Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Challenge to hosts: Extreme Low End box for $1 to $5/yr. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Challenge to hosts: Extreme Low End box for $1 to $5/yr.

Comments

• Real just got a shit. Folks who sell cheap yearly NAT just believe to get a flood of orders cover their expenses. Not everyone happy with NAT VPS on exchange.

Florence said: Wow, didn't know PayPal was that expensive...

Yeah, many buyers has no idea about how many fees seller pay for provide goods to you, even with free shipping really not a free.

Thanked by 1Florence
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

+1 for Gullo

Here a bench of a 2€ per year NAT VM in Helsinki :)

Thanked by 3vovler Cam Florence
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Hukin said:
    Real just got a shit. Folks who sell cheap yearly NAT just believe to get a flood of orders cover their expenses. Not everyone happy with NAT VPS on exchange.

It is not a really a 1:1 ratio on the NAT business.
    At least not for us lowendspirit providers.
    We all have something else bringing in money to pay for the losses that NAT business is.

If you are not happy with the service, let the provider know, only way to improve the service.

Florence said: Wow, didn't know PayPal was that expensive...

Yeah, many buyers has no idea about how many fees seller pay for provide goods to you, even with free shipping really not a free.

• mikho said: If you are not happy with the service, let the provider know

Just about Ipv4 VPS more easy to setup and maintain than NAT VPS.

mikho said: We all have something else bringing in money to pay for the losses that NAT business is.

That interesting.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why not just say you're looking for a free server?

Thanked by 2emg masteri
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited September 2018

I sell on eBay, but I pay ~13% in fees (3% to PayPal, 10% to eBay) which requires me to raise the price to cover them so that it doesn't affect my bottom line.

PayPal is not just expensive as a payment processor, it's very expensive. Especially if you're selling small items, or in this case NAT VPS servers.

• HukinHukin Member
    edited September 2018

Ebay also charge for list and relist every item that not sold, so seller pay again and again for same not sold item.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2018

This is it. Nobody wanted to post it, so I shall be the evil one to close this thread. Here it comes... the dirty angel of all avaricious cheapness, who dropped the A-BOMB a few months ago and it's still dangerously active:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/149123/vps-cheaper-than-your-coffee-2-year-vps-pennsylvania-canada-germany-bulgaria-finland

Thanked by 2Janevski Cam
  • Clouvider said: Why not just say you're looking for a free server?

That closer to truth - https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/142808/nanokvm-free-nat-kvm-romania-finnland#latest

• @Hukin said:

Clouvider said: Why not just say you're looking for a free server?

That closer to truth - https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/142808/nanokvm-free-nat-kvm-romania-finnland#latest

It requires a certain number of posts, a specific account age, and requires a specific reason for usage (for example VPN is not accepted). OP does not qualify for it, yet.

• default said: It requires a certain number of posts, a specific account age, and requires a specific reason for usage (for example VPN is not accepted). OP does not qualify for it, yet.

Was a bit sarcastic about that, not really.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    I sell on eBay, but I pay ~13% in fees (3% to PayPal, 10% to eBay) which requires me to raise the price to cover them so that it doesn't affect my bottom line.

PayPal is not just expensive as a payment processor, it's very expensive. Especially if you're selling small items, or in this case NAT VPS servers.

Well try using Paypal micropayments for NAT VPS servers. They charge a higher variable rate but a way lower flat fee which makes the fees more reasonable. But Paypal is jsut bloody expensive...

• @default said:
    This is it. Nobody wanted to post it, so I shall be the evil one to close this thread. Here it comes... the dirty angel of all avaricious cheapness, who dropped the A-BOMB a few months ago and it's still dangerously active:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/149123/vps-cheaper-than-your-coffee-2-year-vps-pennsylvania-canada-germany-bulgaria-finland

This thread may be far for closing.

I hereby summon @Cam to sit around the camp fire with us and tell us how he does it, because such mindblowing deals are almost breaking the laws of physics. It's basically just like when Dave from a space odyssey 2001 tried to follow the monolyth and went through dimensions and saw marvelous things, unimaginable.

Thanked by 2Cam Florence
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited September 2018

• @creep said:

@Florence said:

@creep said:
    or @Neoon https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/142808/nanokvm-free-nat-kvm-romania-finnland/p1

or just use 1 year free at Google Cloud instance, Microsoft Azure, amazon ec2.

but like you said, "playing with command line" , why not just boot linux into your PC ? or just topup $5 in vultr and get $25 free , spin VM $0.004/hour and when you are bored playing with the machine, just destroy it. you will still have $29.996 balance in vultr.

I tried Google, Amazon. Didn't particularly like their clouds. Extremely convoluted to do something extremely simple. Have to read like 1500 pages and go through 30 different menus, to do something simple like adding an instance to a bucket. :blush:

thats weird. I just need to google "how to run/get google cloud instance/amazon free tier/microsoft azure" , and theres your tutorial article. less than 10 mins reading.

10 minutes? You might as well have said 10 hours. Reading is for pussies.

Seriously though, I went to use free server from Google and ran into Gui errors trying to assign IP. I contact support with screen shot, described the steps to reproduce, and quoted their documentation. While support was with a human that used complete sentences, they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about and just thought I was trying to do something not allowed. I gave him examples of how the GUI redraws to only provide valid options, so it's actual fucking errors in the GUI code that's poorly coded.

In the end, the problem didn't get resolved after 3 back and forths and was by far more hassle than I've ever experienced in Solus control panel. Just straight forward and works or doesn't. So I get his point.

• @TimboJones said:

@creep said:

@Florence said:

@creep said:
    or @Neoon https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/142808/nanokvm-free-nat-kvm-romania-finnland/p1

but like you said, "playing with command line" , why not just boot linux into your PC ? or just topup $5 in vultr and get $25 free , spin VM $0.004/hour and when you are bored playing with the machine, just destroy it. you will still have $29.996 balance in vultr.

I tried Google, Amazon. Didn't particularly like their clouds. Extremely convoluted to do something extremely simple. Have to read like 1500 pages and go through 30 different menus, to do something simple like adding an instance to a bucket. :blush:

thats weird. I just need to google "how to run/get google cloud instance/amazon free tier/microsoft azure" , and theres your tutorial article. less than 10 mins reading.

Seriously though, I went to use free server from Google and ran into Gui errors trying to assign IP. I contact support with screen shot, described the steps to reproduce, and quoted their documentation. While support was with a human that used complete sentences, they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about and just thought I was trying to do something not allowed. I gave him examples of how the GUI redraws to only provide valid options, so it's actual fucking errors in the GUI code that's poorly coded.

In the end, the problem didn't get resolved after 3 back and forths and was by far more hassle than I've ever experienced in Solus control panel. Just straight forward and works or doesn't. So I get his point.

You sound like a noob then, both of you. Or maybe I'm just genius that I can look up on it and get a server running with no hassle.

It's free. You have 1 year to learn. And now I don't know which one is right.

• Thanked by 1Florence
  • Woohoo! 64MB, that's great. :smiley:

• FlorenceFlorence Member
    edited September 2018

@Clouvider said:

No, not really, but it wouldn't turn it down. :blush: Bought 3 servers in the last week. So it's not about about the money, just to see what a host could offer us.

It seems difficult to get a real old school lowendbox... like 64MB/500MB/600-1000Mhz, like it was 10+ years ago...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Florence said:

@Clouvider said:

No, not really, but it wouldn't turn it down. :blush: Bought 3 servers in the last week. So it's not about about the money, just to see what a host could offer us.

It seems difficult to get a real old school lowendbox... like 64MB/500MB/600-1000Mhz, like it was 10+ years ago...

Because you don’t understand why they were offered in the first place. These boxes were on offer subsidised to get as many IP addressed as possible. Now that you can’t justify and get more, as there is none left, there is no more subsidised offers. Simple as that...

Thanked by 3Janevski mikho trewq
  • @Florence said:

You know, things change with time. There's very little demand for 64MB RAM because it's hard to do things with so little memory now. Not impossible, but hard. Servers with more RAM are cheap enough now, so most people don't see the point of struggling with 64MB RAM.

• FlorenceFlorence Member
    edited September 2018

@angstrom said:

@Florence said:

You know, things change with time. There's very little demand for 64MB RAM because it's hard to do things with so little memory now. Not impossible, but hard. Servers with more RAM are cheap enough now, so most people don't see the point of struggling with 64MB RAM.

I understand... bit nostalgic maybe... I remember roaming this site, ram node, years ago, sweet memories. Very loweend. Didn't know about lowendspirit, but now I do.

It's nice to tinker with it. To test my knowledge and see what I could do with minimal resources. Others go play a game, or shoot a game of pool, I like to tinker with Linux :smile:

Like tilde groups of a few years ago... was popular too in certain geek circles. http://tilde.club useless, but fun.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2018

@Florence said:
    Like tilde groups of a few years ago... was popular too in certain geek circles. http://tilde.club useless, but fun.

Somehow those tilde groups don't seem so active anymore. I wonder why. :smile:

In any case, LowEndSpirit is presently the closest that you'll get to real low-end boxes.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • @Florence said:

@Clouvider said:

wow, really? 10+ years with inflation, cost of living, etc; the low end deals now is the prices 10 years ago. You are drunk.

• @Florence said:

Woohoo! 64MB, that's great. :smiley:

Don't forget the /80 IPv6 :tongue:

• @creep said:

@TimboJones said:

@creep said:

@Florence said:

@creep said:

You sound like a noob then, both of you. Or maybe I'm just genius that I can look up on it and get a server running with no hassle.

It's free. You have 1 year to learn. And now I don't know which one is right.

Are you dense? Their fucking site was erroring out on valid options. Unless I get access to the code, I can't fix it. Having basic configuration errors is on them, not me. But go on, you're a goddamn genius for doing something simple. Have a cookie.

Thanked by 1creep
  • blackhidenblackhiden Member
    edited October 2018

+1 Gullo

Benchmark timestamp: 2018-10-04 00:16:20 UTC
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores: 1
    Frequency: 1700.008 MHz
    RAM: 128M
    Swap: 64M
    Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-042stab128.2 x86_64

Disks:
    ploop13416p1 3G HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    5.315 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    2.691 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 45.3 us / 1.16 ms / 44.9 ms / 3.03 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 3.89 k requests in 5.00 s, 972 MiB, 777 iops, 194.4 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 654.22 MiB/s
    2nd run: 666.62 MiB/s
    3rd run: 589.37 MiB/s
    average: 636.74 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4: 95.216.20.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         62.41 MiB/s
    Leaseweb (NL):        37.78 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   12.24 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      32.60 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         11.10 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
    your IPv6: 2a01:4f9:2a:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        36.30 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   13.89 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      41.70 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         14.33 MiB/s

$2/y Finlandia (NAT)
    Good enough at that price

Unfortunately, there's no Singapore

• @mikho said:
    Bundle of nine(9) 128mb/3gb NAT servers at $2/year (each).

Cheap enough?
    https://clients.mrvm.net/cart.php?a=add&bid=9

Do you need nine (9) * 256mb/5gb.
    Price?: $3.50/year (each)
    https://clients.mrvm.net/cart.php?a=add&bid=10

Knock yourself out.

Shh.. when will you restock this?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@blackhiden said:

@mikho said:
    Bundle of nine(9) 128mb/3gb NAT servers at $2/year (each).

Cheap enough?
    https://clients.mrvm.net/cart.php?a=add&bid=9

Do you need nine (9) * 256mb/5gb.
    Price?: $3.50/year (each)
    https://clients.mrvm.net/cart.php?a=add&bid=10

Knock yourself out.

Shh.. when will you restock this?

Don’t know. I have 1-2 more locations that I hope to roll out before black friday.

• @mikho Give me your entire stock of all locations for $0.10/ea?