Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gullo's Hosting Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gullo's Hosting Review

2»

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2018

@Chuck said:

@default said:

@Chuck said:
    well, if you use 88%-96% RAM for hour, gullos won't be happy.

I used a browser loaded in this test. I assumed one would not use a browser loaded 100% of the time. It really depends on what you want to do with it. But running a browser on a window manager is doable with 128mb of RAM.

I wanted to try it because back in the days of 2000-2004 this was common with small RAM. Now we have fancy OS and browsers and web pages, but we still read text, look at other people's photos and watch videos.

try this:

http://theclassictools.com/

to see if it's better than Midori.

So your challenge would be: "Hey, would you please run Windows 7 on 128mb RAM (in OpenVZ) for this browser?"

• h2oh2o Member
    edited September 2018

@default said:
    On this $2 VPS one can try to load a light desktop such as LXDE + TightVNC, but if one tries to add a browser, everything starts to crash (OpenVZ kernel not included).

However, if one tries to use something extremely light, such as IceWM + TightVNC and a light browser such as Midori, it works great. In this case, total load is at 88%-96% RAM on Debian 9 but it definitely works. This is what I recommend if someone wants a basic window manager and some basic applications on a 2$ VPS machine; careful though on running too many applications at the same time.

Another option would be Enlightenment (e17) Window Manager, but I did not have time to try this one, yet.

try jwm, a little like icewm. or you can try the tiniest desktop [tinywm] if you want.:smiley:

• @h2o said:

@default said:
    On this $2 VPS one can try to load a light desktop such as LXDE + TightVNC, but if one tries to add a browser, everything starts to crash (OpenVZ kernel not included).

However, if one tries to use something extremely light, such as IceWM + TightVNC and a light browser such as Midori, it works great. In this case, total load is at 88%-96% RAM on Debian 9 but it definitely works. This is what I recommend if someone wants a basic window manager and some basic applications on a 2$ VPS machine; careful though on running too many applications at the same time.

Another option would be Enlightenment (e17) Window Manager, but I did not have time to try this one, yet.

try jwm, a little like icewm. or you can try the tiniest desktop [tinywm] if you want.:smiley:

You are right, I remember using JWM with Damn Small Linux when I ran on old Pentium 1 (with 24mb RAM) as router back in 2005.

JWM only takes 22mb of RAM. Impressive, with browser Midori it takes about 70% of RAM (a drop from 90%). Thank you for the idea. Now Gullo (@cam) must be happier about clients trying to run desktop on NAT.

Thanked by 1Cam