Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Block Storage Slabs! $1.25/mo for 256GB! $5.00/mo for 1TB! CN2 GIA also available! - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Block Storage Slabs! $1.25/mo for 256GB! $5.00/mo for 1TB! CN2 GIA also available!

123457»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ferri said:

spammy said: I don't think BuyVM is DMCA-friendly

If @fransisco can set up in LUX, then they are DMCA friendly

It'll be next year, likely at the same time as NY.

LU requires other things to complete first before I can slap in storage. Me not being able to take a quick flight makes it a planning headache :(

Francisco

Thanked by 1ferri
  • sinsin Member
    edited December 2018

@spammy said:
    Just curious, what have people been using this storage for? I mean it is more expensive than most of the backup servers (in LE* standard) so clearly a waste of money if you are just looking to backup your photos, etc. Large databases (that are being used heavily) might be one of the application but let's be honest, how many of us really have crazy 5TB DBs set up at home?

I don't think BuyVM is DMCA-friendly so I would assume movies/p0rns won't go a long way there too...

Not trying to troll, genuinely curious....

P.S., very nice new website @Francisco, still blue but looks a lot "modern" now :)

I haven't put my slabs to use yet as I'm waiting for the FreeBSD 12 release (so I can request the ISO to be added in BuyVM) in the next few days before I start setting up my main server but here's what I will be using them for:

Since I run FreeBSD I use zfs-on-root for my main disk and then I have 2x 256GB slabs that I will create a zpool mirror with.

I run a lot of adult sites and while they don't take up much space (mostly images with some videos thrown in) they use Wordpress and I can store my databases and websites files all on the buyvm slab zpool mirror. I was originally just going to use 1x 256GB slab but since they were so cheap I figured I might as well make the zpool a mirror for some redundancy and extra read speed. I use all affiliate/sponsor provided promo material that I have permission to use so I never have to worry about DMCAs or any of that stuff.

While I'm waiting on the FreeBSD 12 release I've been testing the slabs and man are they FAST! I mean the performance is simply fantastic and the space you get for the cheap pricing you pay? It's just an amazing deal. I only wish they were available in NY as I usually go for the East Coast but so far I've been impressed with BuyVM's LV location.

Thanked by 2Francisco spammy
  • @Francisco said:

I've seen some nextcloud's, Linux ISO's obviously, plex/media servers, etc.

Francisco

IOW, you can view all the files that your customers are storing?

edited December 2018

@Weblogics said:
    IOW, you can view all the files that your customers are storing?

>

Nope, this is from discussions on our discord where people are asking for help setting those up :) I need to make a popup explaining how to format/mount.

Francisco

Thanked by 3pullangcubo Trav spammy
  • Really nice work on this... It's extremely fast! I've been trying a few other storage VPS services to back up my BuyVM VPS + home PC to, and basically none of them can compete in terms of performance.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@Daniel15 said:
    Really nice work on this... It's extremely fast! I've been trying a few other storage VPS services to back up my BuyVM VPS + home PC to, and basically none of them can compete in terms of performance.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'm very proud of the product as a whole.

Francisco

• I just realised that the BuyVM site doesn't actually say that the slabs use RAID10. I had to search this thread to find that info. I would have thought that'd be one of the selling points.

@Daniel15 said:
    I just realised that the BuyVM site doesn't actually say that the slabs use RAID10. I had to search this thread to find that info. I would have thought that'd be one of the selling points.

A good idea, I'll see where I can fit it in :)

Francisco

• Any eta for LU slabs?
    And yeah, def put raid10 on the selling page, I also came here searching for that info.

@Obelus said:
    Any eta for LU slabs?
    And yeah, def put raid10 on the selling page, I also came here searching for that info.

Working on it.

Will look to add some details about redundancy :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Obelus
  • Fwiw I forgot how to remount my slab. I figured it out after a while, but not before trying to find info in the BuyVM knowledge base. @Francisco you might put something there if you ever get some time.

@willie said:
    Fwiw I forgot how to remount my slab. I figured it out after a while, but not before trying to find info in the BuyVM knowledge base. @Francisco you might put something there if you ever get some time.

Good call :)

I think we need to merge the wiki into billing.

Francisco