no one mentioned how @kidrock looks nothing like Kid Rock?!

IMPOSTER

Haha this is the novice look of kidrock. Lol

Thanked by 1eol
  • @sleddog said:
    Wow, what a snarl this turned into. AFAICS the OP was where he wanted to be...

/     -> /dev/vda
    > /home -> /dev/vdb

Say shit in /home and use the 30GB drive.

Why does he need to cancel his service?

Exactly. I just wanted a simple wish of using 30GB as my main filesystem to install programs on it instead of what's happening now (anything I install is being written in 7.4GB filesystem).

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2018

@kidrock: I also purchased a VPS from UltraVPS on BK. I also was a bit surprised by how their VPSes are partitioned, but if you're not technically prepared to deal with this, then I would cancel.

@Falzo said: if I remember right, the initial setup with any ultravps vm installed from a template is that /dev/vda1 ist mounted as / and /dev/vdb1 is mounted as /home (directly)

At least on my VPS from UltraVPS, /dev/vdb1vdb was mounted directly as /mnt (after installing the template). [See my comment below.]

Falzo said: so whatever OP already tried more or less messed things up, because he lacks understanding for the difference between vdb vs vdb1 and so on.

I would have thought that it should be vdb1 (not vdb) for the OP (@kidrock) as well. It probably was /dev/vdb. [See my comment below.]

[Before trying to apply the strategy suggested below, it would be safest to create a partition on /dev/vdb. See my comment below.]

For a quick solution, what the OP could consider doing is to recursively copy (preserving permissions) /usr to /mnt (with the result /mnt/usr), then delete /usr (after keeping a copy for the initial test), and then create a symbolic link from /usr (on /dev/vda1) to /mnt/usr (on /dev/vdb1). In this way, new programs would be installed on /mnt/usr (on /dev/vdb1).

One could also consider an LVM solution, as @Falzo suggested, though for a simple setup such as this (two disk partitions, one 10 GB, the other 30 GB), I would tend to find it overkill. (Just my two cents. :smile:)

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2018

@angstrom said: At least on my VPS from UltraVPS, /dev/vdb1 was mounted directly as /mnt (after installing the template).

@Falzo said: so whatever OP already tried more or less messed things up, because he lacks understanding for the difference between vdb vs vdb1 and so on.

(angstrom said:) I would have thought that it should be vdb1 (not vdb) for the OP (@kidrock) as well.

Just to clarify, in my case, the mount point for the second disk was definitely /mnt, but perhaps the device was /dev/vdb (as opposed to /dev/vdb1).

I opted to do a custom install from an ISO, so I can't simply go into my VPS to check, but the mount point was definitely /mnt, which is consistent with the OP's (@kidrock's) setup.

The thing to note is that it would be safest to create a partition on /dev/vdb (to get /dev/vdb1) before applying the solution that I suggested above.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@kidrock said:
    Exactly. I just wanted a simple wish of using 30GB as my main filesystem to install programs on it instead of what's happening now

Why? People here are trying to explain that you can you use them BOTH just mounting vdb as /home or /usr. This is the best use of the partitions and not the way you're trying to achieve.

• Hey @kidrock did you find the solution?

Same happen to me and I made a manual installation of Ubuntu 18.04 and on the partition menu I choose manual and then just choose the bigger vdb as default VPS disk. So not using the vda.

Everyting now installs, runs and uses vdb as default. Working fine.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • @nqservices said:
    Hey @kidrock did you find the solution?

Some of the programs I am using are not working properly on Ubuntu 18.04 that's why I did not upgrade from 16.04.
    I just asked and got my refund.

Same happen to me and I made a manual installation of Ubuntu 18.04 and on the partition menu I choose manual and then just choose the bigger vdb as default VPS disk. So not using the vda.

Everyting now installs, runs and uses vdb as default. Working fine.

A simple solution that you were able to apply and use vdb as default. Anyway, I gained some experiences on which vps provider to not to use in future from the answers above. Lol

• Or you could just symlink a handful of osubdir of /home to the /mnt.