Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

urpad shutting down all services Ag 22nd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

urpad shutting down all services Ag 22nd

Dear xxxx (xxxx),

This is a reminder that on Aug 22nd we will no longer be providing hosting or VPS services. If you have not already done so, we advise preparing to move your VPS and/or hosting account away from our network.

As mentioned in our last email, we have set up a migration agreement with Warpline Hosting (https://my.warpline.com/aff.php?aff=96)

This will allow you to sign up for hosting services with them, and allow for the migration of your data to them. Further details on their pricing plans can be found here: https://my.warpline.com/aff.php?aff=96

Once you have signed up for an account with Warpline, please let us know the email address used for signup, and we will ensure your data is transferred to Warpline with minimal interruption of service. This move would require an IP change.

You are of course more than welcome to use any hosting provider you wish; however, we would not be able to facilitate migration of your data or content. We anticipate shutdown of service on or shortly after Aug 22nd.

With thanks,

The Urpad Team

Comments

• Summer is over fellas.

• Who?

Thanked by 4Aidan corbpie Eased pike
  • I got the email above, and it all looks legit, but concerned this is happening with such short notice.

They say its a reminder, and a followup to a previous email, but when I login to their billing system (whmcs) and look into the email history, there were no previous emails sent.

If legit, they give us 1 week notice, and they just sent a renewal invoice for one VPS 3 days ago.

Has anyone else had this?

• My only friend.. THE END.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

Yeah, it's common among summerhosts.

Be glad that you are actually given a notice and few days. Most just shut down the shop and go back to school, using money you gave him to buy steam games and such.

• deank said: Yeah, it's common among summerhosts.

I hear what your saying, but I have had services with them since 2011 ?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
    edited August 2018

Meaning he began the biz in early grade. Now that he is going to college, he can't afford to waste time anymore.

Or he is graduating from college/uni and getting a real job instead of this shitty a buck per hour job.

• Nah was not a Summerhost, but was sold to someone else a while ago. Around the same time Justin sold BlueHost if I remember correctly.

They had some exotic locations like Iceland at one time, but have not heard about them in awhile.

• From November 2012:

I could see that the disk i/o is 30 Mb/s which is good and not an poor one. As the VPS has been built under openvz environment and it is not possible to maintain the same i/o because the resources are completely shared across all the Vm's on this host node. If any one of the VM uses high I/o, it will affect the other VM's i/o speed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Dennis Ross
    Support Supervisor
    URPad.net - A FTNHosting Company

Telephone: +1(888) 743-8814 (ext. 2)
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/URPad

Responses like this would cause a LET to have a hemorrhage nowadays, likely 300+ posts in the thread all trying to lynch the host. Ah, the halcyon times....

Thanked by 2lbft AnthonySmith
  • lbftlbft Member

What the hell are you smoking @deank? URPad was around for years and is owned by Root Level, it's not a one man summerhost operation just because you haven't been around long enough to have heard of it.

It was never all that great, but it was legitimate.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Kinda strange that they injected their aff code into the email. Dick move on two fronts: 1. They're milking their existing customers for more cash through affiliates sales and 2. They're taking money away from a different host that graciously accepted refugees and the migration of their data. With ethics like that, it's no wonder they are closing shop.

Legitimate host my arse.

The day it was sold, it was the day it died.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited August 2018

Legitimate host my arse.

The day it was sold, it was the day it died.

Yeah sorry about that.. I regret that everyday.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • Just got one for Semoweb as well.

Dear Christopher Miller,

We regret to inform you that as of Aug 22nd, we will no longer be providing hosting or VPS services. We have greatly enjoyed your patronage over the last few years.

To make transitioning away from our services as painless as possible we have set up a migration agreement with Warpline Hosting (https://my.warpline.com/aff.php?aff=96)

This will allow you to sign up for hosting services with them, and allow for the migration of your data to them. Further details on their pricing plans can be found here: https://my.warpline.com/aff.php?aff=96

Once you have signed up for an account with Warpline, please let us know the email address used for signup, and we will ensure your data is transferred to Warpline with minimal interruption of service. This move would require an IP change.

You are of course more than welcome to use any hosting provider you wish; however, we would not be able to facilitate migration of your data or content. We anticipate shutdown of service on or shortly after Aug 22nd.

With Thanks,

The Semoweb Team

• crpatelcrpatel Member
    edited August 2018

If they are going out of business, why their ordering page is still active and accepting new orders? Specifically for semoweb.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

AuroraZ said: They had some exotic locations like Iceland at one time, but have not heard about them in awhile.

They straight up migrated everyone from those locations to LAX so they obviously bled the brand dry. They admitted a good few years ago to being in a tough spot financially but were working to improve the product.

Weren't a summer host at all, they gave it their all for quite a few years.

Francisco

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog raidz
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@crpatel said:
    If they are going out of business, why their ordering page is still active and accepting new orders? Specifically for semoweb.

they don't accept new orders and they used to be cheap - the top price was $9.95:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120214204144/http://www.urpad.net:80/linux-vps.shtml

• Nostalgia flashback. Used them years ago along with IPXCore. Good times. RIP

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @francisco by any chance got some OVZ boxes? Wouldn't mind consolidating my services to you, since I have a reseller already....

Any suggestions on a new host? I'm currently on 1GB, 40GB HDD 2vcpu for $19 a year.

• Yeah they'd been around for a while. Did they start in upstate NY?

I was wondering whose aff code that was (i.e. whether they sent it out themselves). Did anyone else get the email with the aff code?

• crpatelcrpatel Member
    edited August 2018

WebProject said: they don't accept new orders and they used to be cheap - the top price was $9.95:

Sorry for misunderstanding; I was actually referring to semoweb.

If Semoweb == urpad, then semoweb still accept a new order. https://lowendbox.com/blog/semoweb-3-256mb-openvz-restocked-in-dallas-free-pens/

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • EasedEased Member, Host Rep

Urbad?

• crpatel said: If they are going out of business, why their ordering page is still active and accepting new orders? Specifically for semoweb.

Their billing system is still issuing invoices for services beyond the cutoff date.

• Our mission will always be to support our current customers to ensure a long partnership.

• Urpad was one of my first VPS providers, years ago (2012?).

Migrated some shared hosting accounts to their service and don't recall having any major issues at the time. Moved away from them though some time after (2103) due to slow servers.

Pretty sure there was some drama here around ~2013 - drama I did not initiate though.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited August 2018

@Weblogics said:
    Urpad was one of my first VPS providers, years ago (2012?).

Migrated some shared hosting accounts to their service and don't recall having any major issues at the time. Moved away from them though some time after (2103) due to slow servers.

Pretty sure there was some drama here around ~2013 - drama I did not initiate though.

Same. Urpad and IPXCore were the first providers I think I ever used. IIRC it was IPXcore first, then urpad. Both were great at the time nonetheless.

If urpad is reading, I wish them luck in their future endeavours

• If urpad is reading, I wish them luck in their future endeavours

I wish I never sold URPad to them...

They killed *My Baby :'(

*Adopted

• I sold it over 5 years ago too... Damn that makes me feel old.