Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get ready for... Ubuntu 13.10 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Get ready for... Ubuntu 13.10

2»

Comments

• 12.04 owns, 13.04 had too many hw support problems, I wonder how 13.10 is..

• @serverian said:
    12.04 owns, 13.04 had too many hw support problems, I wonder how 13.10 is..

It didn't crash on me all morning, so it's better than 13.04 :P

• 12.04 owns, 13.04 had too many hw support problems, I wonder how 13.10 is..

13.04 crashed frequently. 13.10 crashes even more, for me.

I'm fairly certain this is the opposite of the direction stability should be heading.

• its a 1/3 chance for me for it to boot and laptop battery sensor to be noticed in 13.10. considering just installing debian 7

• Since the Ubuntu interface is crap, can somone a Linux that is as stable, low-maintance and useable as possible? It doesn't have to be pretty, i just need a GUI i can use efficently.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Since the Ubuntu interface is crap, can somone a Linux that is as stable, low-maintance and useable as possible? It doesn't have to be pretty, i just need a GUI i can use efficently.

OpenSUSE KDE.

• Thanks, but i'd prefer something debian-based since i'm most familar with Debian.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Since the Ubuntu interface is crap, can somone a Linux that is as stable, low-maintenance and useable as possible? It doesn't have to be pretty, i just need a GUI i can use efficently.

I would pay for such a thing.

Sadly, most of the desktop distros seem to think the way to woo Windows users over is by forcing them to change the way they've done things their entire lives and performing iterative re-inventing of the wheel.

Because lord knows Windows is ALWAYS wrong and Linux is ALWAYS right. Open your round pie holes, we're going to force these giant square pegs in . . . and that is the extent of our strategy.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Thanks, but i'd prefer something debian-based since i'm most familar with Debian.

Open your mind. Broaden your horizons. Seriously the differences are minimal. Just two main things:

1. Package manager. apt-get vs. zypper
    2. Locations for configuration files.

The thing with Debian is that it's stable version is too old. So all the desktop distros use the unstable version. OpenSUSE is designed from the ground up as a desktop distro. It gets a new version every 10 months or so.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Thanks, but i'd prefer something debian-based since i'm most familar with Debian.

Debian 7 with XFCE.

• @Abdussamad said:
    The thing with Debian is that it's stable version is too old.

Too old for what?

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

@Abdussamad said:
    The thing with Debian is that it's stable version is too old. So all the desktop distros use the unstable version. OpenSUSE is designed from the ground up as a desktop distro. It gets a new version every 10 months or so.

Seriously? You guys are going to argue over Debian vs Ubuntu which are maybe 90% exactly the same not including versions and defaults.

Last time I checked debian uses the same package managers too.

• Debian + IceWM.

• gsrdgrdghd said: Thanks, but i'd prefer something debian-based since i'm most familar with Debian.

Crunchbang Linux

• @sleddog said:

For desktop use.

@sman said:

No that is not what we were talking about. Look at his last post to see what I mean.

I don't know why when I press quote it won't actually quote people. Maybe if it did this sort of confusion would not arise.

• I hope 14.04 comes with 10 year support

• You can still run the 'classic' Ubuntu GUI if you prefer that.

apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

• If you are getting bent out of shape over a linux distro because of the gui you aren't doing it right.

• DemontagerDemontager Member
    edited October 2013

@sleddog said:
    Debian 7 with XFCE.

Lubuntu 13.10 = Ubuntu + LXDE the fastest and simple. Before i used Gentoo + gnome2, but since gnome2 deprecated i switched to Lubuntu to get almost same as gnome2 provides.

• I use it as my main when not on a windows specific software. Laptop had it until i upgraded to a desktop and tablet.