Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hiformance review - waste of time, money, and sanity
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hiformance review - waste of time, money, and sanity

These guys are posting cheaper and cheaper deals that seem too good to be true. Well, they are.

I've had multiple shared VPS with them for a few months. I bought additional VPS because the first one performed so well for a couple of days. Big mistake. Now I have given up on getting anything useful and just turned them all off.

Here's my experience:

• They massively oversell. You will get great performance for about a week. Then it will dive off a cliff.

• When I say horrible performance, I mean really absolutely trash.

• I measured CPU to be about 3x slower than a 1 GHz single-core VPS I have with Gestion
    • Disk write speeds of 30 MiB/s
    • Network transfer speeds of 50 MiB/s
  • They charge $5 for moving to a new location. The website used to advertise free location+data transfers. They removed that without notifying the customers. You are stuck on your oversubscribed node unless you pay more. They once moved me to a location I never requested, then asked me for $5 to move back

• Incompetent support staff

• I once specifically asked for transfer with data, they forgot my data. They actually deleted all my data…
    • They screwed up my network configuration so no outgoing traffic would work. I wasted about 4 hours finding and fixing the problem myself.
    • They will say they are doing something, but will never actually kick off the process. You have to remind them multiple times to actually do it.
  • Scamy practices. After I kept asking about the horrible performance, they admitted that it is normal for their shared VPS. They suggested I pay more and get the KVM plan. As if KVM can't be oversold...

• False advertisement. They are claiming 3.x kernel and docker support. The Ubuntu linux kernel is v2.6, which does not support docker.

If you wanna do anything remotely useful on your VPS, avoid Hiformance. Otherwise feel free to throw money at them.

Comments

• imokimok Member

And I almost buy a yearly plan. Thank you.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited July 2018

How "ssd " at Disk write speeds of 30 MiB/s?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Care to post some screenshots of your support tickets validating your claims?

I've had an opposite experience and am satisfied with my LA yearly. Put in a ticket to get a IPv6 block. First addresses they assigned were unrouteable, so I replied to the ticket. Waited a week (no big deal since I'm paying them pennies a month) and they resolved it. Have good network connectivity and disk speed (~700 MB/s). CPUs are older Xeons (X5650s) and I am on a 2.6* kernel -- but that's a non-issue for my needs.

Now, all I have experience with is their newer QuadraNet-based nodes, so I know nothing about the performance of the $10 yearlies they are pushing out.

Thanked by 1imok
  • Very happy HiFormance customer here

• If it's not too.much to ask, can you please tell which service or package you had that made this impression on you?
    Thanks.

• > @MasonR said:

Care to post some screenshots of your support tickets validating your claims?

Sure.

Here's benchmark from two different vps at two different locations:

Here's some responses from support staff:

• Here's wayback archive for when they advertised free location transfers: https://web.archive.org/web/20171204031043/http://hiformance.com:80/budget-vps-hosting

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

I first signed up with them around blackfriday and bought one of their VMs in LA. It took them a good couple of days to process the order, but they were incredibly helpful- to the extent that they set me up with an additional temporary partition to move and configure some stuff on the VM.

However, the actual performance of the VM was bad, which made it impossible to even use it as a sandbox for occasional work. So, I had to cancel the server within a day and ask them for a refund, which they promptly processed.

So, barring the actual performance of their VMs, their support seemed reasonably fair and helpful at that point.

• HybridHybrid Member

I've had both openvz and kvm, both worked flawlessly first couple of weeks, and then everything went downhill. At least you have 30MB/s IO write speed, mine was like 5MB/s.

I ended up moving everything away and I dont regret it.

Thanked by 1slurmdog
  • Same business model like woot/alpharacks?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2018

Curious what exactly one does where 30mb/s IO and 100mbit average connectivity isn't enough, but they want to use a shared environment.

I appreciate a buffer as much as anyone but on average I don't average more than 4mb/s disk write to busy servers.

• @jarland said:
    Curious what exactly one does where 30mb/s IO and 100mbit average connectivity isn't enough, but they want to use a shared environment.

I appreciate a buffer as much as anyone but on average I don't average more than 4mb/s disk write to busy servers.

MySQL

Thanked by 1jar
  • jihchijihchi Member

HiFormance OpenVZ VPS is really terrible, as @K4Y5 said, it's impossible to use it.

• I use their KVM in Dallas and am fairly happy with bandwidth speed. Yes, it is running on CC (mine is definitely not on quadranet), but its quite acceptable for the price I paid for an year.

You can not pay roughly $15/yr and expect dedicated server quality. Like everything else in life - you get what you pay for, and for the price - I must say I am OK with their service (aside from the IP being blacklisted right about everywhere I use it, but again - $15/yr).

• h2oh2o Member

You know what ? Have you seen this before: [LOAD AVG] over 100.00 due to the server is idle.

Four kings of overselling : alphark, hif, nfp, woot. (Virmach looks like retired.)

!!(╯' - ')╯ ︵ ┻━┻

• I am very disappointed. They just make my vps unvailable for days so far.
    It not fair .. They say they doing some maintenance. It is literally a rip off.
    Very

• edited July 2018

My experience with HiFormance was excellent for the first 3 months on my sign up for 1 year on their OpenVZ VPS plan (for something like $10 on a LET deal). Extremely minimal downtime and very good performance.

That being said, for the last 10 days it is has been unusably slow and terrible in every regard and I think this is gonna be permanent. I had 2 VPS and they seem to have had their CPU and bandwidth throttled to about 1% of what they used to be... I'll run some benchmarks and see what they say.

I also had a fun experience with them on a third VPS which was KVM went down a couple of days after it was created... so I filed a ticket and was told there was maintenance there. 2 months later, it still didn't work, still offline. That whole while I found it extremely odd that their support for my KVM VPS was so bad given that it costs $60 per year for that but their OZ which cost $10 had no issues whatsoever for the longest time, until recently.

• edited July 2018

Dallas, TX, United States VZ $10.00 USD Annually

-------------------------------------------------

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores:    2
    Frequency:    425.125 MHz
    RAM:          2.0G
    Swap:         2.0G
    Kernel:       Linux 2.6.32-042stab130.1 x86_64

Disks:
    Filesystem        Type      Size Inodes
    /dev/ploop ext4       20G   1.3M

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 92.5 us / 186.8 us / 21.8 ms / 491.0 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 5.72 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.40 GiB, 1.14 k iops, 286.1 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    301.36 MiB/s
        2nd run:    261.31 MiB/s
        3rd run:    310.90 MiB/s
        average:    291.19 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:     

Cachefly CDN:         74.75 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        5.66 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   1.14 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      0.22 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         9.47 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

Buffalo, NY, United States VZ $10.00 USD Annually

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz
    Frequency:    3500.068 MHz
    RAM:          2.0G
    Swap:         2.0G

Disks:

min/avg/max/mdev = 106.4 us / 281.9 us / 21.1 ms / 774.2 us
        generated 1.66 k requests in 5.01 s, 415.5 MiB, 331 iops, 82.9 MiB/s

1st run:    53.22 MiB/s
        2nd run:    54.36 MiB/s
        3rd run:    53.22 MiB/s
        average:    53.60 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    

Cachefly CDN:         74.06 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        13.33 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   1.22 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      11.02 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         26.53 MiB/s

Los Angeles, CA, United States VZ $11.99 USD Annually

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5650  @ 2.67GHz
    Frequency:    132.825 MHz
    RAM:          4.0G
    Swap:         -

Disks:

Segmentation fault
        Segmentation fault

1st run:    68.00 MiB/s
        2nd run:    73.81 MiB/s
        3rd run:    72.96 MiB/s
        average:    71.59 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:   

Cachefly CDN:         16.92 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        0.14 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   0.16 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      0.00 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         0.27 MiB/s

• edited July 2018

The CPU frequencies on all my benchmarks above are freaking weird...

And yeah.. It's slow in every way that you could concern someone.

Are they throttling me...? Do you guys think so or what?

The LA one is a mess and numerous ways. What the hell is going on there?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Looks fine for me, for a $10/yr machine

• idk - mine still works pretty well:

root@hiformance:~# curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from ColoCrossing (retracted)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Massive Networks (Dallas, TX) [1.73 km]: 2.309 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 543.90 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 272.72 Mbit/s

• @netomx said:
    Looks fine for me, for a $10/yr machine

It looks right now but it didn't quite look right before.

I totally agree with you on this. For me, and I'm sure the others who complain, the disappointment comes when the realization that the deal really wasn't as sweet as it initially appeared. You sign up and it's cheap and awesome... Then later it goes downhill, bad. Really, I can't complain about the OVZ deal at all, not for that price, except in the lack of consistency that lead to it ending up this bad after being so sweet for months.

For me, any complaining about I might do about them is more of a notice to new users on HiFo to know what they are signing up for because I only read rave reviews for months (hell, I even wrote such a review myself) but I'd bet the quality has gone down for everyone who wrote those reviews since...

• h2oh2o Member
    edited July 2018

I've the same one for a month.

It's not so bad, price = quality.

root@la_hif:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1K count=1M

1048576+0 records in

1048576+0 records out

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 8.90284 s, 121 MB/s

• @hiformance should change your business model if you don't want to be kicked out of business. I have a few orders with you and I have migrated away some, due to non-resolved and repeated disk frozen incidences. you should keep service to other users at least as good as service to your own website.

• They oversell too much...the service I had was up and down...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@JerryHou said:
    They oversell too much...the service I had was up and down...

This is hard to not come off as hating on them (that's not my attempt...for once), but I'm not sure how much you can expect from a provider doing $10/year services.

They rent all of their equipment and IP addresses from Colocrossing. CC goes out of their way to give crazy deals if you can show you're able to move inventory and pay your invoices in a reasonable time. I'm pretty sure they've grown out of the Nugget stage of their companies.

Even still, even if @jbiloh had a bit too much to drink one night and leases these guys a bunch of boxes w/ a /24 per server, RAID, and all that at $100/month each, they would still need to put 160 VM's on the node just to server/license cost/fees. Nevermind payroll.

The fact you guys can run a DD and get a double digit number in the MB's is a positive. There's too many times we see prices/resources like this in similar situations where people are able to write their data to paper faster than the arrays.

Francisco

• XortXort Member

Thanks for share bro.

• emghemgh Member

@Xort said:
    Thanks for share bro.

lol

Thanked by 2Yura PieHasBeenEaten
  • HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

One of their client just moved to my server :lol: said he lost 100gb data of his clients.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @Waqass said:
    One of their client just moved to my server :lol: said he lost 100gb data of his clients.

If I was that client you are referring to, I'd be looking for a new host that treats customers details a little more carefully instead of laughing at his expense. That's my 2 cents.