Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Black Friday deals! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Black Friday deals!

Comments

• @jar said:

gks said: Does mxroute provide autossl free, sorry I am asking because, I used some webhosting before, they provided ssl themselves?

Yes, AutoSSL with LetsEncrypt is running on all servers :)

Thank you jar.

• jar said: Not sure if any of you saw this, but there's a few left:

Is the sending limit more than 60/hour, like the old FIVE plan had.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@aaraya1516 said:

jar said: Not sure if any of you saw this, but there's a few left:

Is the sending limit more than 60/hour, like the old FIVE plan had.

300 per hour soft limit, which is actually what I’m using as a standard for all accounts across the board (exceptions are made).

Thanked by 1aaraya1516
  • @angstrom said:

@jar said:
    Not sure if any of you saw this, but there's a few left:

https://blog.mxroute.com/2018/11/lifetime-promo

I know LET members hate the "lifetime" word but it's clear in scope and it's no different than the small free plans I used to offer. Acceptable losses over time made up by volume :)

If you want to make a really bold offer, tell us that one can pass this plan on to one's child, and the child can pass it on to his/her child, and so on. :smile:

You actually can. You just give your child the login details. @jar is a family man, and I am sure he understands the importance of family and sharing everything within family.

On the other hand, @deank already informed us about the prophecy of a coming end, while some global politics already think about a huge war for various reasons (economics, nuclear arming, viruses, religious differences, global warming and pollution, overpopulated areas or countries).

So... what is lifetime when we don't know what is life?

Thanked by 1jar
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 2eol vimalware
  • @default @angstrom @jar

Sure, that sounds great, but unless your kid is named Oedipus, do you really want your kids getting mom's n00dz as part of their inheritance?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @user123 said:
    @default @angstrom @jar

Sure, that sounds great, but unless your kid is named Oedipus, do you really want your kids getting mom's n00dz as part of their inheritance?

Kids' gotta learn what he's into one way or another..

• @default said:

@angstrom said:

@jar said:
    Not sure if any of you saw this, but there's a few left:

https://blog.mxroute.com/2018/11/lifetime-promo

I know LET members hate the "lifetime" word but it's clear in scope and it's no different than the small free plans I used to offer. Acceptable losses over time made up by volume :)

If you want to make a really bold offer, tell us that one can pass this plan on to one's child, and the child can pass it on to his/her child, and so on. :smile:

You actually can. You just give your child the login details.

Yes, okay, but then you've broken their ToS, I'm pretty sure. :smile: Also, how can your child change the name of the account once you're gone?

@jar is a family man, and I am sure he understands the importance of family and sharing everything within family.

I wonder whether that extends to ownership of an mxroute account. :smile:

On the other hand, @deank already informed us about the prophecy of a coming end,

My idea/proposal is that an mxroute account (for a one-time $100) is passed down from generation to generation in the family tree until the end of the world. :smile:

It would be kind of cool for later generations to be able to read their ancestors' emails. On second thought, maybe not! :sweat_smile:

• @eDigital said:

@souen said:
    Also not easy to find 100 GB for $15/year.

its just $10/year for 100Gb if you pre-paid triennially.

Yeah, I just took the $15/year as ballpark because some people prefer not to pay longer than a year in advance. A good deal either way.

• @angstrom said:
    My idea/proposal is that an mxroute account (for a one-time $100) is passed down from generation to generation in the family tree until the end of the world. :smile:

It would be kind of cool for later generations to be able to read their ancestors' emails. On second thought, maybe not! :sweat_smile:

That idea is great. We see our past generations history from different objects or writing left to us. Our future generations could read our emails and communications, to understand what we thought while learning from our successes and mistakes.

We can understand time and generations, but we can not understand uncertainty of lifetime (present and future) because we do not know what is life, to cherish it or even self-destruct it.

• @jar said:

@Nekki said:
    B> @jar said:

@Nekki said:
    V> @jar said:

@Nekki said:

@jar said:

@Nekki said:
    Are the UK plans now also in Germany?

London server will stay there indefinitely.

I ask because the IP for Ocean resolves to Hetzner, but I thought I had UK-based plans.

Ocean was formerly in Dallas, but it was among the first moved to hetzner in response to the metadedi thing

I have no idea what happened then. I thought I bought the specific London plans. Never got round to setting them up, so never noticed until now they weren’t in the UK.

Let me know if you’d rather be on London, since you never set it up then it’s just a terminate/create button game.

I would prefer that, but only if it’s a reasonable ask at the price I’m paying for the 2 plans.

Ping me on helpscout. It’s the blue circle on the bottom right corner of the site, looks like a chat but it’s my new ticket system :)

Thanks for getting me switched over to London, much appreciated.

To be clear, you can absolutely pass your lifetime subscription on to your grandchildren ;)

...as long as there exists an MXroute to power it. He who comes after me will pay the price of entry to hell for revoking promised service. But the great part is that over time the value of each service diminishes due to the ever decreasing cost of infrastructure around the world. Loyalty... now that’s something you can’t put a price tag on.

Thanked by 4eol user123 angstrom Trav
  • @gks said:

@jar said:

gks said: We would like to do cname mapping to your domain, so that our team shall sign in mail.ourdomain.com, that redirect/forward to your domain, we don't like to deal with port number for web mails

A DNS record can't hide a port, but there is a way to get webmail on port 443 for your domain, here's a quick example using CloudFlare:

https://mxroute.helpscoutdocs.com/article/42-how-so-i-use-custom-hostnames-for-smtp-imap-pop-and-webmail

Does mxroute provide autossl free, sorry I am asking because, I used some webhosting before, they provided ssl themselves?

@jar,

Confirming autossl works, my subdomain points to the webmail with https, with SSL works really great.

1. Can I also use my custom domain mail.example.com (which points to friday.mxxxxx.com) for SMTP, IMAP and POP3? Do I need special configuration?

2. What is the best way to plan failover when there is a problem in inbound mails? Should I buy another cheap account (5 USD) from you on other server (and forward all mails to one mail id?

3. Is there any provision for backup all mails?

@gks said:

@gks said:

@jar said:

gks said: We would like to do cname mapping to your domain, so that our team shall sign in mail.ourdomain.com, that redirect/forward to your domain, we don't like to deal with port number for web mails

A DNS record can't hide a port, but there is a way to get webmail on port 443 for your domain, here's a quick example using CloudFlare:

https://mxroute.helpscoutdocs.com/article/42-how-so-i-use-custom-hostnames-for-smtp-imap-pop-and-webmail

Does mxroute provide autossl free, sorry I am asking because, I used some webhosting before, they provided ssl themselves?

@jar,

Confirming autossl works, my subdomain points to the webmail with https, with SSL works really great.

1. Can I also use my custom domain mail.example.com (which points to friday.mxxxxx.com) for SMTP, IMAP and POP3? Do I need special configuration?

2. What is the best way to plan failover when there is a problem in inbound mails? Should I buy another cheap account (5 USD) from you on other server (and forward all mails to one mail id?

Happy to answer :)

1. Yes, the mail. sub domain will be for this.

2. A sending server has the duty of holding an email to retry delivery later if for some reason they cannot reach us. This is a very respected standard, so you can trust in it.

3. I perform backups in case of data loss.

• Sorry if it is already obvious but these plans are recurring right!?

• jar said: Yes, the mail. sub domain will be for this.

That needs a DNS setup, right?

mail.mydomain.com <- CNAME -> friday.mxxxxx.com

@alilet said:
    Sorry if it is already obvious but these plans are recurring right!?

Yup, not a big fan of otherwise :)

@greattomeetyou said:

jar said: Yes, the mail. sub domain will be for this.

That needs a DNS setup, right?

mail.mydomain.com <- CNAME -> friday.mxxxxx.com

That should do it.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @jar said:

@gks said:

@gks said:

@jar said:

@jar,

Happy to answer :)

1. Yes, the mail. sub domain will be for this.

2. A sending server has the duty of holding an email to retry delivery later if for some reason they cannot reach us. This is a very respected standard, so you can trust in it.

3. I perform backups in case of data loss.

Thanks again. If we send mail via outlook/email client, then the responsibilities is part of email client then, right? Outlook prompt an error, then user may retry or outlook may retry its own. Seems fair setup.

Anyway to see emails sent through outlook in the web mail sent box?

Thank you so much for fast reply and helping with setup.

• Hi Jar.

Is it possible to change the primary domain associated with an account?

gks said: Thanks again. If we send mail via outlook/email client, then the responsibilities is part of email client then, right? Outlook prompt an error, then user may retry or outlook may retry its own. Seems fair setup.

If our server is down and you try to send a mail through it, you'll get an error. However, if someone sends an email to you (or you send an email to yourself from another email service) and our server is down, that other service will retry delivery again (with some pause in between each retry). Hope that makes sense.

gks said: Anyway to see emails sent through outlook in the web mail sent box?

This is actually something done by the email client over the IMAP protocol. Most email clients should have no trouble doing this out of the box, but if yours is not doing it then you might look for an IMAP prefix setting, and see if it helps by putting "INBOX" in as that setting.

CyberMonday said: Is it possible to change the primary domain associated with an account?

Yes but with some considerations beforehand: https://mxroute.helpscoutdocs.com/article/46-can-i-change-my-primary-domain

Thanked by 2gks CyberMonday
  • Hi all, hi @jar
    I've signed up for the 100GB / 3yr deal, wanted to try mxroute cos have read here a lot of good feedback, but to be honest I'm a bit disappointed. I understand your business model, ok it's cheap and you 're a budget provider - but spam is killing me. Since I've transferred a testdomain with a mailadress to check your service I'm getting since my sign-up ( around 2 days ) 60 spam mails into my inbox. I've read in your FAQ your are not doing refund, but using your service is useless. Your are not google in terms of spam-fighting, ok I understand. But 30 spammails a day? Hosting my own solutions with ISPconfig ( also at hetzen ) was much less problematic, sure I was getting a spam mail a day or 2, but 30 or more is......
    Also as I see are not running a HA or cloud solutions... all hosts are single instances, right?

thank you
    regards

• ilBarista said: Since I've transferred a testdomain with a mailadress to check your service I'm getting since my sign-up ( around 2 days ) 60 spam mails into my inbox.

Oh dear. I don't think that has anything to do with MXRoute. You are receiving spam because your e-mail was listed somewhere. You should generally avoid posting your e-mail address on the internet, unless you want that email to be scraped by the spammers.

ilBarista said: Hosting my own solutions with ISPconfig ( also at hetzen ) was much less problematic

Neither Hetzner, nor ISPconfig has to do anything with it. I suppose you were receiving less spam, because the spam filter in ISPconfig was set to be more aggressive. From what I can see Jarland is using SpamAssasin which comes with cPanel and there is nothing bad with that. SpamAssasin is a fairly good spam filter. I bet ISPconfig is also using SpamAssasin. Best thing you can do is to go to MXRoute's cPanel and adjust the spam threshold score (Spam Filters --> Spam Threshold Score). Enabling "Move New Spam to a Separate Folder (Spam Box)" migh be also a good idea.

Thanked by 1gks
  • @MrPsycho said:

ilBarista said: Since I've transferred a testdomain with a mailadress to check your service I'm getting since my sign-up ( around 2 days ) 60 spam mails into my inbox.

Oh dear. I don't think that has anything to do with MXRoute. You are receiving spam because your e-mail was listed somewhere. You should generally avoid posting your e-mail address on the internet, unless you want that email to be scraped by the spammers.

ilBarista said: Hosting my own solutions with ISPconfig ( also at hetzen ) was much less problematic

Neither Hetzner, nor ISPconfig has to do anything with it. I suppose you were receiving less spam, because the spam filter in ISPconfig was set to be more aggressive. From what I can see Jarland is using SpamAssasin which comes with cPanel and there is nothing bad with that. SpamAssasin is a fairly good spam filter. I bet ISPconfig is also using SpamAssasin. Best thing you can do is to go to MXRoute's cPanel and adjust the spam threshold score (Spam Filters --> Spam Threshold Score). Enabling "Move New Spam to a Separate Folder (Spam Box)" migh be also a good idea.

Thank you for hint, I configured my Spam filter, Enabled Move new Spam to a Separate Folder option, left the score to default (5) as it is.

• Can you offer a dedicated server?

edited November 2018

@ilBarista said:
    Hi all, hi @jar
    I've signed up for the 100GB / 3yr deal, wanted to try mxroute cos have read here a lot of good feedback, but to be honest I'm a bit disappointed. I understand your business model, ok it's cheap and you 're a budget provider - but spam is killing me. Since I've transferred a testdomain with a mailadress to check your service I'm getting since my sign-up ( around 2 days ) 60 spam mails into my inbox. I've read in your FAQ your are not doing refund, but using your service is useless. Your are not google in terms of spam-fighting, ok I understand. But 30 spammails a day? Hosting my own solutions with ISPconfig ( also at hetzen ) was much less problematic, sure I was getting a spam mail a day or 2, but 30 or more is......

thank you
    regards

My customers asked to receive more email and be able to make the filters more heavy handed by their own choice. Even still, one customer a month is cursing at me for not allowing 100% of email in. I hear you but this is something I have to mentally check out on or I’ll let people pull me in two directions until I lose my sanity. However, you have full control of this with the spam filter configuration in cpanel. Feel free to reach out through support channels if you need help adjusting.

Also as I see are not running a HA or cloud solutions... all hosts are single instances, right?

Let me worry about uptime for you, and I think you'll be impressed. HA is not the perfect beast that it's made out to be in bedtime stories, it's a pipedream that adds single points of failure and twice the cost for nearly zero actual real world benefit for almost all actual use cases. Compare your HA instances to single servers on uptime over a 5 year span and you will not find 2x cost justification on one of the two. I've always taken pride in doing the most with less, not doing less for more.

Thanked by 1user123
  • exceedexceed Member
    edited November 2018

@jar glad we had a chance to help you out during the Pre-Black Friday offer!

"During that preparation, I'd like to fill up a couple of servers, and I was wondering if you'd help me out. "

However, it seems quite unfair the ones who helped out miss out on the actual offer :disappointed:

I'm will to pay the extra $20 for this 3 year if you could move me to the same plan, old or new server is fine since I haven't yet started using the original plan.

Hope you can work this out, cheers.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @MrPsycho said:

ilBarista said: Since I've transferred a testdomain with a mailadress to check your service I'm getting since my sign-up ( around 2 days ) 60 spam mails into my inbox.

This is true, and horseshit at the same time. I've got my personal address (plucked by Spamford Wallace, himself) on the internet over 20 years ago.

Using some bayesian filters on another provider, and training Thunderbird for about a year, I now get less than 20 messages of spam in the inbox per day, and the rest are generally safe to completely ignore. I'd end up with about a quarter-gig of mail a day if I didn't heavily pre-prune and autofilter (Can't wait for Monday).

I realize that Jar's service is a bit weaker than some (as far as tunability), but it's also up to the person to make it work for the,.

exceed said: Hope you can work this out, cheers.

I cannot show any signs of weakness on this here or I will be flooded.

CyberMonday said: Using some bayesian filters on another provider, and training Thunderbird for about a year, I now get less than 20 messages of spam in the inbox per day, and the rest are generally safe to completely ignore. I'd end up with about a quarter-gig of mail a day if I didn't heavily pre-prune and autofilter (Can't wait for Monday).

I never really figured out why some people receive more spam than others, when the playing field is level. These have always been my most valued assumptions:

1. One has been more successful in receiving spam over time, therefore their address remains distributed on more lists.

2. Their email address is more easily generated by an algorithm.

It's an observable thing that it occurs, but it's reasons are obviously not so easy to find.

• @jar said:
    1. One has been more successful in receiving spam over time, therefore their address remains distributed on more lists.

1. Their email address is more easily generated by an algorithm.

It's an observable thing that it occurs, but it's reasons are obviously not so easy to find.

This one is pretty easy. I put it on the internet myself, back when it wasn't a cesspit.

• couldn't resist ! thanks Jar

Thanked by 1jar