Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acceptable response time to a help ticket
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Acceptable response time to a help ticket

Hi,

Quick question: how much do you consider acceptable time to respond to the request of mounting an ISO?

I'm waiting for my provider for 48+ hours without a response. This made me wondering if being mad is yet ok, or I should calm the f.. down and wait more?

Why am I asking? I've been using many providers and got used to requests being handled within 24 hours (well, usually it's like 2-3 hours). I understand that with some providers having huge sales this weekend and might be overloaded — but is it acceptable to have support requests being without response for such a long time?

Thanks.

Expected response time
  1. less than 12 hours70 votes
    1. less than 24 hours
      61.43%
    2. less than 48 hours
      21.43%
    3. more than 48 hours, but less than a week
        7.14%
    4. more than a week
        4.29%
    5. never
        5.71%

Comments

• I expect ISOs to be mounted within 7 minutes.

• Get mad and break something.

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

For non critical issues, I consider that 24 hours (business hours) is fine. The sooner the better.

For critical issue,(hardware, network, things which are not really controlled by the client), this should be within the hour, or two. day and night.

So in your case, 48 hours seems long, but this was a week-end, with Thanksgiving last week.

• Depends on your budget.

Thanked by 1portspeed
  • @eol said:
    Depends on your budget.

Good luck with your depends.

Thanked by 4eol Falzo uptime MrPsycho
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

7 days is acceptable in LET budget market.

Thanked by 1eol
  • I'd say within a day should be reasonable if you are on a budget server

• ASAP no rocky.

• qba82qba82 Member, Patron Provider

For free service, less then a week :wink:

• XeiXei Member
    edited November 2018

You should accept no more than a 30 minute wait time for your $4/year OVZ. Time to lawyer up.

Thanked by 2eol MrH
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited November 2018

@vasechka said:
    Hi,

Quick question: how much do you consider acceptable time to respond to the request of mounting an ISO?

I'm waiting for my provider for 48+ hours without a response. This made me wondering if being mad is yet ok, or I should calm the f.. down and wait more?

Why am I asking? I've been using many providers and got used to requests being handled within 24 hours (well, usually it's like 2-3 hours). I understand that with some providers having huge sales this weekend and might be overloaded — but is it acceptable to have support requests being without response for such a long time?

Thanks.

It is black friday, the biggest sales period of the year.

You are requesting the mounting of a custom ISO.

I would give them at minimum 10 days... if you can't be patient hit the cancel button and you'll make a favor to the provider.

• h2oh2o Member
    edited November 2018

Formula: N < 100 / P * 24

[response time N(h) < lowend-constant (100) / price P ($/yr) * 24]

:blush: just cook up

• It depend what custom ISO request you have. But your provider should respond.

• @h2o said:
    Formula: N < 100 / P * 24

[response time N(h) < lowend-constant (100) / price P ($/yr) * 24]

:blush: just cook up

Um that notation just gave me a seizure

• I expect a reply one hour before I think about filling a ticket.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited November 2018

@Kwoon said:
    I expect a reply one hour before I think about filling a ticket.

I actually expect to pay $5/year for my service and I expect for the hosting provider to call me every day at 8am and ask me how they can help me today.

In addition each time my service experiences 1 second of downtime I expect for the Management to call me and apologize and give me a $100 credit for the downtime.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited November 2018

I'd usually say within a day or possibly the morning after ticket submission but too many variables. Depends on your provider, service, their ticket queue, as you say with BF there may well be dozens of customers asking them the same thing.

From past threads people bumping tickets won't help but maybe if your provider has a discord or a discussion forum you could gather other customers experience.

• really depends on what is included with your service, if they advertise as fully managed support included then you should expect less than an hour. Going dirt cheap won't get you the best service.
    That long of a wait is still strange though, not even a "we're a little tied up but will get to your request as soon as we can" reply. Just that can put some people at ease on the wait. And don't keep replying to your ticket asking what the holdup is, that just pushes your ticket further down the queue

• jhjh Member

Depends what you're paying, if it's a managed service and if it was the weekend etc.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

This is a topic that will have a lot of opinions and none of them are necessarily wrong.

Mine is that if a company cant respond within 24 hours for something that actually impedes your progress and you cannot 'self service', they are a pile of shit and you should be looking for another host.

I don't hold the same opinion for billing/account related issues, but generally i cant see why a company cant respond to any ticket in less than 24 hours, 7 days a week excluding holiday periods.

Thanked by 1eol

7 days response time is fine. No matter what a host promises, shit can happen and delay can and will happen no matter which company you are with.

Thanked by 2CConner MrH
  • I would expect some sort of response whether that be a resolution or an update of some sort within 24 hours. Shit can and will inevitably happen at some point but even just a "we're working on it" is generally enough.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Anthony's second paragraph said it far better than I could...

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

If it's low end, I guess a day is acceptable. If it a production server, I'm expecting with-in a few hours maximum.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • For an LE provider, I'd expect 24-48 hours. Pay peanuts, get peanuts. The exception goes for large scale providers that have lower pricing, I'd expect at minimum, 24 hours. I can't be expected to be #1 priority, but at least keep communicative during the process.

• A year.

/thread

Thanked by 1eol

666 days.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2018

@daxterfellowes said:
    For an LE provider, I'd expect 24-48 hours. Pay peanuts, get peanuts. The exception goes for large scale providers that have lower pricing, I'd expect at minimum, 24 hours. I can't be expected to be #1 priority, but at least keep communicative during the process.

agree above, but some people do pay peanuts and expecting too much.

A common trend (problem) I see is that they consider weekends as business days.

So, files a (billing) ticket late at Friday and goes PMS on Sunday.

Dies white ash on Monday.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • 1 week during Black Friday period.