Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get ready for... Ubuntu 13.10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Get ready for... Ubuntu 13.10

Cannonical is now uploading ISOs: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/saucy/release/

Who else of you runs Ubuntu as his main OS? Any of you going to upgrade? Who already did.

I didn't help test this release myself due to a shortage of time. In the passed I usually started running the next release after the second or third alpha and then all the way through to the final release. Clean install after that.

Comments

• Running 13.04 on both laptop and desktop. I won't be upgrading to 13.10 on the desktop until I encounter software that requires it (nothing in this release interests me.). I'm updating my laptop with hopes that the nouveau is more stable in the new release.

Thanked by 1XLvps
  • @Adduc said:
    I'm updating my laptop with hopes that the nouveau is more stable in the new release.

You have a hybrid graphics in your laptop? I'm having frequent nouveau crashes on my laptop on 13.04. It's really annoying. My desktop had it as well, but at least I could switch to NVidia drivers there. My notebook has bumblebee and starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner when it's on its dedicated graphics card.

• I use Mint for almost 2 yrs as main OS. So will wait 1 more month after 13.10 is released

• fanfan Veteran

I just typed do-release-upgrade xD

• emreemre Member, LIR

xubuntu here on my desktop --with kwin -- , xubuntu there on my laptop , lubuntu there for x2go servers, debian elsewhere, centos on directadmin servers, promox on cluster nodes ... will update as soon as it's ready to go ...

• @mpkossen said:
    You have a hybrid graphics in your laptop? I'm having frequent nouveau crashes on my laptop on 13.04. It's really annoying. My desktop had it as well, but at least I could switch to NVidia drivers there.

Same issue with my Desktop and an Nvidia Geforce.

• nouveau works great for me, except for some programs running wine

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited October 2013

Anyone running 13.04 SHOULD upgrade to 13.10 SOON. You've only got 3 months of 13.04 support left.

Anyone running 12.10 has a choice. You can wait for 14.04, which is right at the edge of your supported period. Or you can upgrade now.

Anyone running 12.04 should wait for 14.04, since you're obviously choosing LTS over modernity.

For my purposes, I plan on doing a full apt-get dist-upgrade in a month or so, but I've modified all repositories to reflect saucy instead of raring already.

• @fan said:
    I just typed do-release-upgrade xD

Then go get a cup of coffee and wait and wait and wait. Then get another cup of coffee and wait. I'm still waiting. How long does this usually take? I'm installing it on a VM so it's going to be even longer.

• fanfan Veteran

@sman said:
    Then go get a cup of coffee and wait and wait and wait. Then get another cup of coffee and wait. I'm still waiting. How long does this usually take? I'm installing it on a VM so it's going to be even longer.

It actually took longer than all previous upgrades I've done before.

• mpkossen said: You have a hybrid graphics in your laptop? I'm having frequent nouveau crashes on my laptop on 13.04. It's really annoying. My desktop had it as well, but at least I could switch to NVidia drivers there. My notebook has bumblebee and starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner when it's on its dedicated graphics card.

Nope. Macbook Air (late '10) with GeForce 320M card, no optimus support. And nVidia has limited support for the chipset.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited October 2013

@mpkossen said:
    Who else of you runs Ubuntu as his main OS? Any of you going to upgrade? Who already did.

I do, it's complete garbage. I can't wait until I have the time to clean this turd off my system.

The UI was designed by a de-ranged person with the mental capacity of a 2 year old dyslexic child. It crashes a lot, that's a good thing in my eyes because it gives me a short period to recover and re-gain my sanity.

Thanked by 1DomainBop
  • A good rule of thumb when Ubuntu releases a new version - don't be the first ones to update. From my experience, it's buggy as hell. I always wait a month or two before updating.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Works good on the MacBook. Desktop is getting entirely too graphic intensive though. One thing you can't call the base regular install is lightweight.

• @jarland said:
    Works good on the MacBook. Desktop is getting entirely too graphic intensive though. One thing you can't call the base regular install is lightweight.

xubuntu ftw!

• Those of you with dual Nvidia cards (myself included) have you tried using bumblebee?

• I have it running on an EEE901 with 1GB RAM. Not the fastest but does the job.

• I'll be waiting on 13.10.1 ;-) Until then it's 12.04 LTS, but 99% of what I do is via ssh or within Chrome... so the OS is less and less important to me.

• Don't see the problem with Ubuntu. I use it on both my VPS's. The stripped down versions are just like Debian but without the packages being 75 years out of date :)

• @ATHK said:
    Those of you with dual Nvidia cards (myself included) have you tried using bumblebee?

Yep. I have bumblebee and it works well. I used to have 4 hours now I have 7+ on my laptop.

• @spycrab101 said:
    Don't see the problem with Ubuntu. I use it on both my VPS's. The stripped down versions are just like Debian but without the packages being 75 years out of date :)

People living in desktop world using X11, many of them gamers, are in another universe compared to people who live in server world doing things from command line and via webmin or whatever.

I uses both CentOS and Ubuntu and not all that different in server world. I put 13.10 Desktop on a VM just to see what all the whining was about with the new GUI. Other then the toolbar being vertical by default I don't see what people are all whiny about. I was able to find everything I need without much problem.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

Planning on upgrading from 12.04 to Debian 7 some time.

• @sman said: People living in desktop world using X11, many of them gamers, are in another universe compared to people who live in server world doing things from command line and via webmin or whatever.

The year is 2013, the two are no longer exclusive to each other.

• @perennate said:
    Planning on upgrading from 12.04 to Debian 7 some time.

Ha! I nuked Ubuntu on this HP laptop last night and installed Deb 7. All display and trackpad issues resolved.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @sleddog Linux Mint Debian Edition?

• @jcaleb said:
    sleddog Linux Mint Debian Edition?

Ubuntu Queasy Quagmire -> Deb 7

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • i dont understand

• I'm looking forward to upgrading to 13.10 on both my desktop and laptops. Hope it increases my fps in TF2!

• My dream is just to run photoshop without problems

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited October 2013

Hmpf... Why did they nerf the alternate installer?! I can't do encrypted LVM on a dual boot system (2 OS on one disk) now without jumping through hoops...

@Adduc said:
    Nope. Macbook Air (late '10) with GeForce 320M card, no optimus support. And nVidia has limited support for the chipset.

That sucks...

@jarland said:

Yeah, try running 12.10 on a VM. It's horrible. 13.04 brought improvements, however. But, if you have a fast machine, Ubuntu is fast as well ;-)