Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Body Try VD After Their Migration? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Body Try VD After Their Migration?

2»

Comments

• @volumedrive What's your average setup time since migration? May buy a dedi for development but don't fancy waiting weeks for setup.

• @Jono20201 said:
    volumedrive What's your average setup time since migration? May buy a dedi for development but don't fancy waiting weeks for setup.

Usually 24 - 48 hours excluding weekends. If you need an urgent setup, please open a support ticket after you place your order and we'll see if we can't expedite it.

• @skoenman said:
    Guys anybody also not getting to there servers??? seems like volumedrive has gone offline again

Had some temporary latency that has been resolved. We aren't seeing any packet loss at the moment.

• @DalComp said:
    volumedrive
    Thanks, I got the reinstallation details. But please also check with ticket #712033, unless you're feeling generous to provide free server access. :)

jarland Yeah, my bad. I got this from someone else (transfer) and didn't really know about their KVM policy. On TOS I could only find they provide 1 free reinstall per week, hence I requested it. Next time I will request KVM instead.

Great, glad to see everything is alright. We've checked and have updated that ticket.

• NYC Cogent lawl

• @rds100 said:
    Well Cogent doesn't have the full BGP table anyway. Or at least didn't have it 2-3 years ago.

We've always gotten full tables from Cogent, going back more than 3 years ago.

• @Microlinux i meant the full ipv6 BGP tables. How many ipv6 prefixes do you see from them?

• We are bringing IPv6 online this week, we'll let you know.

• @volumedrive, the drive just got replaced, however the i/o speed is worst than before.

Timing buffered disk reads: 248 MB in 3.06 seconds = 80.95 MB/sec
    [root@faith ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=./zero.img bs=1M count=1000 conv=fdatasync ; rm -f zero.img
    1000+0 records in
    1000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 97.2725 seconds, 10.8 MB/s

For some reason, the existing ticket# 204775 was not found under open/close in my client area, you may want to look into this. So i've no choice but to open a new #ticket 211802.

fyi, this new drive had power_on_hours of 14031 which is equivalent to 584 days.

• @Darwin, @CastleServers, @earl, @jarland, @DalComp, mind if you guys run dd test so that i could compare it against mine?

To test HDD read speed, please use the following command:
    sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda

To test HDD write speed, please use the following command:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=./zero.img bs=1M count=1000 conv=fdatasync ; rm -f zero.img

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@al3xt

hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

Timing buffered disk reads: 336 MB in 3.01 seconds = 111.80 MB/sec

1000+0 records in
    1000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 8.09761 s, 129 MB/s

Maybe it's a bad sata cable more so than a bad drive?

Thanked by 1al3xt
  • @al3xt

hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda: Timing buffered disk reads: 272 MB in 3.01 seconds = 90.29 MB/sec

1000+0 records in
    1000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 18.4079 s, 57.0 MB/s

It's a 5 year old drive...

Thanked by 1al3xt
  • @al3xt said:
    volumedrive, the drive just got replaced, however the i/o speed is worst than before.

Timing buffered disk reads: 248 MB in 3.06 seconds = 80.95 MB/sec
    [root@faith ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=./zero.img bs=1M count=1000 conv=fdatasync ; rm -f zero.img
    1000+0 records in
    1000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 97.2725 seconds, 10.8 MB/s

For some reason, the existing ticket# 204775 was not found under open/close in my client area, you may want to look into this. So i've no choice but to open a new #ticket 211802.

fyi, this new drive had power_on_hours of 14031 which is equivalent to 584 days.

Could be a bad SATA cable. We'll update your ticket.

Thanked by 1al3xt
  • al3xtal3xt Member
    edited October 2013
    • sorry for double posting -
  • @earl and @CastleServers, thanks for the dd test

@volumedrive, thank you once again :)

Thanked by 1volumedrive
  • @volumedrive said:

Thank you, server working like a charm now.

Thanked by 1volumedrive
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

So, what happened in the end with burstnet?

• @volumedrive, after replacing the SATA cable, still no luck. Write speed is still at 12.2 MB/s, which is undesirably slow. Dominick D. has been helpful and try to assists me on this, he says will get someone much better later, maybe another support to look into this.

i did suggest if he has the time/resource, he can do a quick diagnose by unplugging the HDD off and put into another server and then run the dd write test.

if the speed is fine on another server with the same HDD (which i hope not), then some other thing is affecting it.

• @al3xt said:
    volumedrive, after replacing the SATA cable, still no luck. Write speed is still at 12.2 MB/s, which is undesirably slow. Dominick D. has been helpful and try to assists me on this, he says will get someone much better later, maybe another support to look into this.

i did suggest if he has the time/resource, he can do a quick diagnose by unplugging the HDD off and put into another server and then run the dd write test.

if the speed is fine on another server with the same HDD (which i hope not), then some other thing is affecting it.

instead of messing about testing the HW, why not ask them to replace your server? probably the quicker route..

• @earl said:
    instead of messing about testing the HW, why not ask them to replace your server? probably the quicker route..

It could be just a HDD issue, and before any confirmed diagnosis, i don't think i would get a new server replacement from VD. Unless @volumedrive feeling generous enough to replace a new server with uptime credits? hopefully this will be resolved soon tho.

• @al3xt said:
    It could be just a HDD issue, and before any confirmed diagnosis, i don't think i would get a new server replacement from VD. Unless volumedrive feeling generous enough to replace a new server with uptime credits? hopefully this will be resolved soon tho.

could also be the southbridge overheating/dying, this would cause slow I/O too..

I had an older asus board with a failed southbridge fan, made the computer really slow..

Thanked by 1al3xt
  • @earl said:
    I had an older asus board with a failed southbridge fan, made the computer really slow..

hmm, possible. maybe @volumedrive or their support need to look into this as well. I really hope i would get my server back in operation asap..

• @al3xt said:
    volumedrive, after replacing the SATA cable, still no luck. Write speed is still at 12.2 MB/s, which is undesirably slow. Dominick D. has been helpful and try to assists me on this, he says will get someone much better later, maybe another support to look into this.

No worries, worst case scenario, we'll replace the server entirely for you.

• my server is back. it's now with 100+ MB/s of write speed, everything back to normal and speed. thanks josh @volumedrive!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Guys, whatever happens, maybe could we stop calling them VD ? Has a bad ring to it, you know what I mean ?

• @Maounique said:
    Has a bad ring to it, you know what I mean ?

'Venereal Disease'? ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Just look at the thread title:
    Any Body Try VD After Their Migration ?

Awful...

• @al3xt said:
    my server is back. it's now with 100+ MB/s of write speed, everything back to normal and speed. thanks josh volumedrive!

Great! Glad to see that everything is working well.