Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[DEAL] 12-Month LastPass Premium Subscription for $6 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[DEAL] 12-Month LastPass Premium Subscription for $6

2»

Comments

• iqbaliqbal Member

i'm with happy with enpass..

• ChuckChuck Member

@404error said:
    So... why not just use Avast Password Vault/browser plugin? free...
    Also available for phones.

Avast browser plugin sometimes mess up.

• With free options like Bitwarden, I don't understand how any of these companies have a business. Hard to believe any of them are better and they definitely aren't free,

• andreipoeandreipoe Member
    edited July 2018

@sidewinder said:
    With free options like Bitwarden, I don't understand how any of these companies have a business. Hard to believe any of them are better and they definitely aren't free,

Their business is based on trust. All software has bugs, and you can't always prevent attacks that aren't known a priori. LastPass have shown that they are very responsive when an incident happens, their attitude has been professional, and 3rd party audits have provided evidence that their system's design is sound. This increases confidence that you buy from people that understand how crucial security is for such a product and do their best to provide it in their offering.

On the other hand, BitWarden is developed by a single person (or at least was until a few months ago, when I last looked at it), and if you go through GitHub issues you can see he has had a questionable attitude (at best!) towards potential security holes that were reported.

LastPass seems to be focusing mostly on business customers these days, and as we all know enterprise has significantly different needs than consumer space. As has been pointed out above in this thread, there is not much to gain (as a consumer) from their premium package.

I am not trying to encourage the use of LastPass over BitWarden (or anything else, really); I am merely trying to show that there are many, subtle sides of the story. If you're looking for a free alternative, I can wholeheartedly recommend KeePassXC (from what I've read about it and my experience with it), which is open-source and cross-platform, and you can sync the database through a method of your choice.

• All the paid password managers are ** older ** than Bitwarden. I don't get it. Bitwarden is open source, you can self host assuming you want to deal with the BS SqlServer overhead.

There is a paid version of Bitwarden that might make some people feel better since they are paying for it, I guess.

• YuraYura Member

@sidewinder said:
    All the paid password managers are ** older ** than Bitwarden. I don't get it. Bitwarden is open source, you can self host assuming you want to deal with the BS SqlServer overhead.

There is a paid version of Bitwarden that might make some people feel better since they are paying for it, I guess.

There is much smaller server written in Rust and without shitty MSSQL dependencies. https://github.com/dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs Enjoy

• Sweet thanks.

Incidentally, in a day when the UI of almost everything I use sucks, the Bitwarden UI in the browser extension and stand-alone is close to flawless. With the self-hosted option, it's like the author thought of everything. Tremendous piece of software.

@Yura said:

@sidewinder said:
    All the paid password managers are ** older ** than Bitwarden. I don't get it. Bitwarden is open source, you can self host assuming you want to deal with the BS SqlServer overhead.

There is much smaller server written in Rust and without shitty MSSQL dependencies. https://github.com/dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs Enjoy