Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surface Go - thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Surface Go - thoughts?

Been waiting for this since the RT - a decent small enough machine that’s as mobile as the iPad which gives decent software compatibility, allowing decent use of excel and other productivity stuff on the go.

Thoughts? Is the Pentium too slow for your liking? Anyone bought a unit and love it or lost their patience at the machine?

Comments

• Penti...........um what was i doing again.
    Oh yea time to get back to what i was doing, the lag finished.

• I ordered a XPS 13 for mobile work...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2018

2184 benchmark for 399$ hahahahahaha
    You can find some cheapo chinese notebooks for 200$ and below with same performance and for 400$ you sure find a notebook with more performance.

What will you do with your Surface Go?: Paint.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@caracal said:
    Been waiting for this since the RT - a decent small enough machine that’s as mobile as the iPad which gives decent software compatibility, allowing decent use of excel and other productivity stuff on the go.

Thoughts? Is the Pentium too slow for your liking? Anyone bought a unit and love it or lost their patience at the machine?

Check out the hp elite x2 1012, I have been using this for every day work and it's perfect.

• edited August 2018

I've been eyeing the Jumper EZBook 3 Pro + M2.SSD (~$250). Just can't get the courage to give up my old Toshiba Portege R835-P50x just yet!

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/jumper-ezbook-3-pro

Thanked by 1Umair
  • I have a Surface Go, we use the Surface range at work so we already had a build for one. I have the 8Gb / 128Gb SSD version. I have to say it's an impressive little tablet, ideal for my long commute and in meetings. I do take on board what the others have said above, but this isn't a cheapo Chinese device and I have yet to find a 10 inch contender from recognised brand (happy to be corrected though).

I guess it depends on your use case...

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I still use the original Surface Pro which is a similar form factor and it is a pretty solid device. 4GB RAM is just not enough anymore, though. I frequently remote into my computer on my desk because it starts to choke with just a few browser windows open.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Perfect. Been doing admin and development work on it. It's fast, feels natural as both a small laptop and a tablet. For when the pixelbook just won't fit what I'm doing, this one picks up and runs with it.

Got the 8GB + SSD model. Would buy it again.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • My thoughts, really good concept, but for me too small.

I often read (PDF) magazines on my 10" and since magz are usually A4 or larger it.s a bit small and you need to scroll the page V and H.

12" pads are rare. iOS - no way!, Samsung stopped their 12" line years ago. For me the alternative is a notebook with 360° flip cover and touch screen. Has Windows 10, and I would go for a 13" or 14" screen.

Don't know what I mean? Google for VivoBook Flip, example:

https://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/VivoBook-Flip-Series-Products/

But pretty much all makers have them now. A very cheap one would be the Teclast F6

dergelbe said: For me the alternative is a notebook with 360° flip cover and touch screen

If the rumors are true that Google is going to let people install Windows 10 on the Pixelbook soon, it's going to be a super sexy version of what you just described.

• @jar said:
    Perfect. Been doing admin and development work on it. It's fast, feels natural as both a small laptop and a tablet. For when the pixelbook just won't fit what I'm doing, this one picks up and runs with it.

Have you tried it outside of 'S mode?

Gravely said: Have you tried it outside of 'S mode?

I have. I thought I might meet some performance issues but I haven't really. Termius, Atom, Chrome, and Discord are my top uses.

Of course, there will definitely be a use case that won't find it so friendly I'm sure.

• @jar said:

Gravely said: Have you tried it outside of 'S mode?

I have. I thought I might meet some performance issues but I haven't really. Termius, Atom, Chrome, and Discord are my top uses.

Of course, there will definitely be a use case that won't find it so friendly I'm sure.

Tossing up replacing my Windows 10 laptop but not sure how it would go in S Mode, my uses are very similar to yours haha

• @jar said:

@jar said:

@jar said:

Thanks for the thoughts. Do you ever feel it’s anaemic for what you do with it?

Was wondering if it can process some JPGs on my point and shoot during travel.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited August 2018

I'm waiting for delivery of my used sp4.. Can't wait to have it my hands!

Edit: @qps @jar how many hours your battery last? Do you "shut down" or just "stand by" the device when not in use?

• @Gravely said:
    Tossing up replacing my Windows 10 laptop but not sure how it would go in S Mode, my uses are very similar to yours haha

Mine came with pro, so it's worth checking the skus. Mine was packaged as "for commercial or education use".

• I have the 4GB / 64GB. I brought it to test if was a viable alternative to a fleet of 30 iPads for a client. Those Ipads are used for email and SharePoint access. My initial thoughts were no but having used it for 5 days I now love it and I'm contemplating returning it for the slightly higher specs. and ditching my XPS 13.

I don't do any of the heavy work on it. Most of that is done on the Windows VM from Shadow Gaming which acts a my primary desktop these days (waiting for the Shadow Ghost) via their software. But anything using SSH is done directly from the Go.

• carp969 said: I now love it and I'm contemplating returning it for the slightly higher specs. and ditching my XPS 13.

Funnily enough I'm in exactly the same situation. My current Go is a work one (as head of IT I got unboxing and borrow rights) and I have used it for a couple of days and I am impressed. I am not sure I would go back to my XPS 13 (2014) for my commute now... Again I agree the higher spec on is worth spending out on for SSD vs eMMC alone.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2018

The other thing is, why would you buy a surface, that's glued everywhere, and has soldered memory and disk?

If you have decent soldering skills maybe, I would prefer something that can be disassembled and replaced on the fly.

Like swapping NVMe/SSD with just 4 screws, upgrading memory with a few screws.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

I've been using my Surface (bottom of the line ARM model) quite alot since I got it. Expecially since my XPS 15 got stolen (<3mo old too...)

Not sure I'd want something slower though. The surface already starts to struggle under some of my workloads. Picked it up for 900AUD new too ~660USD a 1-2 years ago so can't complain.

• xaocxaoc Member
    edited August 2018

fun little vid.

• Depends on what you're going to use it for but I worry it won't have enough power. I've got the Surface Pro 4 and love it. Small, lightweight and plenty of power for normal sysadmin tasks even with tons of tabs open, Outlook, Teams, softphone, Putty, etc.

@caracal said:

@jar said:

@jar said:

@jar said:

Thanks for the thoughts. Do you ever feel it’s anaemic for what you do with it?

Was wondering if it can process some JPGs on my point and shoot during travel.

Honestly it hasn't felt slow at all with what I've done in it. Not sure if diminishing returns will bite me later, they always seem to with anything even if it's my own fault.

• @Neoon said:
    2184 benchmark for 399$ hahahahahaha
    You can find some cheapo chinese notebooks for 200$ and below with same performance and for 400$ you sure find a notebook with more performance.

What will you do with your Surface Go?: Paint.

Yeah.. 449€ and runs Windows S (which I know you can change but still..). Microsoft is trying so hard to be the next Apple. Which is good for my stocks but I'm content with my 90€ 10" Tablet and 200€ 15" laptop. 10" is way too small for a laptop (I had a netbook when they were in fashion).

• i have a pro rather than a go and i think it is a fantastic device fr what it is
    it will never be my primary device because of screen size and too high a resolution but is perfect for meetings, travel and shorter tasks

• Just got a Go and it meets all my expectations. Not a machine for everyone for sure.

• @caracal said:
    Just got a Go and it meets all my expectations. Not a machine for everyone for sure.

How many hours your battery last?

• I have a Surface Pro 3 that has swelled battery after 2 years of usage, causing screen to protrude and WiFi to malfunction.

Not sure about later generations or variations, but I'm not going to trust Microsoft in hardware quality anytime soon. :smile:

• @NanoG6 said:

@caracal said:
    Just got a Go and it meets all my expectations. Not a machine for everyone for sure.

How many hours your battery last?

Just around 6 hours; with chrome as my main browser

Thanked by 2NanoG6 michaels
  • @eLohkCalb I would always order a 3yr warranty with a $1000+ device