Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is NVMe more superior than SSD to you? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is NVMe more superior than SSD to you?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

@Gulf said:

@Clouvider said:
    Always NVMe. Performance different is huge and Customers like performance.

If you care about clients, you'd better look for issues in your network, than reading let and wht. It is addictive, but customers should not suffer from your addictions :)

Huh?

@Gulf said:

@jetchirag said:
    Which location? I haven't had any network issue on tele.

They've been blocking 2525 port (and probably others) for 12+ hours (used for sendgrid and other esp) :)
    Unable to send any email.

Anyway sorry for offtop, lets discuss nvme.

No, we absolutely did not ? Support ticket reference, please, or it didn’t happen.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

As somebody already pointed out, the problem with NVMe is that you have to shut the server down in order to replace a failed one.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Gulf said: They've been blocking 2525 port (and probably others) for 12+ hours (used for sendgrid and other esp) :) Unable to send any email.

I don't have any such issues and don't recall any in the years past, are you using clouvider directly or one of the hosts in their DC?

I have a number of customers I know for a fact use sendgrid without issues, I hope you have some sort of technical troubleshooting process to back that up as jumping in on random threads and stamping your feet offtopic to get attention makes you look like a prize tool.

• SSD is enough for now, maybe next year nvme become cheaper

@Shazan said:
    As somebody already pointed out, the problem with NVMe is that you have to shut the server down in order to replace a failed one.

Not entirely true. There are hot swap solutions available.

edited July 2018

@Clouvider said:

@Shazan said:

Good to hear but I suppose the most common configurations/offers aren't hot swap capable.

@Shazan said:

@Clouvider said:

@Shazan said:

Good to hear but I suppose the most common configurations/offers aren't hot swap capable.

it depends, the newer, higher end solutions tend to have this option available.

Thanked by 2Shazan PowerNode
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@Shazan said:

@Clouvider said:

@Shazan said:

NVMe not die easily!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

It depends on the use case, but for 99% of the time I'll take HDD please. I'm a sucker for lots of gigabytes! :D

Thanked by 1Aluminat

@key900 said:

@Shazan said:

@Clouvider said:

@Shazan said:

NVMe not die easily!

NVMe is a SSD with a faster interface, therefore it dies like every other SSD.

Thanked by 1KuJoe

@Shazan said:

@key900 said:

@Shazan said:

@Clouvider said:

@Shazan said:

NVMe not die easily!

Not quite for example p3700 come with something like 15 DWPD and 2mil hours if I remember I don’t see any SSD come that lifetime.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Shazan said: NVMe is a SSD with a faster interface, therefore it dies like every other SSD.

Well at least with good modern enterprise grade ones they die in read only mode 99% of the time so data recovery is a breeze.

HDD is a big storage technology now, nothing more, its performance is just dog shit compared to even crappy SSD's never mind NVMe SSD's

• jlayjlay Member
    edited July 2018

NVMe, latency is king. SSDs aren't the fragile things they once were, improved flash and controllers offering things like wear leveling means it's a moot point. Also, don't build things that depend on single points of failure - use multiple servers/disks so one having an issue isn't a big deal.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@AnthonySmith said:

Shazan said: NVMe is a SSD with a faster interface, therefore it dies like every other SSD.

Well at least with good modern enterprise grade ones they die in read only mode 99% of the time so data recovery is a breeze.

HDD is a big storage technology now, nothing more, its performance is just dog shit compared to even crappy SSD's never mind NVMe SSD's

Of course. I wasn't defending HDD, I just wanted to say that every kind of device can die, so even NVMe require redundancy.

• Is this the dumbest thread in the history of threads? Pick 1 clearly superior technology and ask people if its superior? I'm expecting we'll see some offer threads from the OP soon.

Thanked by 2default vimalware

@key900 said:
    Not quite for example p3700 come with something like 15 DWPD and 2mil hours if I remember I don’t see any SSD come that lifetime.

It is a matter of quality, not because it is NVMe.

@Shazan said:

@key900 said:

@Shazan said:

@Clouvider said:

@Shazan said:

NVMe not die easily!

Can’t fully agree with that either. If you take a look at endurance rating, you’ll find that similarly priced SATA SSD tends to be rated for less endurance than similarly priced NVMe SSD, manufactures tend to anticipate more writes on the faster drive.

@Clouvider said:
    Can’t fully agree with that either. If you take a look at endurance rating, you’ll find that similarly priced SATA SSD tends to be rated for less endurance than similarly priced NVMe SSD, manufactures tend to anticipate more writes on the faster drive.

Can be, but not because of the technology itself, I suppose it is because of more modern production process. I would never use them without any form of redundancy, anyway.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@Shazan said:

@Clouvider said:

Can be, but not because of the technology itself, I suppose it is because of more modern production process. I would never use them without any form of redundancy, anyway.

Yep, agree on that 100%, likely a business reason - what use to you would be all this performance if the drive would die 5 times sooner :).

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2018

to be honest I think NVMe is a real thing for providers to begin with, not neccessarily customers.

because it is faster, it simply allows a higher density on the very same server without running into the IO bottleneck.

from that PoV what is supposed to be changing for a customer? I'd say not much - either you are with a provider who's already cramming a lot of people onto a single node. with NVMe he most likely will do so even more - so performance might be a bit better for IO, but network and cpu might then become a more serious bottleneck...

or you are with provider who doesn't oversell that much in the first place. your performance probably is already decent with whatever setup you are on - again NVMe will only enable the provider to balance the ressources better to oversell a bit more without damaging your good performance anyway. not much changes.

believing that a provider puts in more expensive NVMe disks and does not either raise prices or number of clients per node more likely is wishful thinking ;-) ;-)

TL;DR; in most cases I'd still rather go with SSD/HDD instead of NVMe to not be put on even more overcrowded servers at all.

Thanked by 1mfs

@Falzo said:

I'd still rather go with SSD/HDD instead of NVMe to not be put on even more overcrowded servers at all.

No agree the CPU will die before doing too much overselling with NVMe.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

Is power consumption differences significant in a server? and between different models?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Adam1 said:
    Is power consumption differences significant in a server? and between different models?

Both NVMe and SSD typically user considerably less (typ. -50% to - 75%) power than spindle HDD.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

SSD is the future. My main rig will be spindle-less soon, planning to get one of those pci-e m.2 adapters (takes 3 of them) and use exclusively m.2 instead, saves me cables and space.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

jsg said: Both NVMe and SSD typically user considerably less (typ. -50% to - 75%) power than spindle HDD.

I was talking about the OP's post, SATA vs NVMe SSD

• PowerNodePowerNode Member
    edited July 2018

@JoeMerit said:
    Is this the dumbest thread in the history of threads? Pick 1 clearly superior technology and ask people if its superior? I'm expecting we'll see some offer threads from the OP soon.

There’s many taking part in this discussion... At the end of the day it’s a forum and people have the right to ask open questions.

It’s not a case of what’s superior, it was an open question to see what consumers prefer.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • YuraYura Member

@PowerNode said:

It’s not a case of what’s superior, it was an open question to see what consumers prefer.

title:

Come again?

• PowerNodePowerNode Member
    edited July 2018

@Yura said:

@PowerNode said:

title:

Come again?

A title that attracts attention... arrest me officer.

The title stands, what’s people’s general opinion on NVMe, is it going to be industry standard in the next couple of years, but yeah maybe some can’t get there head around it.

Most got my jist by reading the thread.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • licsonlicson Member

Falzo said: believing that a provider puts in more expensive NVMe disks and does not either raise prices or number of clients per node more likely is wishful thinking

Well if you get second-handed Intel NVMe SSDs from eBay that may be possible, but it's another story (and the endurance rating of the SSDs are probably less so the VPS can be unstable at times).

• @Adam1 said:

For the typical server model, a NVMe or AHCI/SATA SSD will definitely consume way less power than spinning rust.

However, a lot of mobile platforms still stick with AHCI or SATA based SSD's because the power management controls there are much more mature compared to NVMe drives and really power management on the NVMe's isn't all that unified.