Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen 3000 Specs & Prices Leaked, Upto 16 Cores & 5.1GHz on AM4 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD Ryzen 3000 Specs & Prices Leaked, Upto 16 Cores & 5.1GHz on AM4

2»

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@steny said:
    It's almost 100% fake, AMD itself confirmed the current 7nm is not going as good as expected,so these 5.1Ghz clocks are unrealistic plus 16 core zen2 is also unlikely.

I also don't doubt the 5.x GHz story but the 16 core story looks credible to me. Keep in mind that they have multiple dies in a processor (4 fast dies w/4 cores each plus a slower IO die).

What I'm really missing (and find much more important than more GHz) is a clear statement regarding Spectre/Meltdown fixes in hardware and at least in firmware.

• jsg said: multiple dies in a processor

There are none of those under the plain Ryzen brand iirc. Only Threadripper and Epyc. Ryzen is the consumer line which puts some constraints on the package and motherboards. In particular I'd expect Ryzen 3xxx parts to fit in the sockets of the current Ryzens.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2018

AMD is expected to keep AM4 socket the main consumer line socket until 2020 at least, I read somewhere.

I fully expect LGA socket after then.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • No socket trolling from AMD.

• LGA775 for life!

Thanked by 1eol

Uhm ... some here might want to compare the size of a die and of a processor...

• @jsg said:
    Uhm ... some here might want to compare the size of a die and of a processor...

You're one of those "It's not the size" guys, huh?

Thanked by 1eol
  • @deank said:
    AMD is expected to keep AM4 socket the main consumer line socket until 2020 at least, I read somewhere.

I fully expect LGA socket after then.

Much better than releasing a new one each small iteration like Intel

When they released their 2 core/4 threads Pentium to complete with AMD's Ryzen 3, on the paper it looked fine, but then you look at mobo prices and instantly regret of thinking about that Pentium as even an option.
    At the time they only had their "Z" mobos, so... $100+ for a $70ish CPU.

• vintervinter Member
    edited December 2018

If they actually drop a 5.1Ghz 16core i would upgrade from my 7700k in a heartbeat, thats actually a insane jump no matter the pricepoint or segment.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2018

The current 2nd gen Threadripper 2950X is 16 core, 4.4 ghz max boost, 3.5 ghz base, so a 3rd gen model in 7nm with 5.1ghz max boost is reasonably plausible. I don't believe it would be $500 though. I wonder how it would compare to the 20 core dual E5-2680v2's that show up fairly inexpensively on LET right now.

I certainly don't have any desire for a home PC that fast, given that it would have to be a large desktop box (I only use a laptop at home right now). There aren't even that many really convincing use cases for huge cpus in servers: for virtualization they might have a slight economic advantage compared to multiple smaller machines, but they do basically the same thing. And for typical compute-intensive stuff you're again probably better off looking for horizontally scalable approaches. There are a few situations like highly concurrent databases where you do need big iron, but most of us LET users don't deal with those.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • Infinity fabric.

@desperand said:
    Infinity fabric.

... tying together the dies ...

Yes, that's something AMD has done very well.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@MikePT said:
    AMD is allegedly preparing 10 new unbelievable Ryzen 3000 series CPUs, including a 16 core with a mind-boggling 5.1GHz clock speed. More than a month away from CES and just when we least expect it a nuclear bomb of a leak drops on us courtesy of venerable youtuber AdoredTV who has shared a treasure trove of details regarding AMD’s upcoming Zen 2 based Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.

Source

Let's hope this is not just rumors.

Specially...

Ryzen 9 3850X 16/32 4.3GHz 5.1GHz 135W $499 May 2019

What a beast.

I am still waiting on a CPU with 100 core and 10.1 GHz clock speed on my smart watch (very very smart, indeed).

Thanked by 2MikePT inklight
  • By that time those would probably be implants.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @eol said:
    By that time those would probably be implants.

Intel inside

Thanked by 1eol
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

AMD just needs to calm down, I've built way more Ryzen PCs in the past year than I really need and now I'm probably going to build at least 3 more when Ryzen 3 comes out. :(

Hopefully I can find a buyer for my 1700s and 2400G. :lol:

• 1700 and 2400G are nice boxes. I'd possibly be interested in one if you were willing to host it in a DC at reasonable cost. Any chance?

• yongsiklee said: I am still waiting on a CPU with 100 core and 10.1 GHz clock speed on my smart watch (very very smart, indeed).

to it's becomes i Watch