Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with Stripe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's wrong with Stripe?

esctoresctor Member
edited October 2018 in General

I've noticed there's some providers who used to accept Stripe but no longer do so and only accept payment by PayPal. Why is this?

Comments

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

Chargeback on Creditcards are more costly then on paypal :)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

@esctor said:
    I've noticed there's some providers who used to accept Stripe but no longer do so and only accept payment by PayPal. Why is this?

They shutdown and not like hosting providers.

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2018
    1. They're expensive although cheaper than PayPal
    2. It takes a week to get your money (in the UK, varies elsewhere)
    3. Support is email only which is really frustrating when payments get held etc.

Stripe has also been telling hosting companies they need to stop using Stripe because of their risk.. which doesn't bode well for LET companies.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • FoulFoul Member
    edited October 2018

jh said: It takes a week to get your money (in the UK, varies elsewhere)

I get my funds from stripe every 2 days.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2018

I've found 2co and paypal to be far worse than this (also, anecdata - < 3 days in US for 0% chargeback rate here)

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@Foul said:

I get my funds from stripe every 2 days.

same here

• Yeah, Could be due to many charge back. But we ask for ID proof to make sure it's real buyer.

• jh said: They're expensive although cheaper than PayPal

That so?

Stripe
    1.4%+20p for European cards
    2.9%+20p for non-European cards

Paypal (<1.5K EUR volume)
    You should pay 3.4% + 20p per transaction

Paypal (6-15K EUR volume)
    You should pay 2.4% + 20p per transaction

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • jhjh Member
    edited October 2018

ricardo said: Stripe
    1.4%+20p for European cards
    2.9%+20p for non-European cards
    Paypal (<1.5K EUR volume)
    You should pay 3.4% + 20p per transaction
    Paypal (6-15K EUR volume)
    You should pay 2.4% + 20p per transaction

Paypal charges an extra 1% for cross-border transactions (though unlike Stripe they make it hard to find).

So for non EU cards:

Paypal (<1.5K EUR volume): You should pay 4.4% + 20p per transaction

Paypal (6-15K EUR volume): You should pay 3.4% + 20p per transaction

• For some reason I read your original post saying that Paypal was less expensive. I agree with you.

• Why need middlemans when PayPal can accept payments directly. Save your money and time.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

not true and its not main reason.

jh said: Support is email only which is really frustrating when payments get held etc.

Spot on, I personally don't like their responses!

jh said: hosting companies they need to stop using Stripe because of their risk

exactly the same as PayPal no difference, Stripe is better as you can set fraud radar and it will simplified the fraud screening

• Stripe also has a habit of shutting off anyone they decided they don't align with politically. I'll be damned if they'll get a chance to run my card.

• Due to high % of chargeback they can suspend your account.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

We are using Stripe and no issues, you just need to be careful with fraud screening, not just rely on automated fraud tools and you can almost get rid of chargebacks.

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited October 2018

WebProject said: jh said: Support is email only which is really frustrating when payments get held etc.

Spot on, I personally don't like their responses!

This hasn't been true for some time. They now do chat and phone support (via call back request) too

https://support.stripe.com/contact

Edit:

Link for reference of them announcing it

https://stripe.com/blog/phone-and-chat-support

• WebProject said: Stripe is better as you can set fraud radar and it will simplified the fraud screening

PayPal itself do that very well. And seller experience.

@Hukin said:

WebProject said: Stripe is better as you can set fraud radar and it will simplified the fraud screening

PayPal itself do that very well. And seller experience.

Paypal does not gives a lot of details like:

1) If card is a prepaid card
    2) Origin Country of card
    3) whether it is a debit or credit card ?
    4) Unless you get PayPal billing agreement enabled for your account you cannot charge your customer on recurring basis and if customer setup PayPal subscription a lot of times it causes double payment etc....

• Bitcoin. The future.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

There is nothing wrong with Stripe. If you vet your orders correctly there should be very low chargeback rates and they most definitely do not have any problems with hosting companies :) Stripes Radar is amazing and helps cut down the fraudulent attempts.

If you're worried about higher chargeback fees (£15?) then you shouldn't be running a business. For US I think they can send payments every 1-2 days, in EU/UK its weekly. Don't see that as an issue unless you're running into issues paying your invoices/not profitable.

If you prefer PayPal and have volume you can talk to braintree (paypals sister company) who can get aggressive on pricing.

• HukinHukin Member
    edited October 2018

Anna_Parker said: Bitcoin. The future.

Wrong. Bitcoin starts to failure our times. Because financial groups starts to control it like a regular banks or payment systems.

If it really matters which card, prepaid or credit and country of origin our times. There a lot of people uses prepaid or Virtual Cards avoid unwanted charges. Only stupid use real main _credit _ card for online purchases.

If it really matters which card, prepaid or credit and country of origin our times. There a lot of people uses prepaid or Virtual Cards avoid unwanted charges. Only stupid use real main _credit _ card for online purchases.

Yeah that's what i'm suggesting, if it shows prepaid card, it' reduces the possibility of fraudulent transactions to a great extent, again if it shows origin country it also helps with fraud screening

• HostEONS said: HostEONS

Many countries won't allow chargebacks from any kind of bank cards so it really not matters. Better to screen only specific countries where CC chargebacks allowed easy by call bank or something else. I guess can get that list if needed.

@Hukin said:

HostEONS said: HostEONS

Many countries won't allow chargebacks from any kind of bank cards so it really not matters. Better to screen only specific countries where CC chargebacks allowed easy by call bank or something else. I guess can get that list if needed.

Yeah i would love to have that list

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

lukehebb said: This hasn't been true for some time. They now do chat and phone support (via call back request) too

https://support.stripe.com/contact

Last time I contacted them personally was years ago and personally did like their messaging system as it was impossible to attach any evidence and good news that they did introduced the alternative way to contact them!

• HostEONS said: Yeah i would love to have that list

May be Wikipedia provide a some one :smiley:

@Hukin said:

I think you are just talking about countries who have mandated 3D Secure but even in those countries users can still chargeback if the merchant does not supports 3DS and Stripe's 3DS is still in beta and not main stream yet due to lack of Stripe WHMCS Module with 3DS Support.

• @HostEONS said:

@Hukin said:

I think you are just talking about countries who have mandated 3D Secure but even in those countries users can still chargeback if the merchant does not supports 3DS and Stripe's 3DS is still in beta and not main stream yet due to lack of Stripe WHMCS Module with 3DS Support.

In my opinion, CC 3D security should be implemented all the countries for safer internet transaction and less fraud chargeback. Happy business!

@adroitssd said:

@HostEONS said:

@Hukin said:

In my opinion, CC 3D security should be implemented all the countries for safer internet transaction and less fraud chargeback. Happy business!

Yeah it should be implemented, but even all Merchant needs to implement it

• maybe too much fraud account, It's very diffuse problem