Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to SolusVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to SolusVM?

Besides SolusVM, what else are you guys using?

Comments

• Thanked by 1chali
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Proxmox
    OpenNebula

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
  • I had used SolusVM for a while (round about 3 years) and using Proxmox now since 5 month.
    Proxmox is nice to use. But it is depending off about how you will using it.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

OpenStack is still my favourite, but it's not exactly OOTB. OpenNebula would be my second choice I guess. All the Virtualizor instances I've seen had something broken, unlucky me.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

With their amount of bugs introduced with every release, you'd recommend them as an alternative?

Thanked by 1Tr33n
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

personally never tried, ISP VM manager:
    https://www.ispsystem.com/software/vmmanager

• Is anyone happy using Virtualizor, Proxmox, OpenStack, or ISP VM manager?

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@Brandon said:
    Is anyone happy using Virtualizor, Proxmox, OpenStack, or ISP VM manager?

I am happy running opennebula, as it is what I am planning on shifting all nodes to eventually.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

With their amount of bugs introduced with every release, you'd recommend them as an alternative?

I haven’t run into that many, not more then what I’ve heard other providers complain about Solus.

Virtualizor is ugly, I admit that. They do need a GUI developer but they show progress.

• @Clouvider OP didn't mention he is looking for better alternative or, something like that. So, anyone can mention any quality alternative I believe.

Also, people familiar with SolusVM should take Virtualizor as easy to switch type of alternative. Both has bugs and updates promised which was never provided.

forgive me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2018

@wa44io4 said:
    @Clouvider OP didn't mention he is looking for better alternative or, something like that. So, anyone can mention any quality alternative I believe.

Also, people familiar with SolusVM should take Virtualizor as easy to switch type of alternative. Both has bugs and updates promised which was never provided.

forgive me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Difference being Solus is stable. Virtualisor is not - they fix something and brake something else. 2 releases later they brake what they fixed and it goes round and round and round.

There was one notable host who recently wanted to switch and gave up.

• Can't go wrong with proxmox imo.

• Clouvider said: Difference being Solus is stable. Virtualisor is not - they fix something and brake something else. 2 releases later they brake what they fixed and it goes round and round and round.

True, SolusVM generally is stable. But they like to publish things which does not work. They marked CentOS 7 support for KVM since long time as stable, but it is clearly not. Recently they released a fix for it, but it is buggy as hell.

I have no idea how they did not notice this before the release. The issues with the new libguestfs package are so obvious.

I'm curious what Plesk will do with SolusVM. At least something is happening now.

• I am using virtualizor and its working good for us.

• Tr33n said: True, SolusVM generally is stable. But they like to publish things which does not work.

I'm with you.
    During the 3 years i used SolusVM there were some bugs. BUT!
    SolusVM has a awesome support. Often get replies after a few minutes. The support is always friendly and the replies often solved my issues.

Never forget the price!
    Maybe VMWare offers stable versions and possibilities. But then you are also far out of the money, what you pay at SolusVM.

Finally, it is important to know what you want to do. Just create a few VMs? Here Proxmox is a good idea. But if you want to sell, there are some other options that you should look for.

• Openstack or Cloudstack

• off-topic: are the guys who own solusvm created solus os too?

• Dedicadude said: off-topic: are the guys who own solusvm created solus os too?

What do you mean? Templates for the distribution?

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

@Dedicadude said:
    off-topic: are the guys who own solusvm created solus os too?

Nope.

Thanked by 1Dedicadude
  • @MKHosting said:

Dedicadude said: off-topic: are the guys who own solusvm created solus os too?

What do you mean? Templates for the distribution?

https://getsol.us/

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but my question was answered shortly. Thanks for the clarification.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

NGDatacenter said: Openstack

Openstack has a huge management overhead and is not suitable for small installs.

• Solusvm has much better support compare to virtualizor, but in terms of features, virtualizor greater than solusvm. end up i choose virtualizor

• @beth said:
    Solusvm has much better support compare to virtualizor, but in terms of features, virtualizor greater than solusvm. end up i choose virtualizor

Virtualizor support is really trash, also so many bugs. But for a low price and extra features, people use them.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@adroitssd said:

@beth said:
    Solusvm has much better support compare to virtualizor, but in terms of features, virtualizor greater than solusvm. end up i choose virtualizor

Virtualizor support is really trash, also so many bugs. But for a low price and extra features, people use them.

Their main focus is to support as many platforms as possible but there's no polish applied to the work already done.

I've helped out a few companies that use Virtualizor and it's....unique.

Francisco

• This is by far the best alternative https://www.ispsystem.com/software/vmmanager. Yep, russian, but quality is miles better then indias virtualizor with their india support. Try and you will see.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:
    This is by far the best alternative https://www.ispsystem.com/software/vmmanager. Yep, russian, but quality is miles better then indias virtualizor with their india support. Try and you will see.

The Russian software devs I've seen have always been pretty good. That's slightly cheaper than SolusVM too, I might check it out just to see how it is.

• @LTniger said:
    This is by far the best alternative https://www.ispsystem.com/software/vmmanager. Yep, russian, but quality is miles better then indias virtualizor with their india support. Try and you will see.

what about their support response time?

• adroitssd said: what about their support response time?

Typical. They respond better if you contact in Russian. Support is on business days.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

I am using Proxmox since many years and I am really happy with it.