Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with Stripe? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's wrong with Stripe?

2»

Comments

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

I have trouble signing up for so many hosting services (mostly cheap shared hosting) when the country of the IP, card and billing address don't match. Quite annoying. Often they will manually override it.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@m4nu said:
    I have trouble signing up for so many hosting services (mostly cheap shared hosting) when the country of the IP, card and billing address don't match. Quite annoying. Often they will manually override it.

Yeah because that's a sign of fraud, but i'm sure most responsible companies will accept the order if client contacts them and explain and/or provides some kind of verification, all depends upon what are you ordering and many other factors

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

@adroitssd said:

@HostEONS said:

@Hukin said:

HostEONS said: HostEONS

Many countries won't allow chargebacks from any kind of bank cards so it really not matters. Better to screen only specific countries where CC chargebacks allowed easy by call bank or something else. I guess can get that list if needed.

I think you are just talking about countries who have mandated 3D Secure but even in those countries users can still chargeback if the merchant does not supports 3DS and Stripe's 3DS is still in beta and not main stream yet due to lack of Stripe WHMCS Module with 3DS Support.

In my opinion, CC 3D security should be implemented all the countries for safer internet transaction and less fraud chargeback. Happy business!

3dsecure is generally poorly designed and poorly implemented, IMO.

One implementation (seems to have mostly stopped now) was an iframe that the customer had to put their 3dsecure password in. This is an awful idea.

Another is verification by phone -- ignoring that the customer might forget to update the number with the bank and given how infrequently 3dsecure is utilised, it might be a long time until the customer finds out and then can't make their purchase -- but voicemail is well known as vulnerable. Oops.

Even ignoring all of that -- it doesn't matter because the number of vendors that use 3dsecure is miniscule. So if your card details are stolen, they can just use them at any other vendor that doesn't use 3dsecure. A system like this is worthless unless all online vendors have to implement it.

The paper is a bit dated now, but "Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode: or, How Not to Design Authentication" is worth a read.

It was a nice idea -- poorly designed and poorly implemented.

• @jh said:
    1. They're expensive although cheaper than PayPal
    2. It takes a week to get your money (in the UK, varies elsewhere)
    3. Support is email only which is really frustrating when payments get held etc.

Stripe has also been telling hosting companies they need to stop using Stripe because of their risk.. which doesn't bode well for LET companies.

Stripe has not been telling hosting companies they need to stop using Stripe because of their risk. I confirmed with stripe support and even gave them a thread here on LET where someone said stripe shut them off because they were a hosting company. Stripe said that person was not shut off because they are a hosting company but that it was something else and they couldn't say specifically what. We were told our business is welcome there as well as any other hosting provider.

• Bad joke *

Q. Why don't hosting company use stripe?

A. Because then their users are called stripper

• I've been working with stripe for more than a year. I don't have a complaint.