Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is NVMe more superior than SSD to you? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is NVMe more superior than SSD to you?

13»

Comments

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2018

Nvme is such a marketing term in hosting like cloud hosting. In fact, I think only LET have this fascination with Nvme.

Daily operations you only get minimal gain. Not worth the ticket for the hype train. At least not at the current price point.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@lonea said:
    Nvme is such a marketing term in hosting like cloud hosting. In fact, I think only LET have this fascination with Nvme.

Daily operations you only get minimal gain. Not worth the ticket for the hype train. At least not at the current price point.

Did you ever run anything on NVMe?

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

I'm not even going to answer that.

You will just throw raw IO figures and say there's a huge difference.

@Clouvider said:

@lonea said:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@lonea said:
    I'm not even going to answer that.

You will just throw raw IO figures and say there's a huge difference.

@Clouvider said:

@lonea said:

And @Clouvider would be right. There IS a huge difference.

That said, you should also see the providers position. Unlike us customers they can't exactly know what our profile is, what the best configuration is or whether more raw disk speed is really needed by us or not. So some of them do the sensible thing for their clientele and just provide the best.

Others with a different clientele chose the SSD route and have a bit cheaper offers (or a bit more profit).

For my own private projects I chose low end providers. Nobody in say a hobby community I run as a private project will complain if the site is occasionally a bit slow. For my clients though @Clouvider is one of my favourite go to providers. Simple reason: If their site is a bit slow it costs them money and maybe lost business.

Thanked by 1Clouvider