Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Body Try VD After Their Migration?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Body Try VD After Their Migration?

Hi
anybody try VD after their big outage and migration?
if yes how good their network now? and did their support get better?
thanks for your reply

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2013

For the price I guess it's OK for there low end servers.

They were bragging about there awesome NYC network with InfoRelay which they dropped for single homed Cogent and from WHT posts pure cogent isn't particularly well.

• Any links about pure cogent?

• @dnwk said:
    Any links about pure cogent?

Test IP: 204.124.180.67
    http://bgp.he.net/AS46664

• And no ipv6 at all?
    Well Cogent doesn't have the full BGP table anyway. Or at least didn't have it 2-3 years ago.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

@rds100 said:
    Well Cogent doesn't have the full BGP table anyway. Or at least didn't have it 2-3 years ago.

Yes, Cogent does have a full table. We use Cogent in our network and their performance has been great for many routes. I wouldn't recommend using them in a single-homed manner, though.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

CPU model : AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 2913.247 MHz Total amount of ram : 3697 MB Total amount of swap : 4095 MB System uptime : 2 days, 10:53, Download speed from CacheFly: 11.2MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 7.39MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4.23MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.66MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 3.72MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.52MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 838KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.77MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 3.68MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.08MB/s I/O speed : 128 MB/s

did not bother getting the 1Gbit port, also no ipv6 as of yet, but for the price is really good!

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

@qps i meant the full ipv6 table, sorry. When we had Cogent in our last mix (can't remember when we ditched them - probably 2-3 years ago) they only had some portion of the global ipv6 table.
    Otherwise i agree - they have a lot of customers, and there is no better way to reach their customers than to use their own network.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    qps i meant the full ipv6 table, sorry. When we had Cogent in our last mix (can't remember when we ditched them - probably 2-3 years ago) they only had some portion of the global ipv6 table.
    Otherwise i agree - they have a lot of customers, and there is no better way to reach their customers than to use their own network.

Yeah, Cogent still doesn't peer with HE on IPv6.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @Spirit said:

I mean in WHT praising pure cogent

• VolumeDrive is okay, but there have been so many communication errors, and it's taken more than a week for them to install a simple HD (and they haven't done it yet!)

• @CastleServers said:
    VolumeDrive is okay, but there have been so many communication errors, and it's taken more than a week for them to install a simple HD (and they haven't done it yet!)

wow too bad to see this
    @all thanksfor reply all

• @CastleServers said:
    VolumeDrive is okay, but there have been so many communication errors, and it's taken more than a week for them to install a simple HD (and they haven't done it yet!)

Lol I requested server reinstall on last Friday, they said it will be processed on that day. Up to now it hasn't been processed.

• @DalComp said:
    Lol I requested server reinstall on last Friday, they said it will be processed on that day. Up to now it hasn't been processed.

Same. They keep telling me it'll be done "in a few hours".

• @rds100 said:
    And no ipv6 at all?

IPv6 is fully available on our network and we will actually be offering IPv6 service starting this week.

• @CastleServers said:

Do you have a ticket ID for this? We'll of course look into that for you right away, but typical response time and queue has been relatively quick/low.

• @CastleServers said:

Following up on this. Seems that we had an open email dialogue going over the last few days and have completed your extra drive install.

• @DalComp said:

We have updated your ticket and have completed your request. Please check and let us know if you need further assistance.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Don't ask for a reinstall, ask for a KVM. They don't have the kind of margins to staff enough people to be reinstalling constantly. It's enough to keep up with orders and supporting any actual issues. No need to increase the burden.

New network is great. Had one outage so far. Didn't last long. No relevant bottlenecks to report.

• CPU model : AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 2812.914 MHz Total amount of ram : 7849 MB Total amount of swap : 8189 MB System uptime : 4 days, 8:08, Download speed from CacheFly: 7.64MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 6.03MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 2.62MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.85MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 3.41MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 3.18MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.64MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.15MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.09MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.00MB/s I/O speed : 17.1 MB/s

Speedy network so far, but i just noticed the low I/O speed. submitted a ticket to support. The drive itself had like 7000+ power_on_hours which is equivalent to almost 300 days of powerup, not sure if it's a sign of failing hdd?

is 17.1 MB/s of I/O speed consider bad?

• My server @volumedrive - 100mbit

CPU model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 2003.000 MHz Total amount of ram : 7977 MB Total amount of swap : 8179 MB System uptime : 3 days, 5:22, Download speed from CacheFly: 11.1MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 6.51MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4.26MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.38MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 4.10MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.10MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 463KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.19MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 3.93MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.39MB/s I/O speed : 121 MB/s

I am getting download speeds between 1MB/s and 3MB/s from South America (3MB/s from Sao Paulo, Brazil). Server upload speed to South America is probably faster than 1.2MB/s, that is my cable max speed and I could get that from this server.

For the price I am paying I think it is ok. *

*Only problem: I ordered a x4 620 and got a q8200 - I would not complain, they are almost equal, but q8200 doesn't have intel vt (and I wanted intel vt or 620's amd-v).

As CastleServers and DalComp said their support isn't fast, that server was delivered last saturday(12th, deliver was fast), and I asked the same day for a replacement. 15th they said they started working on it but didn't get the right server yet.

• @jarland said:
    Don't ask for a reinstall, ask for a KVM. They don't have the kind of margins to staff enough people to be reinstalling constantly. It's enough to keep up with orders and supporting any actual issues. No need to increase the burden.

New network is great. Had one outage so far. Didn't last long. No relevant bottlenecks to report.

We have several staff members handling support 24 x 7. (case in point 1AM as this response is being written). Yes, KVM is available and usually a quick resolution, but we usually process reloads in a timely manor.

• @Darwin said:

I am getting download speeds between 1MB/s and 3MB/s from South America (3MB/s from Sao Paulo, Brazil). Server upload speed to South America is probably faster than 1.2MB/s, that is my cable max speed and I could get that from this server.

For the price I am paying I think it is ok. *

*Only problem: I ordered a x4 620 and got a q8200 - I would not complain, they are almost equal, but q8200 doesn't have intel vt (and I wanted intel vt or 620's amd-v).

You have mail, just updated you about exchanging your CPU for a VT supported version free of charge.

Thanked by 1Darwin
  • @al3xt said:
    CPU model : AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 2812.914 MHz Total amount of ram : 7849 MB Total amount of swap : 8189 MB System uptime : 4 days, 8:08, Download speed from CacheFly: 7.64MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 6.03MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 2.62MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.85MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 3.41MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 3.18MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.64MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.15MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.09MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.00MB/s I/O speed : 17.1 MB/s

Speedy network so far, but i just noticed the low I/O speed. submitted a ticket to support. The drive itself had like 7000+ power_on_hours which is equivalent to almost 300 days of powerup, not sure if it's a sign of failing hdd?

Ticket number please. I'll bump this with our support.

• al3xtal3xt Member
    edited October 2013

@volumedrive said:
    Ticket number please. I'll bump this with our support.

#204775, thanks @volumedrive

• @al3xt said:
    #204775, thanks volumedrive

Just bumped your ticket with our support.

• great, now the support says will replace my drive. Will post update again later

• skoenmanskoenman Member
    edited October 2013

Guys anybody also not getting to there servers??? seems like volumedrive has gone offline again

• udkudk Member
    edited October 2013

Website has been unavailable for hours now...

It's not just you! http://volumedrive.com looks down from here.

• VolumeDrive looks up for me. Not sure about my node though.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited October 2013

@volumedrive
    Thanks, I got the reinstallation details. But please also check with ticket #712033, unless you're feeling generous to provide free server access. :)

@jarland Yeah, my bad. I got this from someone else (transfer) and didn't really know about their KVM policy. On TOS I could only find they provide 1 free reinstall per week, hence I requested it. Next time I will request KVM instead.