Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gullo's Hosting Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gullo's Hosting Review

JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
edited August 2018 in Reviews

Been using this little NAT VPS for about a month or so. I never really knew what a NAT VPS was and was surprised how cheap they were. I found a $6.50/year 256MB NAT vps from Gullo's and then saw they had a $2.50 coupon in their post. Used that, which brought the puppy down to $4/year.

Here is a bench.sh benchmark:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz
Number of cores      : 1
CPU frequency        : 1696.215 MHz
Total size of Disk   : 4.8 GB (0.7 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem  : 256 MB (256 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 0 MB (0 MB Used)
System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 25 min
Load average         : 0.16, 0.15, 0.10
OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 8
Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel               : 2.6.32-042stab127.2
I/O speed(1st run)   : 529 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 727 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 642 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 632.7 MB/s
Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         51.3MB/s
Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          4.03MB/s
Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            2.98MB/s
Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           4.75MB/s
Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           4.71MB/s

Although, I've only had this service for a month or so, I've had no issues with server issues or downtime whatsoever. Running apt-get update, reinstalling a template, reboot, and service nginx restart commands are mountains faster than my w00t vps. It basically feels way more snappier.

One problem I ran into initially was how to get into SSH. I think it was more of me never using a nat vps before. Nonetheless, when I ordered there was a direct link in the email on how to obtain the ipv4 address, and a calculator to show the corresponding ssh port. In hindsight, it was far more simple than I thought!

The only downside I found is the OS template installer in the control panel is a bit bugged. If you select the same OS to install it will say it's updated successfully, however, your OS is still the same nothing has changed. What you have to do is re-install a random os template, then go back and re-install to Debian (or whatever). On my w00t and chicago control panel's I never experienced that. I just chose the same OS and it re-installed it

With that said, I'm very happy with this vps, and thought I'd post somewhat of a "review" to show appreciation. Thanks for reading~

Thanked by 3bersy default Cam

Comments

• w00t!

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@doghouch said:
    w00t!

w00t?

Thank you,
    Jason from Woothosting

• Small NAT containers are great. I have (among others) a 128MB with @Cam at $2/year and a 64MB with @DavidGestionDBI at iirc $1.50/year (and I use that one a lot). There have been times when I've wanted a bit more disk space but I haven't often felt that I needed more ram. They're not development boxes and simple services can be run in small machines if you avoid bloaty frameworks that are tasteless anyway.

Shameless plug: lowendspirit.com is @AnthonySmith's forum which is devoted to this type of tiny VPS.

Thanked by 2Cam JohnMiller92
  • gullo hosting may be good for your needs

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @cam, fyi.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • tarek.boxtarek.box Member
    edited August 2018

i 'm using gullo hosting (shared hosting) and it is very good

Thanked by 2JohnMiller92 Cam
  • Nice to hear .

• What are you doing with the NAT VPS? Web server to host a site?

• @HowLowCanYouGo said:
    What are you doing with the NAT VPS? Web server to host a site?

• edited August 2018

@default said:

@HowLowCanYouGo said:

“Good questions are to be appreciated, not answered.”
    ― Raheel Farooq

Thanked by 1inklight
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

"The end is nigh."

-Deank

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • JohnMiller92 said: $2.50 coupon

Where ?

• @HowLowCanYouGo said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NAT+VPS?+Web+server+to+host+a+site

• It is very good, I use the NAT VPS to host my personal gogs service for 6 months, no issue at all.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • been using them for around 8 months now, had no issues so far.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • @inklight said:

@HowLowCanYouGo said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NAT+VPS?+Web+server+to+host+a+site

Really? I'm asking the person specifically what they are using it for. I don't care what is on Google search results. Besides, your link is useless because it gives a list of NAT VPS not what you can use them.

• @HowLowCanYouGo said:

Examples: Web server (sites depending on resources given and IPv6), Storage/Backup, VPN, Torrenting/Downloading, Proxy, IRC Bouncer, Service Monitor, Entertainment Voice Support (Teamspeak, Mumble, and so on), learning / compiling / programming, testing other scripts before doing dumb crazy shit on production, you can even do crypto-mining or Torr-node if provider allows it.

The important answer is imagination, other than that... you can search for all the technical solutions (as @inklight recommended).

• williewillie Member
    edited September 2018

You can do pretty much anything with a NAT VPS that you can with a regular one, as long as it doesn't require listening on a specific ipv4 port. A lot of them will even reverse-proxy ports 80 and 443 so you can run web servers on them w/o having to use nonstandard ports. And you can always use nonstandard ports (you get assigned a set of them).

• @default said:

@HowLowCanYouGo said:

Examples: Web server (sites depending on resources given and IPv6), Storage/Backup, VPN, Torrenting/Downloading, Proxy, IRC Bouncer, Service Monitor, Entertainment Voice Support (Teamspeak, Mumble, and so on), learning / compiling / programming, testing other scripts before doing dumb crazy shit on production, you can even do crypto-mining or Torr-node if provider allows it.

Okay, thanks. This is more helpful. I think you're speaking in generalities because for the specs you get, half of what you suggest is not possible. I was really asking people that have same specs NAT VPS or actually using Gullo's NAT VPS.

OpenVPN and WebProxy is really the only use case I've found aside from having secure shell (SSH) access.

• williewillie Member
    edited September 2018

Another cool use of them is as a low-rent CDN. You get them in multiple geographic regions and then redirect web requests to the one closest to the client.

I've also used them for monitoring and scraping-type scripts, that retrieve some specific list of pages every so often. Not much resources are needed for that.

• Maybe a low end IPFS node, but 5GB wouldn't give you much content to peer.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@HowLowCanYouGo said:

@default said:

@HowLowCanYouGo said:

Okay, thanks. This is more helpful. I think you're speaking in generalities because for the specs you get, half of what you suggest is not possible. I was really asking people that have same specs NAT VPS or actually using Gullo's NAT VPS.

OpenVPN and WebProxy is really the only use case I've found aside from having secure shell (SSH) access.

One or two of my customers are using them with the anycast beta test from rage4.

I have users running wordpress sites.
    Vnc server for browsing. https://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?pid=20588#p20588

There you have some examples.

• @JohnMiller92 OMG are you still having a vps with w00t?
    How are they doing on the vps-end? (since banned from most U.S. forums) and I too marked all their marketing mails as spam in gmail I never heard back from them with hot exciting offers. Now when searched on google I can find some offers on chinese forum/blogs, but can't understand it.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited September 2018

Sofia_K said: you still having a vps with w00t?
    How are they doing on the vps-end?

The first month or so after I bought my year plan there was downtime on and off constantly. However, it seems like there is no downtime at all now, and it's smooth sailing tbh. And yeah, some of their promo emails are in Chinese now. I should submit a ticket and tell them I don't know Chinese lol

• wishosting has been generous with big storage and unlimited bandwidth though.

• On this $2 VPS one can try to load a light desktop such as LXDE + TightVNC, but if one tries to add a browser, everything starts to crash (OpenVZ kernel not included).

However, if one tries to use something extremely light, such as IceWM + TightVNC and a light browser such as Midori, it works great. In this case, total load is at 88%-96% RAM on Debian 9 but it definitely works. This is what I recommend if someone wants a basic window manager and some basic applications on a 2$ VPS machine; careful though on running too many applications at the same time.

Another option would be Enlightenment (e17) Window Manager, but I did not have time to try this one, yet.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited September 2018

well, if you use 88%-96% RAM for hour, gullos won't be happy.

• @Chuck said:

I used a browser loaded in this test. I assumed one would not use a browser loaded 100% of the time. It really depends on what you want to do with it. But running a browser on a window manager is doable with 128mb of RAM.

I wanted to try it because back in the days of 2000-2004 this was common with small RAM. Now we have fancy OS and browsers and web pages, but we still read text, look at other people's photos and watch videos.

• @Chuck said:

that's easy. don't tell him then.

• @default said:

@Chuck said:

I used a browser loaded in this test. I assumed one would not use a browser loaded 100% of the time. It really depends on what you want to do with it. But running a browser on a window manager is doable with 128mb of RAM.

I wanted to try it because back in the days of 2000-2004 this was common with small RAM. Now we have fancy OS and browsers and web pages, but we still read text, look at other people's photos and watch videos.

try this:

http://theclassictools.com/

to see if it's better than Midori.