Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually want 64mb plans? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do people actually want 64mb plans?

Comments

• nginx ftw

• @djvdorp said: -nginx- ftw

lighty ftw! ;-)

• I did a few years ago.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

thttpd is from The Old Days when everything dynamic was meant to be run via CGI, from a directory like cgi-bin.

Getting it to try to parse PHP files, or anything else that doesn't have a #! as line 1 is... difficult.. to put it nicely.

• @Damian said: thttpd is from The Old Days when everything dynamic was meant to be run via CGI, from a directory like cgi-bin.

Back in those days I used it to serve my bash-scripts making my sites dynamic. ;-)

• @nabo really? cool, I must test that

• @birdie25 said: HA, switched apache to nginx, reduced my swap!

Now, restart each of your running services. After each restart check swap usage with 'free' until you identify which service is actually being swapped out (you'll see swap usage drop sharply when you hit the swapped-out service).

That service is probably 'over-allocated' -- meaning, you've probably assigned it more memory resources than it typically uses. So reconfigure it to use slightly less memory.

Then, to reduce Linux's propensity to swap, set swappiness=10

IMO a low swappiness value is more suited to a server environment, a higher value for a desktop environment. The default is 60, the range is 0-100. You can set swappiness=0 and Linux will still swap if it has to. Swappiness=0 doesn't mean 'disable swap', it just says "I'd really prefer not to".

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

@Amfy said: What's about, that potential customers for the 64mb-plan must answer some linux / unix questions?
    @AnthonySmith said: @Amfy again I like the idea but the problem with that is the human element+google they will just lie I expect :p

I wouldn't lie but also wouldn't even try it then. While I don't mind to contribute here with my findings regarding service I mainly rent service to use it not to be part of some kindergarden show.
    Too much fuss around all this now. I use some VPSs with 64mb memory (like old datarealm package and old XenVZ special deal) without any issue 4 years or so and this one is just one more. I am not free beta tester, I am not free experimental user. I am client.

/little rant off :P

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited February 2012

@AnthonySmith: I'd suggest that you:

• Disable automatic provisioning for this plan and advertise that it is setup manually within 48 hour if stock is available.
    • Require an "intended use" statement from the client. If that statement is in any way out of wack, send a notification that it's currently unavailable. You have the right to refuse clients :)

I think these things would at least reduce abuse. A genuine client who'd like a 64mb Xen plan for a suitable reason won't mind waiting a day or two.

I'd love one for a slave nsd nameserver but I guess I missed the boat :)

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

OK I will be releasing the last batch of 10 or so of these tomorrow morning and that will be the last of them for a while.

All good suggestions but the thing that sticks out is spirits post, bottom line is these are for customers not as an experiment, so if all is well and good there are no issues, if people sign up and abuse the package they will be suspended like anyone else, probably the best way to do things.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @AnthonySmith said: OK I will be releasing the last batch of 10 or so of these tomorrow morning and that will be the last of them for a while.

Well I guess I will have to be up rather early then :)

Well anyone that drops me a PM will be put in the queue for them so you dont need to be up that early :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

are they in the US?

• @netomx said: are they in the US?

No, Netherlands.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Our 64 MB plans are our best sellers... might have to change how we offer them.

• @AnthonySmith said: Well anyone that drops me a PM will be put in the queue for them so you dont need to be up that early :)

Thanks for that

@BlueVM not sure what you mean by that?

Also as you are obviously VERY short of IP's I am surprised you offer a plan so cheap on monthly payments, $1.50 - processing fee's is going to be about $1.13 left over then your IP cost, license costs % can only leave you with around 0.60c actual profit at best to you for your servers, even with Volume drive that going to be hard.

I suggest to avoid getting dipped in the deadpool you at least take quarterly payments on that plan.

STOCK ADDED

• @AnthonySmith said:

STOCK ADDED

Hmm, it seems to be hidden somewhere, because I don't see it anywhere.

Fixed :)

I Suppose at this stage I might as well just give out the link: https://inceptionhosting.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=49

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @AnthonySmith you are giving this url out public, because there are 5 vps left and it weren't ordered out until an hour? :P :P

@Amfy, Sorry I have no idea what your saying, what you have written is half a statement and half a question :p

I am giving the link out because so many people have emailed and PM'ed asking for the link if that is what your asking? I never expected them to sell out in a hour I don't mind if they don't sell out for 3 months either :)

• It sounds like a nice idea - especially for dns etc. as people have mentioned, it would also be very nice for running a basic process such as znc (irc bouncer)

already got one of your 256mb boxes from a previous LEB offer which I am happy with so won't try this but nice to see you offering it

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited February 2012

Running WordPress on it:

free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 58 56 1 0 1 28
    -/+ buffers/cache: 27 31
    Swap: 63 0 63

But I must set echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Sold out...

• I must be to US centric as I can't seem to figure out how to enter my cell number in a way where I get that fraud check message. Sent in a ticket

One observation on swap. Just using it is not the issue. It's when stuff is continually swapped in and out. That's what thrashes the disk.

@cleonard, its being blocked because your ordering via your BuyVM VPS, drop off your proxy/VPN/Remote X session and maxmind should let you go through.

Anthony.

@Amfy I have added 5 more, sadly WHMCS takes 1 off the stock even for failed/fraud orders, I have added some back in the stock.