Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with selecting an archive storage provider (C14, AWS Glacier, B2)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with selecting an archive storage provider (C14, AWS Glacier, B2)

Hello guys,

I have some 200 to 300 GB's of personal photos and Scanned docs.

I need to choose the an archive option as running a NAS for this got expensive over the years and it will rise as I need to back up more files in the future.

Please give you thoughts I leaned in to OVH CA but 40$ for just signup is something I don't want to spend on. And don't want to use Hubic.

Thanks guys.

Simon.

Comments

• So you Start ARM backup servers is a good choice

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @mtsbatalha said:
    So you Start ARM backup servers is a good choice

It would be costly because I have access to them in my fileserver and my PC I just want an Archive. So that I can stop using Raid 10 setup as other than this files I can download most things they are games and music mostly.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Backblaze is probably cheapest, but look at what their service is meant for. You'd be better off just paying for Google cloud storage or a Dropbox plan, as least you know everything would be secure and probably wouldn't have speed issues.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • seanhoseanho Member

OVH Cloud Archive: $2.3/TB/mo plus $11/TB ingress/egress

Thanked by 2simonindia greentea
  • seanhoseanho Member

And SYS Arm server would be nearly as cheap (while still being online storage) -- assuming you can find one in stock.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • williewillie Member

200-300GB is tiny. C14 isn't really what you want because of the slow and heavy operations of getting the data in and out (it's more like Glacier than S3). I'd get a storage VPS but that's just me. Do you have a location preference?

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Why not to use hetzner storage box for your project?

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • Hetzner storage box if you want bitrot protection (zfs FS). I can't emphasize this enough, considering all the 10yo corrupted JPGs I noticed when importing from my backup HDDs to Lychee gallery.

As I understand you want a good place for your important data, so you can dismantle your Raid10 (for more space presumably)

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @willie said:
    200-300GB is tiny. C14 isn't really what you want because of the slow and heavy operations of getting the data in and out (it's more like Glacier than S3). I'd get a storage VPS but that's just me. Do you have a location preference?

I don't have a location preference. I was leaning towards Glacier before as in a ideal scenario I won't access this files any time in the next decade. store and forget kind of thing. I have backups for them I just want another layer which won't burn a hole through my pocket in the long run.

@WebProject said:
    Why not to use hetzner storage box for your project?

for now its is expensive for some thing I won't touch when my volume grows yes it may be an option.

@vimalware said:
    Hetzner storage box if you want bitrot protection (zfs FS). I can't emphasize this enough, considering all the 10yo corrupted JPGs I noticed when importing from my backup HDDs to Lychee gallery.

Hetzner will be an option when I have at least a couple TB's of data. But for the tiny size and my approach upload and forget it will not work. And its interesting about bitrot I was reading about integrity but forget about the topic bitrot specifically thanks for that.

As I understand you want a good place for your important data, so you can dismantle your Raid10 (for more space presumably)

File integrity is thing why I have moved from storing the things on couple HDD to setting up a freeNAS and running them for last couple years. And yes I want to dismantle the NAS because maintaining it burning a bigger hole through my pocket. The HDD's and Electricity are the main expenses.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @MikeA said:
    Backblaze is probably cheapest, but look at what their service is meant for. You'd be better off just paying for Google cloud storage or a Dropbox plan, as least you know everything would be secure and probably wouldn't have speed issues.

But paying 10$ for dropbox will get expensive in a 5 year run. But true probably wouldn't have speed issues. But I have them locally in 2 location just want another layer for the long run. But yes I have a gsuite business account for office documents and other. but for bussiness I don't mind. but for personal usage I would like to keep them in separate I will also have a another copy of my business data using what I choose.

@seanho said:
    OVH Cloud Archive: $2.3/TB/mo plus $11/TB ingress/egress

I don't mind the initial costs I think i should pay the 40$ and get on the OVH CA bandwagon but when I have you guys why jump on something without a quick word.

• @simonindia said:
    And yes I want to dismantle the NAS because maintaining it burning a bigger hole through my pocket. The HDD's and Electricity are the main expenses.

This. Everytime I think about building a home lab +NAS, I put it off until I can go full solar+li-ion storage someday.

I'd rather burn Hetzner/kimsufi nuclear power for under 22 euros. Got rid of a bunch of storage VPS too.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • ZerpyZerpy Member

@simonindia said:
    I don't mind the initial costs I think i should pay the 40$ and get on the OVH CA bandwagon but when I have you guys why jump on something without a quick word.

Why do you have to pay $40?

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member

Zerpy said: Why do you have to pay $40?

You have to either link a credit card or pay $40 with PayPal to create a cloud project in OVH Cloud.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

simonindia said: in a ideal scenario I won't access this files any time in the next decade. store and forget kind of thing.

Oh I see. OVH Cloud Archive sounds good then. C14 has the disadvantages that 1) they charge you $10/TB not only to upload and download the files, but also to delete them. 2) they can only bill by charging your credit card the 1st of every month, and since CC payments always have a chance of going wrong, there's a vulnerability every month where the payment can fail and then you have drama, your files can be deleted if you're on vacation and miss the notification, or can't get it straightened out, etc. So I think it's better to use annual plans or maintain some credit balance for this type of thing, and Online doesn't support that.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @karatekidmonkey said:

Zerpy said: Why do you have to pay $40?

You have to either link a credit card or pay $40 with PayPal to create a cloud project in OVH Cloud.

Oh I can link my card if that's a possibility with out paying 40$ upfront. But Yeah have to look into that as that's the way I'm leaning.

@willie said:

simonindia said: in a ideal scenario I won't access this files any time in the next decade. store and forget kind of thing.

Oh I see. OVH Cloud Archive sounds good then. C14 has the disadvantages that 1) they charge you $10/TB not only to upload and download the files, but also to delete them. 2) they can only bill by charging your credit card the 1st of every month, and since CC payments always have a chance of going wrong, there's a vulnerability every month where the payment can fail and then you have drama, your files can be deleted if you're on vacation and miss the notification, or can't get it straightened out, etc. So I think it's better to use annual plans or maintain some credit balance for this type of thing, and Online doesn't support that.

Thanks yeah as reading a lot of reddit about C14 OVH CA makes much more sense.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

I use C14 myself (the 5e/TB version with no bandwidth fees) and it does seem safer than a typical backup server, but I see the payment restriction as a vulnerability. I mentioned that on their user forum a while back and I don't think they replied.

Thanked by 2simonindia vimalware
  • @willie said:
    I use C14 myself (the 5e/TB version with no bandwidth fees) and it does seem safer than a typical backup server, but I see the payment restriction as a vulnerability. I mentioned that on their user forum a while back and I don't think they replied.

Yeah that's issue for me it won't be more than 10 Euro/year so paying upfront will help.

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

simonindia said: Oh I can link my card if that's a possibility with out paying 40$ upfront. But Yeah have to look into that as that's the way I'm leaning.

Hint: If you use the European OVH Manager (here) you only have to deposit €10. The price for storage is about the same (object storage is $0.0112/GB for OVH CA Manager and €0,01 incl VAT for OVH EU Manager)

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • JorgeJorge Member

If you create your account with OVH in French language, then OVH is offering you many more, other and better payment options. I did this, using international company location info, and now have recurring payments, with OVH doing direct debits from my (European) bank account. But also options for recurring Paypal and credit card charging popped up.
    And after setup, I simply switched all to English language, so only the contracts are really in French...

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • szarkaszarka Member

If you're already using Google Drive for other stuff, note that their $10/month tier will be increasing from 1 TB to 2 TB soon. So, you might be able to squeeze your photos into the leftover space.

• @szarka said:
    If you're already using Google Drive for other stuff, note that their $10/month tier will be increasing from 1 TB to 2 TB soon. So, you might be able to squeeze your photos into the leftover space.

That's is for my business so that can't really do that. But I'm very confident on going with OVH CA. BUt haven't rules out B2 yet. Let see in reality using our members idea signing up with french or de OCH site I can over come the initial fees so I will most probably go with OVH CA.

• Hey @willie, I'm just fishing for opinions here, but what can you say regarding OVH Cloud Archive's claim of 100% file durability ("...an automated system is constantly ensuring the integrity of your data...if a missing fragment is detected, it's automatically rebuilt...") versus C14's where file verification is considered an operation and is billed accordingly (depending on the plan you choose)? Is that a deal-breaker of sort?

FWIW, C14's claim on the physical location of your files is kinda cool, to wit:

Your data are...stored in our 25 meter deep underground fallout shelter located in Paris, France. Without known natural, technological, and military risks, it's the right place to host your precious data.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@szarka said:

Isn't google photos free photo storage anyway? Unlimited photo storage for "high quality" photos. Sure sometimes original RAW is better quality but usually the pics still look great.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • bjobjo Member

An alternative to Hetzners Storage Box is also https://www.rsync.net/products/attic.html

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @Ympker said:

@szarka said:

Isn't google photos free photo storage anyway? Unlimited photo storage for "high quality" photos. Sure sometimes original RAW is better quality but usually the pics still look great.

The quality is ok for the most part but I don't want to give in to the giants. They already have more data on me than my self why expose my family and routines to the same. And its not like I can't pay a price for privacy. But yes if I was broke or don't care about privacy I would.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@simonindia said:

@Ympker said:

@szarka said:

The quality is ok for the most part but I don't want to give in to the giants. They already have more data on me than my self why expose my family and routines to the same. And its not like I can't pay a price for privacy. But yes if I was broke or don't care about privacy I would.

Fair enough although they could, you know, find a way to scan your drive content, too :P

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

Office 365 includes 1TB. The home option gives you 5 accounts =5x1TB. I don't know where you are from but generally that's available for under $100/year. That's $20/TB/year.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @willie said:
    200-300GB is tiny. C14 isn't really what you want because of the slow and heavy operations of getting the data in and out (it's more like Glacier than S3).

What about c14-intensive?

It would cost EUR1.5/mo for 300GB. For smaller amounts of data, this seems good. (no per-operation fee + very predictable cost.)

+rclone support

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • williewillie Member

vimalware said: What about c14-intensive?

It has the exact same slow/heavy operations as regular C14. Only the pricing scheme is different. But for cold archives it is fine. I had thought OP wanted S3-style storage.

Thanked by 2simonindia vimalware
  • simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited July 2018

@Ympker said:

Fair enough although they could, you know, find a way to scan your drive content, too :P

Yep, But already given them my business docs. Don't want disclose more personal things about my family and myself.

@tomle said:
    Office 365 includes 1TB. The home option gives you 5 accounts =5x1TB. I don't know where you are from but generally that's available for under $100/year. That's $20/TB/year.

Not today maybe someday.

@willie said:

vimalware said: What about c14-intensive?

It has the exact same slow/heavy operations as regular C14. Only the pricing scheme is different. But for cold archives it is fine. I had thought OP wanted S3-style storage.

Yes considered that as it is same cost as B2 but S3 compatible storage is not a requirement.

Just trying to get a reliable, cheap, long term storage. No requirement for S3 just SFTP would work. or FTPS.

@vimalware said:
    What about c14-intensive?

It would cost EUR1.5/mo for 300GB. For smaller amounts of data, this seems good. (no per-operation fee + very predictable cost.)

+rclone support

Yes it is in the consideration. As this costs same as B2