Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Block Storage Slabs! $1.25/mo for 256GB! $5.00/mo for 1TB! CN2 GIA also available! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Block Storage Slabs! $1.25/mo for 256GB! $5.00/mo for 1TB! CN2 GIA also available!

Comments

• @Francisco said:
    For those interested, https://buyvm.net/block-storage-slabs/ is the front page marketing we'll be putting live shortly. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

To be fair where did you get your pricing for OVH? Because imo it looks a bit too much. The notes are correct but OVH's website gives me for the classic volume on the american version USD 0.055/gb/m and the european version EUR 0.04/gb/m excl vat. Apart from that great job though!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Just ordered. @Francisco, your logo isnt showing on invoices in mobile at least tho :p

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Vinnyletje said:

@Francisco said:
    For those interested, https://buyvm.net/block-storage-slabs/ is the front page marketing we'll be putting live shortly. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

To be fair where did you get your pricing for OVH? Because imo it looks a bit too much. The notes are correct but OVH's website gives me for the classic volume on the american version USD 0.055/gb/m and the european version EUR 0.04/gb/m excl vat. Apart from that great job though!

https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/storage/additional-disks/

Francisco

• Francisco said: or you can look to the darkside and use GlusterFS?

What do you mean darkside?

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited November 2018

@Francisco said:

@Vinnyletje said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Edited - because I can't read and MikePT corrected me.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2018

@Weblogics said:

@Francisco said:

@Vinnyletje said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Not that I am a big fan of OVH, but your marketing page then is a bit misleading as you only show the higher cost per month for OVH 3,000 IOPS plan and doesn't also list the lower cost for 2,000 IOPS plan.

200 IOPS guaranteed. Not 2,000. Then they have the up to 3,000 IOPS plan. Wouldnt be fair to compare with their 200 IOPS plan since Fran's Slabs can do 10k IOPS very easy.

• @MikePT said:

@Weblogics said:

@Francisco said:

@Vinnyletje said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Not that I am a big fan of OVH, but your marketing page then is a bit misleading as you only show the higher cost per month for OVH 3,000 IOPS plan and doesn't also list the lower cost for 2,000 IOPS plan.

200 IOPS guaranteed. Not 2,000. Then they have the up to 3,000 IOPS plan. Wouldnt be fair to compare with their 200 IOPS plan since Fran's Slabs can do 10k IOPS very easy.

Thanks for the correction - didn't notice the one less zero for the IOPS on the OVH page...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Francisco said:

@Vinnyletje said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Ah you compared the high speed volume plan that makes sense and indeed as @MikePT mentioned it wouldn't be fair to compare yours against the classic plan. And this is the site I get when I choose USA on the main ovh site seems that it is even more expensive. https://us.ovhcloud.com/products/public-cloud/block-storage-additional-drives

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • williewillie Member
    edited November 2018

MikePT said: 200 IOPS guaranteed. Not 2,000. Then they have the up to 3,000 IOPS plan. Wouldnt be fair to compare with their 200 IOPS plan since Fran's Slabs can do 10k IOPS very easy.

That is not reasonable-- slabs are a great product but let's not exaggerate. They have caching but they are still HDD storage and there is no 10k iops to be had from them (at least to any single VM) if the access pattern is random. It's best to compare with OVH's HDD product which is also ridiculously expensive compared to slabs. In OVH's favor OVH also has various other storage products including dedicated servers with HDD's, so even their HDD add-on cloud storage is one of the less favorable comparisons one can make.

Digital Ocean also has block storage at $0.10/GB (20x slab pricing) though it's pure SSD, and Vultr's also appears to be SSD. Vultr also has storage VPS with HDD (still on the expensive side, but less so than SSD) in some locations, or at least they did at one point.

Overall I find the pricing comparison chart somewhat bogus and not all that helpful.

• Why is this pinned in the Offers section?

• corbpie said: Why is this pinned in the Offers section?

no one pinned it :smile: somehow it's always on top, because people keep add new post here

• @sibaper said:

corbpie said: Why is this pinned in the Offers section?

no one pinned it :smile: somehow it's always on top, because people keep add new post here

That doesn't cut it. Don't offer threads stay sunk after a few days even with new responses?

• @corbpie

trewq said: This thread isn't sinking on purpose. It'll start sinking again in a couple of days, it is too good of a deal and such a step forward price wise in the industry to let it go unnoticed.

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2018

corbpie said: That doesn't cut it. Don't offer threads stay sunk after a few days even with new responses?

As I remember I unsunk the Hetzner Cloud thread because there was a lot of community interest in it that went on for a while, people asking questions, etc. (Edit: actually I'm not sure whether that was me as it was a while ago, but same idea). It was a category changing product. This was similar. It can probably be sunk now though.

• Alright thanks guys, as long as no one took cash under the table.

• Lastest test, inbound is not CN2 anymore.

• Mark_O_PoloMark_O_Polo Member
    edited November 2018

@corbpie said:
    Alright thanks guys, as long as no one took cash under the table.

However to be straight this is the new "LET model". Just need to know whom to buy service from. But I digress as this Off topic.

@DearTanker said:
    Lastest test, inbound is not CN2 anymore.

Should be fixed up.

Had some DDOS issues (welcoming comity from the other GIA brands I guess), but things transitioned back this morning.

Francisco

• I would love to see this whole BuyVM offer on Black Friday 2018 with 50% off. I know it won't happen, but dreaming is still allowed on LET.

• I remember the Flying Burrito Brothers a lot differently than that... ;)

• @Francisco Please post in here when Las Vegas is in stock again :) There was one available a couple days ago but I did not snatch it up in time.

• wtfcook said: Please post in here when Las Vegas is in stock again There was one available a couple days ago but I did not snatch it up in time.

Stocks go back the first, and the tenth of each month due to cancellations, and unpaid services getting terminated.

• @Foul said:

wtfcook said: Please post in here when Las Vegas is in stock again There was one available a couple days ago but I did not snatch it up in time.

Stocks go back the first, and the tenth of each month due to cancellations, and unpaid services getting terminated.

Cool, thanks for letting me know \o

• @wtfcook Sign up here for BuyVM stock notifications.

Thanked by 1wtfcook
  • @saibal said:
    @wtfcook Sign up here for BuyVM stock notifications.

Grabbed a slice a few days ago. Thanks though \o

• spammyspammy Member
    edited December 2018

Just curious, what have people been using this storage for? I mean it is more expensive than most of the backup servers (in LE* standard) so clearly a waste of money if you are just looking to backup your photos, etc. Large databases (that are being used heavily) might be one of the application but let's be honest, how many of us really have crazy 5TB DBs set up at home?

I don't think BuyVM is DMCA-friendly so I would assume movies/p0rns won't go a long way there too...

Not trying to troll, genuinely curious....

P.S., very nice new website @Francisco, still blue but looks a lot "modern" now :)

@spammy said:
    Just curious, what have people been using this storage for? I mean it is more expensive than most of the backup servers (in LE* standard) so clearly a waste of money if you are just looking to backup your photos, etc. Large databases (that are being used heavily) might be one of the application but let's be honest, how many of us really have crazy 5TB DBs set up at home?

I've seen some nextcloud's, Linux ISO's obviously, plex/media servers, etc.

Some people using it as a more reliable backup server since they want more performance than they get elsewhere.

Francisco

Thanked by 1spammy
  • @Francisco said:

@spammy said:

I've seen some nextcloud's, Linux ISO's obviously, plex/media servers, etc.

Some people using it as a more reliable backup server since they want more performance than they get elsewhere.

Francisco

Make sense, thanks for sharing the insight...might actually grab one when you landed in NY (living in the East Coast), or better still, Canada, eh

• I'm on the East Coast of Canada and even then, the transfer speeds are more than acceptable. I backed up about 1.7TB in 3 days to a slab.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • spammy said: I don't think BuyVM is DMCA-friendly

If @fransisco can set up in LUX, then they are DMCA friendly