Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[KIMSUFI] Flash sale KS-7 (i3) on FR/CA Datacenter - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[KIMSUFI] Flash sale KS-7 (i3) on FR/CA Datacenter

Comments

• @ariq01 said:
    See http://status.ovh.com/vms/index_rbx4.html, my dedi's (54D20) color is blue = offline.

I see.

Also, blue for an offline server? Which genius thought the use of blue color for a server with technical difficulties was fine? Shouldn’t it be red or at least orange or something?

Best luck contacting them through official support channels though.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @rm_ said:

EHRA said: they could increase the connection by limiting traffic

Did you ask every customer if they would be OK to have their traffic limited? I would not, even for the Gigabit upgrade.

They could easily let the customer choose between 100MBit/s unmetered or 1G incl. xxTB.

But it seems they go for 1000/100 anyways. Better than nothing.

Thanked by 3mfs datanoise Xei
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@PINGAPAC said:
    Also, blue for an offline server? Which genius thought the use of blue color for a server with technical difficulties was fine? Shouldn’t it be red or at least orange or something?

Hint: Certain technical drawings might have some kind of legend explaining symbols and colors... (green = all servers in a rack are online, blue = 1+ server down, red = 10+ servers down)

Thanked by 2mfs ariq01
  • The color scheme is certainly following the same for the weather map : http://weathermap.ovh.net/

• eoleol Member
    edited November 2018

@Hukin said:
    What exactly advantages with Kimsufi instead others?

Only one harddrive for the most part, slow connection (100mbit), slow support.
    False claims of hardware specs.
    For example the Xeon W3520 only supports DDR3-1066, but on their page listed as 1333.

EDIT:

Setup fee, ...

Thanked by 1Xei
  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@Harambe said:
    Received the advertised spec in BHS, no free upgrades this time around. Got a brand new hard drive out of the deal though.

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2

Mine got 9993 hours :-(

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 9993

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@yongsiklee said:
    Mine got 9993 hours :-(

10k hours isn't bad at all, only slightly over a year of use. That's fresh enough that I'd just consider it a super extended burn-in period.

Issue is when you get one that has been spinning for 5+ years and you know it's close to death.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • ninzo59 said: To come back on the main topic here, the flash sale, it will end at 3 PM today

Darn, was too sleepy last night, missed it today. Oh well. I'm better off without another server anyway ;)

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • Harambe said: That's fresh enough that I'd just consider it a super extended burn-in period.

Agree, 1 year is good because you know it ran that long without problem. If it is a new one, you are the one who is testing it.

• ovh and their shenanigans. I gave up on them when they keep forcing me to buy in my region!?!.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

servers KS-7
    $17.99
    $10.99

• € 11.99 setup fee

Prices valid for the duration of the contract!

Does this mean they can increase price after the contract, like after a month (since the contract is month-to-month)?

• @yongsiklee said:
    servers KS-7
    $17.99
    $10.99

• € 11.99 setup fee

Does this mean they can increase price after the contract, like after a month (since the contract is month-to-month)?

No, it's recurring. But they can, they increased prices by 1 EUR/month for Kimsufi last year.

• @Doutei said:

@yongsiklee said:
    servers KS-7
    $17.99
    $10.99

• € 11.99 setup fee

No, it's recurring. But they can, they increased prices by 1 EUR/month for Kimsufi last year.

Recurring means the price stay the same month to month. What is their ground for increasing price when they can?

• that $1 increment was for DDoS protection and was system wide whether it is €4 server or €24 and I think that was happen after few years? flash sale is recurring for life until you keep server or cancel it.

Thanked by 1raynor
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

samm said: was for DDoS protection

This is just a complete bullshit excuse. And they use the same one multiple times by now. Yes, they increased prices not just in 2017, but also a few years before that, and back then it was also "for DDoS protection".

• @rm_ said:

samm said: was for DDoS protection

This is just a complete bullshit excuse. And they use the same one multiple times by now. Yes, they increased prices not just in 2017, but also a few years before that, and back then it was also "for DDoS protection".

Mid-contract?

eol said: Mid-contract?

Yes.

2013: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/11442/ovh-eu-ddos-mitigation

This price increase for all existing and future servers will allow us to continue to invest and improve the infrastructure so that we can handle new attacks. Prices will increase from September 1st 2013 for all existing servers.

2017: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126143/ovh-increased-cost-for-antiddos-again

The price change is for new customers but also existing customers. For new customers, we will change the prices on the website within 2 weeks. For customers existing, we will send in the coming days an email to all customers, for a price change will apply from the first day of December (2017).

Thanked by 1eol
  • @rm_ said:

eol said: Mid-contract?

Yes.

"Ok. Thanks. Bye."

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited November 2018

@dongne said:
    Recurring means the price stay the same month to month. What is their ground for increasing price when they can?

Recurring has nothing to do with fixed price. Recurring means "if we don't change it explicitly, then you enjoy the same low price."

Which means they can change the price anytime if they explicitly want to.

And they did before.

Think about your apartment rent. If it's month-to-month, then the recurring rental could be changed at the end of a contract, which is at the end of any month.

• The otherway to see things is that, what is recuring is the "discount".

• @SteveMC said:
    The otherway to see things is that, what is recuring is the "discount".

As I see it the price increase is recurring.

• It's hard to go wrong with this special, except by missing it. I hope they repeat it again soon. It's about the same as what I'm paying for my KS-3 (formerly KS-2E) which is the same 2TB disk with an Atom N2800 cpu. So I could drop the Atom and get something with a real cpu without paying any more. I could also maybe switch my i5-3570 which is $17/m so I'd save $8 a month in exchange for a 40% slowdown. I do use the i5 cpu sometime but have another machine that is faster, so can live without it.

• Just like @willie , I'm almost ready to ditch my Flash sale KS-3C in favour of this one, saving a few bucks a month, for a marginal performance drop (for my use case).
    Just a pity KS network speed is crap compared to my SYS Atom. :-|

• Anyone want to sell a cadana ks-7?
    I bought two of them and one in France by mistake. I wanted to cluster with three of the servers in the same network.

• Dang that would have been a sweet deal.

• I have one invoice for canada ks-7

• @willie @AlwaysSkint selling my KS-7 with Nextcloud just installed on it. PM for details.

• @hawkjohn7 said:
    I have one invoice for canada ks-7

Could you sell it for me?

• AlwaysSkint said: I'm almost ready to ditch my Flash sale KS-3C

This server is almost(?) identical to the KS-3C and is the same price as the past few KS-3C flash sales, I thought?

@aka455 I don't know if these can be transferred, and also I don't use paypal, so would have to find some other way to pay you. Anyway it's no big deal, they repeat these sales now and then so I can catch the next one. Or I can try to snag a SYS server. The 100mbps port is really the most annoying limitation of the KS servers.

edited December 2018

Would anyone want to rent a KS-10 specced server from me? About a third cheaper than direct from OVH. But needs to be a trusted LET member.